Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Still getting used to seeing BOS colder than Cape Cod....what do you think Scooter? Give it another week or 10 days and see if it holds? It's starting to look like they definitely changed something though.

They've changed the whole reporting and logging of ASOS maintenance so that I can't even get in and see what if any work BOX has done lately. 

39 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They've changed the whole reporting and logging of ASOS maintenance so that I can't even get in and see what if any work BOX has done lately. 

That's a bummer...I'd be real interested to see if they changed anything.

The past few days heavily suggest that they have. Though I do remember a brief period last year when they seemed to be better before resuming their terrible readings...so I'm gonna give it another 10 days or so.

I harken back to my mindset 60 years ago tonight.   It was Thursday night 3/2/60 and we had heavy snow warnings amid fresh cold in NNJ after a garbage winter.  Of course Friday was school and they didn’t do pre emptive closings in those days,  7AM Friday morning snow begins and starts accumulating right away....you know it may be good when you have those immediate wisps of snow blowing in the street.  By 9am it’s raging and we’re stuck in school.   Noon dismissal at the storms height-my dad shows up in his Volkswagen Beetle and 6 of us pile in.  One of the big challenges was getting up the hill on west Englewood Avenue.  The storm raged into the night-an all timer kicking off a legit winter March month.   About 6 months later hurricane Donna, then 2 months after that JFK gets elected thanks to all the dead people voting in Chicago.  By mid December-we were  embarking on the epic winter of 1960-61.  Fun times.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Death toll at 19...Jesus :( 

And up to 21...just terrible. Looks life EF-4 to me based on the images I’ve seen but we will see what the survey says. Close to a worst case scenario with it being in the middle of the night and through a very populated area.

I read at least 14 of the fatalities were in Putnam county over by Cookeville which is well east of Nashville. They should of had plenty of lead time to take precautions but perhaps it didn’t matter with the strength and timing...

6FD12F8B-63E0-4508-938B-39D17D72C6CF.jpeg

4 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

And up to 21...just terrible. Looks life EF-4 to me based on the images I’ve seen but we will see what the survey says. Close to a worst case scenario with it being in the middle of the night and through a very populated area.

I read at least 14 of the fatalities were in Putnam county over by Cookeville which is well east of Nashville. They should of had plenty of lead time to take precautions but perhaps it didn’t matter with the strength and timing...

6FD12F8B-63E0-4508-938B-39D17D72C6CF.jpeg

At first i was thinking strong EF2/weak EF3 but the latest stuff I saw has me thinking high end Ef3...at least. Terrible situation 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

At first i was thinking strong EF2/weak EF3 but the latest stuff I saw has me thinking high end Ef3...at least. Terrible situation 

Ya we shall see, I think the damage in Cookeville might end up being EF-4 (photos below.) Not that it really matters. The toll is staggering regardless what it gets rated. 

7595F25A-603F-4A71-92FB-357E15A754EB.jpeg

7764E985-BD0A-40EC-8992-4501EEA3813B.jpeg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

Lead time is only good with proper dissemination methods. If people turn off phone notifications and/or don't have a weather radio it's unlikely they get the warning. Sirens are in effect an outdoor warning system, and not designed to wake you up in the middle of the night. And if you aren't already watching TV you aren't going to get break ins in coverage. Nocturnal tornadoes are a big problem.

TDS height suggests EF3 strength.

16 hours ago, weathafella said:

I harken back to my mindset 60 years ago tonight.   It was Thursday night 3/2/60 and we had heavy snow warnings amid fresh cold in NNJ after a garbage winter.  Of course Friday was school and they didn’t do pre emptive closings in those days,  7AM Friday morning snow begins and starts accumulating right away....you know it may be good when you have those immediate wisps of snow blowing in the street.  By 9am it’s raging and we’re stuck in school.   Noon dismissal at the storms height-my dad shows up in his Volkswagen Beetle and 6 of us pile in.  One of the big challenges was getting up the hill on west Englewood Avenue.  The storm raged into the night-an all timer kicking off a legit winter March month.   About 6 months later hurricane Donna, then 2 months after that JFK gets elected thanks to all the dead people voting in Chicago.  By mid December-we were  embarking on the epic winter of 1960-61.  Fun times.

The wisps are telltale!

• Like 1

NH’s 1st Coronavirus Patient, Told to Stay Isolated, Went to Event Instead

New Hampshire has identified a second, presumptive case of coronavirus in a man who was in close contact with the first patient, who attended an event across the state border in Vermont.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coronavirus/2nd-presumed-case-coronavirus-new-hampshire/2240615/

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 11:10 PM, weathafella said:

Our NNJ school also let us out at noon, with 7-8" of fluff at mid-teens, first big snow I'd seen at sub-20 temps, 18" total.  Then Dec 11-12 brought another 18" at low teens and the JFK inaugural storm 20" at near 10.  The capper, 24"+ on Feb 3-4, came with the more common mid-upper 20s along with monster winds.  March 1960 was the only time I saw our larger lake re-freeze in March after a Feb ice out (and probably to safe thickness though the "safe ice" red ball flag wasn't re-raised.)

Snowfall this March remains an unknown, but I highly doubt there will be any cold to match 3/60 - maybe a cold day or 2 (1st-2nd were 5° BN) but not the extended bunches of 10-15° BN of that March.

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Alcohol is the real gateway drug.

It’s highly addictive and kills, but it’s legal and socially encouraged. Strange double standard. Most of us know and have been arguing for decades, just have to get the politicians off their “just say no” high horse as they chug down a bottle of wine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I actually prefer the tinctures, I know the dose i'm getting.

I tried a tincture at a bar once and about an hour later I couldn’t move my arms.  Walked home and it was so unnerving sitting my living room, felt so relaxed I wouldn’t have moved if the house was on fire.  I’m assuming you’d build a tolerance?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s highly addictive and kills, but it’s legal and socially encouraged. Strange double standard. Most of us know and have been arguing for decades, just have to get the politicians off their “just say no” high horse as they chug down a bottle of wine. 

Yeah I have no issues with the herb.  Don’t do it regularly but it seems so much better than booze.  Alcohol makes me feel on edge and gets people aggressive.  No bar fight was ever started by someone who just lit one up and you don’t hear of folks toking then abusing their spouses or kids...but plenty of those stories with booze.

The double standard that alcohol is ok and socially accepted but someone who uses a flower to relax must be a stoner.  Might as well call anyone who enjoys a glass of wine an alcoholic.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I tried a tincture at a bar once and about an hour later I couldn’t move my arms.  Walked home and it was so unnerving sitting my living room, felt so relaxed I wouldn’t have moved if the house was on fire.  I’m assuming you’d build a tolerance?

Its called couch locked...lol,  It depends if your using a THC strain as opposed to a CBD strain of tincture as well as the dosage, THC will give you more of a euphoric, "high" and CBD will be more of a sedative for pain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

The old port is a great place especially in the summer, Been to Sebago Brewing, Bissell Bros, Maine Beer Co, Flight Deck, Allagash, Bear Bones and i could go on and on, It doesn't end.

I’ve been to all those but tonight was first at Sebago. Had a smoking bartender which made it even better. I bought 2 cases total of beers at various breweries I stopped at. Some for me, some for friends . Came back and just did 90 minutes of work from hotel . Walked down to Marriott AC bar and there was one heffer and one dude. So I quickly circled and came back to room. Gonna call it a night. It’s been a fun, but long couple of days of driving, meetings, sales , and beers . 3 more tomorrow in Portland then home 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I have no issues with the herb.  Don’t do it regularly but it seems so much better than booze.  Alcohol makes me feel on edge and gets people aggressive.  No bar fight was ever started by someone who just lit one up and you don’t hear of folks getting high then abusing their spouses or kids...but plenty of those stories with booze.

The double standard that alcohol is ok and socially accepted but someone who uses a flower to relax must be a stoner.  Might as well call anyone who enjoys a glass of wine an alcoholic.

That’s the argument, agree. Add in drunk driving deaths and no further discussion/comparison is needed. I have no issues with alcohol either (even though I known it’s worse for your health and mental state) ...to each is own. Just give people the freedom, that’s all. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

How do you function drinking so much? I can drink a few good beers one night, get a little silly, but then not even look at one for another month or two. I have some in my fridge from the last play date my kids had...the saturday before the SB. No desire. I guess I’m just not a big drinker, it’s a waste of carbs too. 

I have 2 a night weekdays and 3 sometimes more depending on functions weekends. Still get up to run. The secret is early bedtimes and exercise along with healthy eating . For me , going to bed early my whole life has served me well. I’m a total morning person but wilt by 8:30 PM. I know that doesn’t work for everyone, though I do believe you can train oneself to early to sleep early to rise 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have 2 a night weekdays and 3 sometimes more depending on functions weekends. Still get up to run. The secret is early bedtimes and exercise along with healthy eating . For me , going to bed early my whole life has served me well. I’m a total morning person but wilt by 8:30 PM. I know that doesn’t work for everyone, though I do believe you can train oneself to early to sleep early to rise 

I rise at 5 am each morning bed 10 or 11. Some people need more sleep than others. A 30 minute power nap is really great to reenergize the day. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m up at 430/5 weekdays but kids too young and too much to do after they get tucked in to call it night early. But if I drank daily, I couldn’t wake up early nor workout lol. I’d probably call out sick often too. Alcohol gives me headaches and I suffer from migraines as it is. Eating well, exercising, meditation, and cbd/thc has greatly helped... but alcohol can be a trigger as I don’t sleep well afterwards which ultimately leads to a sluggish next day. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

It is funny how Dr Dews thinks weed is so bad. Is he like 75 years old or something. 

Both are dangerous, both have short term and long term effects. Marijuana is worse health-wise, unless someone is drinking very heavily (BEYOND two drinks/day). Then I'd say it is about equal or eventually, the alcohol is worse if we are talking about toxic levels of drinking

The whole weed fad and recreation is great for stoners, prices came way down due to influxes of b-c grade on the underground market.

I don't care what others do honestly...it is just innocent ribbing. But those who are flippant about either ones risks are pretty silly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1