Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

6 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Buying a car is still kind of the worst though. Although, this experience wasn’t as bad as others.

was able to get money off the price and more for my trade with some negotiation... mostly done online.

Finance guy was kind of a dink after I declined all warranties they offer, (which were like half the price of the truck in some instances). My guess is a lot of the money he makes is tied to that 

When we bought a new Subaru last year they tried to sneak nitrogen filled tires and vin etching on for like $800 on the final price. Both are an absolute scam if you look it up.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 1:07 PM, DavisStraight said:

Last time I went up there for three days it snowed the whole time we were there, only totalled 7-8 inches but was pretty cool. Moose fart snow.

Yeah. This place is such a weenie spot and there were flakes in the air all day yesterday. Looked it up and they average over 300 inches a year. I actually extended my stay untill tomorrow as we are going to get 1-3 tonight and tomorrow looks awesome for skiing.

6 lifts, 71 trails, and the highest base elevation in the Northeast (2100 ft). We average over 300″ of natural snow every year and our groomers are some of the best of the game.

Expect snow accumulations between a dusting to one
inch outside the mountains, with one to three inches across the
high terrain. Mild temperatures are expected Monday and Tuesday
with highs in the upper 30s to low 40s.

20200131-100615.jpg

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Is there any online weather data from the summit?

Not that I know of.  Given Gov. Baxter's "forever wild" dictum, there's no instruments there.  It gets some winter use (advance permit needed from Baxter Park staff) and maybe some hikers have taken measurements.  Park employees did record a 94" pack at Chimney Pond (about 3,000) 3 years ago for a new state record.  AFAIK, Farmington's 84" on 2/28/69 was the old one.

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not that I know of.  Given Gov. Baxter's "forever wild" dictum, there's no instruments there.  It gets some winter use (advance permit needed from Baxter Park staff) and maybe some hikers have taken measurements.  Park employees did record a 94" pack at Chimney Pond (about 3,000) 3 years ago for a new state record.  AFAIK, Farmington's 84" on 2/28/69 was the old one.

47242355_2273322712887368_62977657794042

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean the views are killer.

21414721_10104297432312995_5028238257652

21368699_10104297431175275_4958283015609

Looks like Chimney Pond seen from the Knife Edge trail, then Pamola from near Baxter Peak (the summit.)

Maybe I was thinking of Big Squaw Mountain in Greenville.  Their webpage was not loading for me so not sure if they are still open.

It's open to midstation as a club area, almost certainly natural snow only.

Me too!  I'd also like to see that Eagle Lake region. 

Allagash Waterway or northeast Aroostook near the town of Eagle Lake?  (Or Acadia - there's a sizable Eagle Lake there, too.)

The 10 years I lived in Fort Kent my work area was mainly bounded by Nine Mile Bridge (on the St. John); St.-Pamphile, PQ; Estcourt, PQ; and Allagash village, with an occasional trip to the forest north and south of Eagle (the NE Aroostook version.)  Nowadays I occasionally get to our Round Pond (on the Allagash) and Telos (abuts the NW corner of Baxter) tracts.  And crossing from Jackman or into St.-Pamphile is the same forest-to-farm experience.  The latter is a mill town; 2 spruce-fir mills and a cedar mill process about a half million cords per year, 90%+ from Maine.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Looks like Chimney Pond seen from the Knife Edge trail, then Pamola from near Baxter Peak (the summit.)

From the very end of the Knife's Edge (we didn't hike it but walked over to the start of it just to peek) and that second one is actually Baxter Peak from Hamlin. 

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

I have a friend who goes riding up in the Saguenay and he says it’s beautiful. I’ve done so little exploring in PQ other than Montreal. I’ve really have to do more

We went up there in September and it's an awesome place.  The higher elevations south of Sanguenay are the southern reaches of the Taiga forest.  North of that it's the treeline.  It's amazing seeing miles and miles of conifer trees.  That corridor sees so much snow too.  I always look at the NOHRSC map and it has some of the deepest snow in the east.  Throw in a couple of Canadian National Parks and it's a unique place to visit not too far from many of us.  If it weren't for my maple business, I'd go up there some spring when they are have 80-100" of snow on the ground (not this year!).

I've also drove north to Labrador in the 90s and it was amazing.  You could tell the trees were stunted versions of themselves.  There's also a road that goes to James Bay (the southern part of Hudson Bay) and the Trans Taiga Road which at the end is the remotest place you can drive to in North America.  I think it's the furthest you can get from a town in North America.  Remote is just a relative term...

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The 10 years I lived in Fort Kent my work area was mainly bounded by Nine Mile Bridge (on the St. John); St.-Pamphile, PQ; Estcourt, PQ; and Allagash village, with an occasional trip to the forest north and south of Eagle (the NE Aroostook version.)  Nowadays I occasionally get to our Round Pond (on the Allagash) and Telos (abuts the NW corner of Baxter) tracts.  And crossing from Jackman or into St.-Pamphile is the same forest-to-farm experience.  The latter is a mill town; 2 spruce-fir mills and a cedar mill process about a half million cords per year, 90%+ from Maine.

I've taken various trips to the North Maine Woods.  One of them in the 90s I naively thought we could just cross into Canada and that it wasn't just for commercial traffic on those remote logging roads.  After a week of camping we crossed at St Pamphile I believe and following the signs we stopped on the U.S. side and found out that we were not supposed to cross.  We had hotel reservations in Quebec and it was the afternoon so after some back and forth the lady said something like she couldn't stop us.  We took that as a hint and went to Canadian customs to see what they would say and after getting the third degree and our car FULLY searched they let us through.  It's amazing driving out of the forest and into the farmland as you say.  I imagine that most of New England looked that 150 years ago.

In September we went to Escourt Station (via Canada) and it was neat to visit the northern tip of New England like that.

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Buying a car is still kind of the worst though. Although, this experience wasn’t as bad as others.

was able to get money off the price and more for my trade with some negotiation... mostly done online.

Finance guy was kind of a dink after I declined all warranties they offer, (which were like half the price of the truck in some instances). My guess is a lot of the money he makes is tied to that 

I just bought a 2016 Honda CRV from the dealership. It was on sale for 16k from 20k but with all the taxes and the 3 year warranty I bought , it came out to 21k.

The car looks brand new and only has 20k miles.

8 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

It is, they make a lot of money selling those warranties. Little known fact, if you happen to buy one (don't) and you get rid of the vehicle before the warranties up you get a refund of the remaining time.

My car only came with a 2 month warranty but I bought a 3 year warranty for 2, 300. It is worth just incase something happens.

40 minutes ago, MBRI said:

Phil said its over

Did it ever start ?

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

When we bought a new Subaru last year they tried to sneak nitrogen filled tires and vin etching on for like $800 on the final price. Both are an absolute scam if you look it up.

Yeah, not surprising. I think they make most of their money from add ons, fees, and selling warranty policies.

I got a bunch of horror stories about this that and the other thing from the guy. I felt like saying, if this is all true, you should probably start selling better cars.

These warranties also cover a bunch of stuff that your insurance policy covers, so you’d basically be paying twice for the same thing.

They wanted like 1200 bucks for glass replacement with no deductible. I have that coverage on my insurance policy and I don’t think it adds up to that much money. I think that is a pretty standard coverage for most insurance in mass too, so I can’t imagine why’d you’d need to buy that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

These warranties also cover a bunch of stuff that your insurance policy covers, so you’d basically be paying twice for the same thing.

They wanted like 1200 bucks for glass replacement with no deductible. I have that coverage on my insurance policy and I don’t think it adds up to that much money. I think that is a pretty standard coverage for most insurance in mass too, so I can’t imagine why’d you’d need to buy that.

My car warranty doesnt cover glass , batteries or Tires.

Guess I’ve never had to deal with car warranties.  I’ve always had new ones that have the warranty.  I’ve been getting the prepaid maintenance plans though with the miles I drive.  They end up being cheaper up front and not having to think about coming up with $100-300 every other month to cover maintenance is peace of mind.  I just got a new 2019 CX-5 and for 75k mi the plan was like $1800 spread out over 36mo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

From the very end of the Knife's Edge (we didn't hike it but walked over to the start of it just to peek) and that second one is actually Baxter Peak from Hamlin. 

So the 2nd one includes the entire Knife's Edge?  Walked that trail (both ways, father in law with achy knees waited at the summit) in 1973.  Can't think of a more heart-in-mouth trail open to the general public in New England.  The sides of Chimney Peak (last one before Pamola) were special fun.  Met a family on the trailwho had been there a year earlier, also in early August, and they had to walk just below the trail on its south due to the windblown sleet.

19 minutes ago, tamarack said:

So the 2nd one includes the entire Knife's Edge?  Walked that trail (both ways, father in law with achy knees waited at the summit) in 1973.  Can't think of a more heart-in-mouth trail open to the general public in New England.  The sides of Chimney Peak (last one before Pamola) were special fun.  Met a family on the trailwho had been there a year earlier, also in early August, and they had to walk just below the trail on its south due to the windblown sleet.

I’m a somewhat experienced hiker and I have no interest in that trail.  Lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Just out of curiosity, anybody know if today's record high of 55 degrees most recently set in 2014 at KBOS is the lowest record high for the winter season? I'm sure there's tons of places online to look really quick but I don't have any links. TYIA

Yes that is the lowest record high of any date for BOS.