Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

32 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Ha, funny. Yeah when I lived in the city, people almost enjoyed (in a sick way) helping others dig out. Like that article said, you skip by the pleasantries and just help others dig out. It’s not the most friendly city, but I always felt like people looked out for one another. 
Epstein is right that we enter winter later and come out earlier in the future....but we dove into winter heat first this year...jumped out of it thanks to AK vortex and haven’t been back in lol. You can blame AK for this...not CC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha, funny. Yeah when I lived in the city, people almost enjoyed (in a sick way) helping others dig out. Like that article said, you skip by the pleasantries and just help others dig out. It’s not the most friendly city, but I always felt like people looked out for one another. 
Epstein is right that we enter winter later and come out earlier in the future....but we dove into winter heat first this year...jumped out of it thanks to AK vortex and haven’t been back in lol. You can blame AK for this...not CC.

Tip just smashed his keyboard 

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, the pig made a late home in Ak at the end of December. Usually, we get some earlier signs that the vortex might be a problem in that region. With the way December started it was kind of a quick reversal.

What a Sunday out there.

-22F this morning on the full moon clear skies, fresh deep pack...it looked like the surface of the moon this morning at -20s.

Sun is out and temps are rising fast.  16" of snow depth in the yard.

There's still a pretty good glaze from the ZR before the snow on the pines...they are feeling it after acouple days of solid weight.

Snow_Feb_9.jpg.7d9ab73a5a059e0fab857d6168a72344.jpg

I know its the law in NH/ME but i don't know about other states but clean the ice and snow of your vehicles as i was close to getting killed Saturday when a sheet of ice came off a truck heading in the opposite direction and hit my door post taking out my windshield and driver side mirror.

image.png.8851f041a7f82fbe6bf687c97f30374a.png

image.png.2f991fe62026a8b66274b7a3964f1f78.png

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I know its the law in NH/ME but i don't know about other states but clean the ice and snow of your vehicles as i was close to getting killed Saturday when a sheet of ice came off a truck heading in the opposite direction and hit my door post taking out my windshield and driver side mirror.

Yikes. I just saw a post on a sled FB site saying the same thing happened to them on Rt. 16 in Ossipee, NH. It’s the law here in VT. Glad you’re ok. 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Kirkwood Mountain in CA has a sensor by "Chair 6" gusting to 209 mph in the last couple of hours.

That's dangerously close to taking MWN down as the tops in the USA.

I could have set a sensor at the summit of Kennebago Mtn for you yesterday at 3,750'...........:)

image.png.3a86032f948f7ebd6d49937d6b26dc63.png

image.png.8502738355339a94d1821a6713bdcfa7.png

image.png.83748c68a64ff0d7f65d0e4288385be0.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Assholes 

40 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Amazing how warm it's been at night this winter. Since about mid-December it's truly been a toaster bath.

Even worse the last 30 days. What a crap, non-existent winter.

Not sure how you can say that.  Met winter is December, January and February regardless of the weather.  What else would you call it?  Sure it's a crappy winter but it's still winter.  Also, despite that map, locations in NNE haven't done half bad snowfall wise either.

I've mentioned this before but it's a tool that I really like because it lets you objectively compare one winter/location with another and that's the winter severity index.  It takes temperatures, snowfall and snow depth and length of season into account.  It starts the first day and ends the last day of measurable snow or a daily max temp of 32 or less.  It assigns points for max temps, min temps, snowfall and snow depth.  You add them up and get the total number of points for a winter and then you can look at the percentile that the winter lines up and determine empirically if it was a mild, average or extreme winter for that location.  What's cool about that is that you can compare one location to another, not on points but on percentile of the total.

Take a look at this map and you can see how different locations are lining up.  It also explains the data a little more.

https://mrcc.illinois.edu/research/awssi/indexAwssi.jsp

Bottom line, you can't assess the complete winter until all the data is in and then it's not based on just one data point.  Even if it's the mildest winter, it's still a winter.

FWIW, I'm currently at 377 points, well within the mild category and #32 out of 35.

• Like 1