Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’ve never seen it so bad in here.  

I can’t pass judgment on anyone because I have over 40” of snow this year but the melts have been many. 

Yeah I don’t remember this bad of a division in other poor winters for whatever reason.  11-12 and 15-16 didn’t have this type of total forum melt down.  Maybe expectations are just higher?

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I don’t remember this bad of a division in other poor winters for whatever reason.  11-12 and 15-16 didn’t have this type of total forum melt down.  Maybe expectations are just higher?

11/12 was easy to stomach, nothing to track really and LR guidance never showed good/great potential like this season IIRC, multiple headfakes past two months. 15/16 super nino, most knew it would be tough sledding from the get go. Regardless, bad stretches are a necessary evil.

8 hours ago, psv88 said:

Nice to see this forum melting down. Usually it’s NYC

Backed by science, it is mostly CT or NJ/NY transplants. A few MA, too. Disposition of neuroticism translates to weather and with SAD and etc., probably peaks in winter

https://www.google.com/amp/s/observer.com/2011/10/the-neuroses-of-new-york/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2016/10/06/your-therapist-is-secretly-judging-you/amp/

13 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

Backed by science, it is mostly CT or NJ/NY transplants. A few MA, too. Disposition of neuroticism translates to weather and with SAD and etc., probably peaks in winter

https://www.google.com/amp/s/observer.com/2011/10/the-neuroses-of-new-york/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2016/10/06/your-therapist-is-secretly-judging-you/amp/

I'm one of those so from my perspective this has basically been a non-existent winter for me even living on the coast. My expectations after moving here 3 years ago were for much better winters with a lot more snow then where I grew up. Probably why this winter has been a big disappointment with the climo difference.

I'd say for anybody south of a line from ALB-ORH-PSM, this winter has been crap relative to what we're all used to. The lack of cold has been amazing and of course with that comes a lack of snow, the thing we all (99% of us at least) truly crave.

48 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I'm one of those so from my perspective this has basically been a non-existent winter for me even living on the coast. My expectations after moving here 3 years ago were for much better winters with a lot more snow then where I grew up. Probably why this winter has been a big disappointment with the climo difference.

I'd say for anybody south of a line from ALB-ORH-PSM, this winter has been crap relative to what we're all used to. The lack of cold has been amazing and of course with that comes a lack of snow, the thing we all (99% of us at least) truly crave.

I have seen many crap winters in sne, this isn't one. Speaking for NW of Boston. Not good, but not terrible

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

Right..I am near or south of that line and it isn't that bad. A couple snows away from respectable and near avg.

That line is a sharp line with regards to seasonal snow amounts. Near and NW of that line hasn't been a "crap winter" due to much more snow then compared to places like BOS/PVD/OWD.

There will be and has been noticeable differences wrt seasonal snow amounts south to north of that line. Differences to the point of it being categorized as a bad winter and a decent/okay winter in a very short distance IMO.

For most south of the Pike, it's been a garbage winter with little snow and cold. Reminds me of a winter 2001-2002. One decent areawide snowstorm (during the tuck rule game I believe) and lots of warmth. Correct me if I'm wrong

2 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

funny, I just had a Facebook memory from last year, pretty much sharing the same sentiment of this year in terms of lack of storms and snowfall...iirc, we did get one good weekend in late February and one big deal in March.which saved the winter from total disaster

It looks tough going forward. We went on a run from here on out last year. Maybe “run” is a little bit of an embellishment....but I made up significant ground. 

18 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Only got to down to 1 here.  Just might go the entire winter without a below zero reading.

Meanwhile, I noticed some -35's in NNH & NME.

I have more tapping to do today but will wait a bit for things to warm up a bit.  Tapping in the cold risks splitting the tree and I don't want that!

Heard some tree popping last evening as I walked the dog with temp -13, with one especially loud pop from a spot with maple and ash, undoubtedly from one of the maples.  Had mid -20s this morning, about 99% chance it's the coldest morning of the winter.  (And close to the median for bottom of winter here.)

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Heard some tree popping last evening as I walked the dog with temp -13, with one especially loud pop from a spot with maple and ash, undoubtedly from one of the maples.  Had mid -20s this morning, about 99% chance it's the coldest morning of the winter.  (And close to the median for bottom of winter here.)

One year I tapped when it was pretty cold (single digits/teens) and I don't know if I was putting the taps in too hard or the fact that I put the tap in while it was cold and I had a few trees develop vertical cracks.  Just want to avoid that again!

We might have a shot next weekend with that cold shot for a colder reading but you might be right...this morning might have been our coldest, that's for sure.

Looking forward to another sunny day.  Going to be one of the worst months for solar production. Yesterday was the first decent sunny day this month. 

Yessir... yesterday, today and maybe one other good day earlier this month. Last month was my highest producing January in the 6 years I've had the panels on my roof. This will easily be the lowest February.
  • Like 1