Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

8 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Something people seem to miss is how many die of the "regular " flu every winter, yet its mostly ignored. 18 in Connecticut the past 2 weeks have died from the flu. 100k nationwide, I seriously doubt it. And if so the same people who need to worry about the flu most  need to be watching

Yes.  Same most vulnerable population.  But having the flu if you’ve had a flu shot tends to soften the blow.  This ones new and our immune systems will react stronger.

I can’t work without a flu shot so it’s easy.  And at my age it’s a no brainer anyway.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yes.  Same most vulnerable population.  But having the flu if you’ve had a flu shot tends to soften the blow.  This ones new and our immune systems will react stronger.

I can’t work without a flu shot so it’s easy.  And at my age it’s a no brainer anyway.

Yes. We are required to get one also. School district we perform maintenance for requires it. I think it's a great idea 

7 hours ago, UnitedWx said:

No, not any more than anyone else. When something like this wants to spread, theres not a lot we can do til if and when theres a vaccine. The other funny thing is two doctors I work for have said that several patients who absolutely refuse to get flu shots have been beating down their doors asking when a covid vaccine will be available. Some people will always just be stupid idiots and let hype run their lives 

We don't have a robust screening/testing program...talk to some health care professionals. That's not to say Europe is much better. States and companies are ignoring CDC recommendations. See South Korea for a country who has seemed to excel in this situation. I'm not including China in that since it's a bit easier to lock things down when you're a police state. 

10 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Me too.  Plus I don't care if it's trump Obama or choose whomever you like... The president isn't the one that should be guiding us on issues like this anyway. So sick of how a virus gets politicized, like somehow it's the current president's fault

Nobody is saying it’s his fault. He does set the tone for the country though. When he says not to worry, it’s a hoax, yada yada yada, that’s not leadership. That’s just dangerous. If he can’t lead, step the heck back and let the adults handle it. He can claim credit for solving this after...

7 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I see lots of guidance 

It has to be consistent is what I’m saying based on evidence on the ground.  This week will give us a pretty good idea where we’re going with this. But right now there is poor coordination between states and feds and not enough tests to accurately diagnose in the system.  The new appropriation is fairly low and will probably have to be beefed up.  

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Dow May drop 1500 today.  Bad timing from my point of view....

Cash is king. However, I have a lot invested, I bought some more stock in one company last week, will watch today maybe purchase more, just hate letting cash go out, and of course will the next day be rock bottom? I say no

5 minutes ago, 512high said:

Cash is king. However, I have a lot invested, I bought some more stock in one company last week, will watch today maybe purchase more, just hate letting cash go out, and of course will the next day be rock bottom? I say no

In the long run...buy.  Buy lower now and enjoy the profits when it goes back up which it will inevitably.

• Like 1

A friend of mine got me hooked into Robinhood. I've only been doing this for maybe 6 weeks or so but it's been a ton of fun. My friend is killing it too...had a week where he made like $30,000 lol. I still don't fully understand trading/stocks but I guess he had these options but he acquired Tesla the day or two before it went up like $200+ in that one day...made out with $17,000. He also has more money than I do currently to play around with but my first purchase was a share of Microsoft when it was $167 and when it went up to over $180 I sold and made a little profit! My best was SPCE...bought 4 shares when it was $18 a share and a few days later it exploded to $40...then I sold at $32 just before it crashed down. Also made well with ADT. At some point soon there will be money to be made...should be able to get some excellent stocks low that should explode when this whole virus (hopefully) blows over. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

A friend of mine got me hooked into Robinhood. I've only been doing this for maybe 6 weeks or so but it's been a ton of fun. My friend is killing it too...had a week where he made like $30,000 lol. I still don't fully understand trading/stocks but I guess he had these options but he acquired Tesla the day or two before it went up like $200+ in that one day...made out with $17,000. He also has more money than I do currently to play around with but my first purchase was a share of Microsoft when it was $167 and when it went up to over $180 I sold and made a little profit! My best was SPCE...bought 4 shares when it was $18 a share and a few days later it exploded to $40...then I sold at $32 just before it crashed down. Also made well with ADT. At some point soon there will be money to be made...should be able to get some excellent stocks low that should explode when this whole virus (hopefully) blows over. 

Day trading isn't all that different than gambling. Just be careful and don't put in more than you can afford to lose. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Day trading isn't all that different than gambling. Just be careful and don't put in more than you can afford to lose. 

Oh for sure...I'm certainly not looking to get rich overnight haha. More of a way to slowly learn more about investing and perhaps make a small profit over time. My friend wasn't looking to get rich either...he just got like super lucky with those options of Tesla...but he had enough money so he also bought shares of ADT when it was $18...he bought 714 shares and made $10K haha. My goal though is definitely more long-term investing, but at the same time if I can do some stuff with day trading and just go from there. 

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Saw a sign this morning for $1.78 heating oil in the New Haven area. It will probably go even lower this week. Great time to fill for those that use oil. 

Wow, nothing close to that around here.  They generally raise prices the minute oil goes up but are slow to drop when it goes down. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow, nothing close to that around here.  They generally raise prices the minute oil goes up but are slow to drop when it goes down. 

I live right next to the port of New Haven where all the heating oil comes in by ship. Its way cheaper here as the truck fills from the port a few miles away. They dont have to move it far.

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I live right next to the port of New Haven where all the heating oil comes in by ship. Its way cheaper here as the truck fills from the port a few miles away. They dont have to move it far.

I live in the most rural (and poorest) county in Massachusetts and therefore generally have the highest oil and gas prices. 

EC76F678-B4D7-49C3-98B1-9D5033EBCDF5.thumb.jpeg.6d4d88a9130ecd0838c5fe807ac929e1.jpeg

• Like 1

ughhh does anyone know how to format in Excel to return average time? I'm pretty sure I have it setup properly but (I'm using 24-hr time) when I input times such as (0:11, 0:16, 0:07) it is throwing off what the average should be. A fix seems to be just convert into 12-HR time but I know there is a way to do it but can't figure it out.