Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Lol you're ridiculous. 

Lol if you think there is no money in the Global Warming industry.  If all of you who are so very concerned would do your own part in reducing carbon then maybe you can help stem the looming disaster.  Wonder how much carbon not taking a trip to the Caribbean saves. The hypocrisy is what bothers me. I  believe what I believe,  to belittle my beliefs is what alarmists do. They are not proactive.  It only takes one person at a time to help solve the problem. Good luck though with China and the rest of the developing world. We try to impose our solutions while reducing their way of life. What are you doing to reduce your carbon output? Lemmings gonna lem

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol if you think there is no money in the Global Warming industry.  If all of you who are so very concerned would do your own part in reducing carbon then maybe you can help stem the looming disaster.  Wonder how much carbon not taking a trip to the Caribbean saves. The hypocrisy is what bothers me. I  believe what I believe,  to belittle my beliefs is what alarmists do. They are not proactive.  It only takes one person at a time to help solve the problem. Good luck though with China and the rest of the developing world. We try to impose our solutions while reducing their way of life. What are you doing to reduce your carbon output? Lemmings gonna lem

You have no idea what each individual does to curb their footprint. You assume that people who care about it do nothing. What are you doing about the things that you've told us you care about more? You getting gangs off the street? 

Just now, ineedsnow said:

So when it's  record breaking cold it's  not to be talked about. But when its record breaking  heat it's  breaking news everywhere and global warming  is taking over. Got it!

Everyone here knew it was cold in ak. The typical public doesn't give a shit how warm or cold it is there. 

31 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That's bullshit.  I can go back and show you many posts in here about how it's only a small geographic area . The national media didn't say anything about the polar vortex last year. Look I get the Global warming deal, it's real but it's all heat all the time with an agenda driven media. If it doesn't fit it's a side story,  if it does its front page. 

Isn’t some of it the impact though?  A lot fewer people in AK and the upper Midwest than in the east coast megalopolis. It’s the same thing here somewhat. Lots fewer posters in NNE than SNE so notable events In NNE receive less “coverage” than ones in SNE.  Ray is a valuable and great poster but he personifies this. Anything in moose fart land just doesn’t pop up on his radar. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Scaring kids is what its come to. My grandaughter asked me if she was going to be dead in 12 years. Imagine that, you guys carry on. 

Meh...the media has done this for years. When I was growing up in the 1980s and early 1990s....everything was about the crime wave in the US. I started getting terrified for a while about robbers when was about 8. 

Shootings, kidnappings, home invasions, etc, etc. You would have thought you couldn’t walk to school without worrying about a murderer for a while. But we learned pretty quickly even as kids...the news media hypes. We still went outside and played ball. 

This is not that different. Climate change is a problem that needs a solution but the hype generally outweighs the true magnitude of the problem. I saw a news headline recently about what the state of the oceans would be by the 2050s. I clicked on the paper it was referencing and the news headline was based on an RCP 8.5 scenario from a CMIP5 climate model in the paper. I immediately laughed and closed the link. 

For those who aren’t as well-versed in the climate literature, an RCP 8.5 scenario is considered the worst case scenario. For example, it assumes we’re going to have 7 times the coal CO2 emissions as we do now despite the fact that coal emissions have peaked. In short, it’s a totally unrealistic scenario. 

My advice...never use the mainstream media for complex science in general. 

I also agree with Chris about the PV. I remember hearing it last year when that ridiculous January outbreak hit he Midwest. Of course, as usual, the media acted like the PV was something really weird and rare. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Meh...the media has done this for years. When I was growing up in the 1980s and early 1990s....everything was about the crime wave in the US. I started getting terrified for a while about robbers when was about 8. 

Shootings, kidnappings, home invasions, etc, etc. You would have thought you couldn’t walk to school without worrying about a murderer for a while. But we learned pretty quickly even as kids...the news media hypes. We still went outside and played ball. 

This is not that different. Climate change is a problem that needs a solution but the hype generally outweighs the true magnitude of the problem. I saw a news headline recently about what the state of the oceans would be by the 2050s. I clicked on the paper it was referencing and the news headline was based on an RCP 8.5 scenario from a CMIP5 climate model in the paper. I immediately laughed and closed the link. 

For those who aren’t as well-versed in the climate literature, an RCP 8.5 scenario is considered the worst case scenario. For example, it assumes we’re going to have 7 times the coal CO2 emissions as we do now despite the fact that coal emissions have peaked. In short, it’s a totally unrealistic scenario. 

I also agree with Chris about the PV. I remember hearing it last year when that ridiculous January outbreak hit he Midwest. Of course, as usual, the media acted like the PV was something really weird and rare. 

It actually was kinda more dangerous being a kid or a women back then up through the 80s. Serial killers kinda ran unchecked without DNA solving and kid disappearances weren't treated as a serious thing. And the murder rate was considerably higher. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Problem is they are teaching it in schools. Literally reading articles like you reference to kids. When your kids get in school follow what they are drilled.  Its scary

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

It actually was kinda more dangerous being a kid or a women back then up through the 80s. Serial killers kinda ran unchecked without DNA solving and kid disappearances weren't treated as a serious thing. And the murder rate was considerably higher. 

Oh I didn’t claim it wasn’t. The stats are plain as day. That’s why it’s called the crime wave of the 80s and early 90s. 

Its just the media hyped it. Scared the shit out of kids. Lol. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Don’t forget your brain on drugs lol. Smoke a joint and your brain is sunny side up on a frying pan. 

LOL I forgot about those commercials. 

“This is your brain....”

”This is your brain on drugs....any questions?”

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

This is the perfect straw man argument Steve. People will make money off making solar panels and wind turbines? Then we can't transition to those energy sources. Fossil fuels companies make more money than they know what to do with, yet the same complaints about money in that industry don't apply.

You flight shaming me for taking a vacation is another good one. Individuals taking vacations are not contributing to carbon emissions. The New Yorker that travels every week for work to SFO does. Shaming people into taking small individual actions is a great way for the largest emitting industries to shirk responsibility. Domestically we're talking about 10% of transportation emissions from flying. Non trivial, but whistling past the graveyard when it comes to car/truck travel (especially when the current administration is trying to reduce regulation on car emissions/fuel efficiency - which by the way will not save anyone any money in the long run except for car companies). Do plastic straws contribute to pollution of our waterways? You betcha. My wife and I use metal straws to do our part, but we don't shame anyone if they choose not to. Because in the end straws are a fraction of the plastic pollution out there, but it is a convenient smokescreen to mask the larger contributors. 

And good luck with China? Yeah, good luck if we aren't the shining city on a hill to point towards when it comes to clean energy policy. 

Alaska being cold one winter out of a decade is not really a newsy story. Nor are the Dakotas being cold in winter. The magnitude is, and it has been covered, as I pointed out. Dismissing coverage of warmth as agenda is disingenuous at best. This is a topic I care a lot about. I do my research and stay up to date on it, I make my individual actions, and I vote primarily based on who has the best policy ideas to tackle the problem. I'm really not sure what moral high ground you are claiming to call others who believe/care about this lemmings.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Problem is they are teaching it in schools. Literally reading articles like you reference to kids. When your kids get in school follow what they are drilled.  Its scary

Teaching climate change is schools? What a novel idea.

RCP8.5 is a business as usual emission curve that is unlikely to totally apply to the future, but the fact of the matter is that until I see any concerted effort to curb emissions (which have gone up in the last two years in the US) I don't see why it's any less ridiculous to rely on emissions scenarios that show mitigation applied. And somewhere between those two scenarios is still pretty bad.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is the perfect straw man argument Steve. People will make money off making solar panels and wind turbines? Then we can't transition to those energy sources. Fossil fuels companies make more money than they know what to do with, yet the same complaints about money in that industry don't apply.

You flight shaming me for taking a vacation is another good one. Individuals taking vacations are not contributing to carbon emissions. The New Yorker that travels every week for work to SFO does. Shaming people into taking small individual actions is a great way for the largest emitting industries to shirk responsibility. Domestically we're talking about 10% of transportation emissions from flying. Non trivial, but whistling past the graveyard when it comes to car/truck travel (especially when the current administration is trying to reduce regulation on car emissions/fuel efficiency - which by the way will not save anyone any money in the long run except for car companies). Do plastic straws contribute to pollution of our waterways? You betcha. My wife and I use metal straws to do our part, but we don't shame anyone if they choose not to. Because in the end straws are a fraction of the plastic pollution out there, but it is a convenient smokescreen to mask the larger contributors. 

And good luck with China? Yeah, good luck if we aren't the shining city on a hill to point towards when it comes to clean energy policy. 

Alaska being cold one winter out of a decade is not really a newsy story. Nor are the Dakotas being cold in winter. The magnitude is, and it has been covered, as I pointed out. Dismissing coverage of warmth as agenda is disingenuous at best. This is a topic I care a lot about. I do my research and stay up to date on it, I make my individual actions, and I vote primarily based on who has the best policy ideas to tackle the problem. I'm really not sure what moral high ground you are claiming to call others who believe/care about this lemmings.

I work from home 3-4 days a week...eat that car emissions.

I ain’t gonna feel one damned ounce of guilt if I fly for a vacation any time soon. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

RCP8.5 is a business as usual emission curve that is unlikely to totally apply to the future, but the fact of the matter is that until I see any concerted effort to curb emissions (which have gone up in the last two years in the US) I don't see why it's any less ridiculous to rely on emissions scenarios that show mitigation applied. And somewhere between those two scenarios is still pretty bad.

Teaching alarmist articles is a novel idea that scares kids. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

The 8.5 and the 2.6 are extreme goalposts scenarios so they are pretty useful in a statistical sense.

But nobody should ever lead a headline with them when discussing new published literature IMHO. That’s kind of like leading a headline before a run-of-the-mill big snowstorm (say 8-14 inches) and claiming “this storm could drop 30 inches!!” because one ensemble member showed it...pure clickbait hype headline and probably will scare the shit out of a bunch of people unnecessarily. 

And from an advocacy standpoint, that kind of hype probably does more long-term damage to the credibility of the science and mitigation efforts than saying nothing at all. It’s kind of why I wish that there was a better medium to educate the public on the scientific literature rather than using mainstream media who themselves tend to be pretty ignorant of the literature...but there really isn’t unfortunately.