Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

21 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Is it too late to hand out the syllabus with the grading criteria for this course?

A big chunk is seasonal snowfall

Cold

Pack depth

Pack retention

# of storms.  Possibly number of warning events?  

Extra credit for things like thundersnow, WINDEX events, tornadoes, frost quakes

weenie away

:weenie:
My grading system rates temps (cold is better) and snowfall, with pack and blockbusters (or lack of same) adding subjectivity.  It uses the 4/3/2/1/0 for grades, with +/- adding or subtracting .33, just like when I was in college. 
A:  Best or near best at my location.  I've given A++ (5 pt) for snow/cold that breaks records at the Farmington co-op. 3/01, 4/07 (SN), 3/14, 2/15 (temp). 
B:  Significantly better than average
C:  At/near average
D:  Significantly worse than average
F:  Worst or near worst.  I gave 12/15 an F- (-0.33 points) for temps as it obliterated Dec warmth records by huge margins.

hopefully a quick change to rain wherever you are headed

Thanks.  However, my homeward drive gains both elevation and latitude, so p-type changes (if any) tend toward the opposite direction.

• Weenie 1

On 2/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, Dr. Dews said:

mild and quiet wx, just perfection for one and all

could be worse. might turn out better. eventually the forsythia will bloom and we'll know that its over no matter what surprises may come up the coast. And then there is the hope that NEXT year it will be better. dr dews is like someone who loves to pull off band-aids. everyone's gotta have their fun. and nothing wrong with a little dose of "get real" counter-propaganda. 

43 minutes ago, tamarack said:

This morning I heard a chickadee singing its "phee-bee" spring song, with temps about zero and snow on the way.  Brave little fellow.

I've strangely been hearing that all winter even on the cooler mornings. It's been much more frequent than previous winters.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

So we just discovered a -41 at Jackman Saturday morning. Nice fake cold.

Speaking of fake cold, this place in Utah called Peter Sinks records some ridiculous cold temperatures.  I saw they are -46F this morning.

In October (2019) they set the United States record (including Alaska) for coldest temperature ever for that month at -45.5F.

Back in 1969 they hit -69F.

The tiny valley is ringed by aspen trees and conifers, and it doesn’t look or feel that different than the surrounding mountains. Until you get to the bottom. 

Down there, the coldest October temperature ever recorded in the United States was measured last Wednesday, and that includes Alaska.

“There could be a 40 to 50-degree temperature difference over a few hundred feet as you walk up and down the side of this little depression up there," said Jon Meyer, a climate scientist with the Utah Climate Center. "Nothing would trigger in any sort of thought that this is a really fantastic meteorological place." 

The spot was recognized as an outlier in 1985 when a Utah State University graduate student measured the temperature on a hunch. He found the second coldest recording in the continental United States, negative 69 degrees Fahrenheit.

peter_sinks__6_.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of fake cold, this place in Utah called Peter Sinks records some ridiculous cold temperatures.  I saw they are -46F this morning.

In October (2019) they set the United States record (including Alaska) for coldest temperature ever for that month at -45.5F.

Back in 1969 they hit -69F.

peter_sinks__6_.jpg

We had a long disco on them this past October when they broke the state monthly cold record. 

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There are a few of these areas all over. I know of one not far from State College PA. They call it the barrens.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0477(1980)061<1368%3ATBCPYR>2.0.CO%3B2

There is a spot in southern RI called Wood River surrounding by pines at the bottom of hills in sandy soil.  It has the lowest recorded temperature in RI and its barely 7 miles from the coast. I lived a half mile from there and you could literally feel the cold as you walked down. 

I know most are hesitant on sharing this type of stuff but I don't care, always worth a shot. 

Was laid off this AM. Have experience in a variety of areas. Most recently a project manager last few years. 

If anyone has anything in mind in Boston or South shore please shoot me a message. I can forward resume. Thanks guys. 

39 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I know most are hesitant on sharing this type of stuff but I don't care, always worth a shot. 

Was laid off this AM. Have experience in a variety of areas. Most recently a project manager last few years. 

If anyone has anything in mind in Boston or South shore please shoot me a message. I can forward resume. Thanks guys. 

Best of luck Jay  , you will be ok. Use your network extensively 

• Like 1