Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, met_fan said:

I drove for three weeks around Europe this summer and I saw about 20 pickup trucks that weren’t clearly company vehicles.

This isn't Europe.  It's America.  We live differently & there's nothing wrong with that.  That's why they come here to see America, not a mirror copy of them.

Pickups are handy utilitarian vehicles with lots of room to haul things to and from stores for yard work, home projects, trash, helping neighbors, etc.  With crew cabs you also get a vehicle that has more room than a phone booth on wheels and a better view of the road.  There are not the best for urban areas but as someone mentioned, they are good for home owners and there aren't too many single family homes in cities.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

From 1/24-2/26...I mean virtually a month, the Hingham guy had 100.3"  I need to go back and look, but I know I'm similar with a bit more. I mean that's just not going to happen again in my lifetime. 

Hingham coop peaked at a 43 inch pack too.....and 26 consecutive days over a 30 inch pack.

It's too bad that newer NW Weymouth coop doesn't have good snow depth data....they had some choppy readings....they had 24 inches on 2/5 and then recorded 27.8" in the Feb 7-9 storm and then had another 14.5" in the Feb 14-15 storm but never recorded the depth again that winter.

Though Blue Hill had even better numbers and I think their peak depth was 46 inches. Gets hard to add depth once you are up in that range. You really want higher water content snow at that point mixed into the pack. These were mostly powder.

This isn't Europe.  It's America.  We live differently & there's nothing wrong with that.  That's why they come here to see America, not a mirror copy of them.
Pickups are handy utilitarian vehicles with lots of room to haul things to and from stores for yard work, home projects, trash, helping neighbors, etc.  With crew cabs you also get a vehicle that has more room than a phone booth on wheels and a better view of the road.  There are not the best for urban areas but as someone mentioned, they are good for home owners and there aren't too many single family homes in cities.

I’m well aware of the characteristics of a truck
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, it’s a pretty good deal but unfortunately the Greenfield Home Depot only has two trucks and it’s first come first serve with no reservations.

Nearest Home Depot is 30 miles away, not practical for hauling a half ton of firewood a couple hundred yards, or other similar short-haul trips.  Since 1994 I've driven 2 Rangers separated by a Ranger clone (Mazda) and put about 375k total on the 3 vehicles.  All 3 have been 2WD and mileage runs 28+ in summer, 23-25 in winter.  Unfortunately the reborn Ranger is about 1,000 lb heavier and gets 30% poorer mileage.  Had a hard time finding a mid-range miles Ranger closer than PA 5 years ago - not sure what I'll choose when this one is done.

45 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Nearest Home Depot is 30 miles away, not practical for hauling a half ton of firewood a couple hundred yards, or other similar short-haul trips.  Since 1994 I've driven 2 Rangers separated by a Ranger clone (Mazda) and put about 375k total on the 3 vehicles.  All 3 have been 2WD and mileage runs 28+ in summer, 23-25 in winter.  Unfortunately the reborn Ranger is about 1,000 lb heavier and gets 30% poorer mileage.  Had a hard time finding a mid-range miles Ranger closer than PA 5 years ago - not sure what I'll choose when this one is done.

We have two smaller Subarus right now and I often miss having a bigger vehicle.

I had a Dodge Caravan that I liked because you could take the bench seats out for bigger loads.

We will probably get an SUV again in a year or so. 

14 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I dunno.  I’ve owned a home since 1998 without one.  I wouldn’t mind one but manage without it.  
I’ve got nothing against trucks. The <1% of the time I would need one doesn’t justify it for me personally.  

Same here.  Never owned a truck personally nor growing up a kid.

No need for one.

You drive like me.  I put 20-25kmi a year on my vehicle as does my wife.

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Home Depot here has a huge fleet now of trucks and box vans they rent out dirt cheap. If I need a pickup or van I just rent one from there. Less than 40 bucks for 2 hours. 

Screenshot_20200127-095631_Home Depot.jpg

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, it’s a pretty good deal but unfortunately the Greenfield Home Depot only has two trucks and it’s first come first serve with no reservations.

My closest HD is a minimum of 45 minutes away

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Today is as good a day as any.

Seems like even in NNE it’s losing faith.  I fear we may lose Alex one of these days from the NNE thread too.  

I’m positioning myself in the snow pocket for as long as possible, tucked in under the Spine at 1,500ft to enjoy winter.  It’s getting increasingly hard to find these havens of winter refuge.  

I half expect Pickles to stumble out from under an evergreen fort he’s been living in.

C75DBBF9-1905-4573-B809-7A9228093208.jpeg.fe5aec1b7db4eca3de361979183006a6.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

In winters past, When i would be riding this area, The snow would be up to the bottom of the sign, Not this year so far, There was more snow up here this weekend then down home, But that's still not normal for the Eustis area........

Sign.jpg

same in jackman. Locals were complaining about how thin it is. I met the owner of spruce meadow cabins. He won Cains Quest before. Pretty cool. He's got a 155" that he hasn't taken out yet. We went to the top of Coburn and some kids were up there. One with a 174". Said he was gonna ride it 200mi the next day. I kinda laughed.Said he had a renegade too, but opted for the long track. whatever.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Same here.  Never owned a truck personally nor growing up a kid.

No need for one.

You drive like me.  I put 20-25kmi a year on my vehicle as does my wife.

We owned a small Nissan 2WD for a little while.  Fun to drive, long throw stick shift.  So awful in the snow though. 

45 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

same in jackman. Locals were complaining about how thin it is. I met the owner of spruce meadow cabins. He won Cains Quest before. Pretty cool. He's got a 155" that he hasn't taken out yet. We went to the top of Coburn and some kids were up there. One with a 174". Said he was gonna ride it 200mi the next day. I kinda laughed.Said he had a renegade too, but opted for the long track. whatever.

Yeah, I know Eric, Hes a good guy, His brother owns the Northland hotel and is a Met in Bermuda.

31 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We owned a small Nissan 2WD for a little while.  Fun to drive, long throw stick shift.  So awful in the snow though. 

My Ranger isn't great, but with nearly 200 lb of firewood in the back it's always made it over Mile Hill - average 6% grade over that mile with a couple hundred yards of 10% about 3/4 the way up, and a sharp corner at the bottom so trying to get a run for it risks a ditch visit.

Lowery day in Augusta, radar showed precip overhead (would be RA with surface at 40 unless heavy) but neither drop nor flake has appeared. 

In winters past, When i would be riding this area, The snow would be up to the bottom of the sign, Not this year so far, There was more snow up here this weekend then down home, But that's still not normal for the Eustis area........

Fair number of sleds on the club trail thru our woodlot yesterday - fewer than usual for a late Jan Sunday but more than I expected.  Must be some sloppy going at unbridged little dips as our pack isn't deep enough to soak up all the RA, at least not where slope concentrates runoff.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Seems like even in NNE it’s losing faith.  I fear we may lose Alex one of these days from the NNE thread too.  

I’m positioning myself in the snow pocket for as long as possible, tucked in under the Spine at 1,500ft to enjoy winter.  It’s getting increasingly hard to find these havens of winter refuge.  

I half expect Pickles to stumble out from under an evergreen fort he’s been living in.

C75DBBF9-1905-4573-B809-7A9228093208.jpeg.fe5aec1b7db4eca3de361979183006a6.jpeg

No way! Not all years are going to have snow totals that knock your socks off. This is my first winter in NNE, but I know from being in the NNE thread a lot in the past, other years have been better. there hasn't been anything yo write home about, yet, this year. The pattern seems locked in, so I guess we just enjoy what we have, and maybe next winter will be better.

• Like 1