Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Possible frontal wave snow

Zelocita Weather

3 hours ago, Bluesnow said:

North shore Long Island micro-climate shines through again.  6.2” on the year for me here in Syosset.  3.2” from this one.  

I measured 3.2" which is on the PNS from OKX.  I only expected 2" from the storm but I'm not complaining about getting more.  Liking the start to winter so far compared to last year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I was going to ask too. Repositioning flight or legit someone just avoiding the bridges? How long would that flight be?

It's usually re-positioning aircraft.  I have seen Delta move planes from JFK to LGA on flightradar24 app.  United I think is big at EWR, so wonder if he was flying for them.  If private, that is one heck of a short flight to avoid traffic, helicopter would make more sense.

15 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Model analyses and short-term forecasts of vertical velocities are one way (RAP/HRRR especially), but they're subject to model depictions being correct.

RAP analyses are used in the SPC meso products - check out the winter weather and upper air sections for the relevant info.

The 12Z OKX sounding showed no dry air issues and had the dendritic growth zone centered near 500mb. So any parcels lifted from below into that layer will give you the better snow growth. 700mb (or likely just above this) frontogenesis is doing the trick now.

846081853_ScreenShot2019-12-11at9_06_22AM.png.96f21be3373da271a7a733764935d993.png

Very interesting. Thanks for the link. Will definitely gonna keep my eye on this during future storms, when DBZs aren't matching my window.