Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

8 hours ago, tamarack said:

Lac Saint-Jean is huge - perhaps 10X Winni, and has several significant inlets.  Makes me wonder if, like last week's Moosehead fatal snomo-splash, they got too close to where a river entered.  Night rides on/near lakes is always a dodgey practice; several years ago there were 4 killed - party of 3 men and separately, a mother and son and only the son made it out of the water.  Happened on Rangeley Lake when they got off trail and rode into open water on a snowy night.

One of those men that died was a brother to a mother my wife had in daycare, Most incidents happen at night and at inlets or outlets as the one on the Moose river just up from Rockwood last weekend.

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

AQAs are pretty common in the valleys this time of year.

Are tons of people still running those outdoor wood boilers up there. I saw one down here yesterday and the thing was choking out the entire valley it was in. The amount of low lingering smoke that thing made was unreal. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Could be an office thing. GYX has put out a few this winter. I can’t speak for BOX. 

It's a state thing. Typically an environmental or health agency determines unsafe air quality and requests that we highlight the product. 

This definitely isn't our first winter AQA this season. For trapped wood smoke as you've said.

Summer is typically build up of ozone (from sun breaking down car exhaust) or onshore flow sending pollution from the big cities back towards the coast.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Are tons of people still running those outdoor wood boilers up there. I saw one down here yesterday and the thing was choking out the entire valley it was in. The amount of low lingering smoke that thing made was unreal. 

We have someone down the street from us that has one as well.  Kinda gross seeing the plumes of smoke coming from it.  Don’t recall seeing any AQA for this area this time of year.  

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Yes and some folks couldn't care less about the quality of wood they burn in them or if its green. 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yes and some folks couldn't care less about the quality of wood they burn in them or if its green. 

I have a newer style wood insert with the air tubes on top and its crazy how clean it burns. Its like a blowtorch on top that even burns most of he smoke. Your wood lasts so much longer as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Today is the 30th anniversary of the crash of Avianca flight 052. The plane crashed in Cove Neck, L.I on January 25th 1990 after running out of fuel trying to land in dense fog. December of 1989 was very cold, but January was warm. I was at the plane crash.

Avianca 052.jpg

I just researched that. They are one of our customers too. WTF....that was a bizarre incident. They were running out of fuel and were no big deal about it. I heard the ATC recording.  

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I just researched that. They are one of our customers too. WTF....that was a bizarre incident. They were running out of fuel and were no big deal about it. I heard the ATC recording.  

Yeah I’ve seen the air crash investigation show on that crash. Definitely some fault with ATC too but the crew never officially declared an emergency to ATC and they get more of the blame. Some of it was probably language too...standard language is English in aviation community for decades though in 1990 it was probably less widespread than now even though you had to know it. The crew kept asking for “priority” without saying the word “emergency”. The captain didn’t know English very well and the first officer did all of the communication.

Also, the flight engineer should have told the captain and FO on the first landing attempt that this was it....they had to get it down then...there wasn’t enough fuel left to do a go-around but he never said anything. Tragic accident that didn’t have to happen. 

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I’ve seen the air crash investigation show on that crash. Definitely some fault with ATC too but the crew never officially declared an emergency to ATC and they get more of the blame. Some of it was probably language too...standard language is English in aviation community for decades though in 1990 it was probably less widespread than now even though you had to know it. The crew kept asking for “priority” without saying the word “emergency”. The captain didn’t know English very well and the first officer did all of the communication.

Also, the flight engineer should have told the captain and FO on the first landing attempt that this was it....they had to get it down then...there wasn’t enough fuel left to do a go-around but he never said anything. Tragic accident that didn’t have to happen. 

I think there was definitely a language barrier, but I guess I’m surprised there wasn’t more intensity in their voices on that recording. They knew they couldn’t make it to JFK second time around.  The GOVT had to settle with the families of passengers along with the airline. The blame was all around. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

ACATT

There was plenty of talk of the cold in the Upper Midwest last year. It was breathless media coverage of the wind chills and polar vortex. Selective memory FTL.

That's bullshit.  I can go back and show you many posts in here about how it's only a small geographic area . The national media didn't say anything about the polar vortex last year. Look I get the Global warming deal, it's real but it's all heat all the time with an agenda driven media. If it doesn't fit it's a side story,  if it does its front page. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Record cold like last year in the upper midwest.  No agenda , yea ok

But really?  Let’s say CC proponents are incorrect and this is a natural cycle of warming. What’s the harm?  Quicker transition to alternative forms of energy. Less reliance on fossil fuels/Middle East?

Now let’s say CC deniers are incorrect.  What’s the harm?  Rising carbon emissions, accelerated climate change, rising sea levels, reliance on fossil fuels/Middle East. 

Seems like a no brainer, but I digress. 

On topic, when southern AK is -50F, we aren’t winter like in the East. Hope the ensembles are correct in breaking down the current pattern. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That's bullshit.  I can go back and show you many posts in here about how it's only a small geographic area . The national media didn't say anything about the polar vortex last year. Look I get the Global warming deal, it's real but it's all heat all the time with an agenda driven media. If it doesn't fit it's a side story,  if it does its front page. 

Go read Joe b chris Martz and ryan m if you want to hear about every patch of cold on the earth's surface. 

I mean ****. Congress takes a ton of money from oil and anti agw business interests and they gut the epa and science funding and I never hear a peep from you about any of it. 

It's always about the big bad media.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Right.

2020-01-26_10-23-38_zpsojeftsz8.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

When it’s cold out east there’s a lot of hype over it...”polar vortex”, etc. I think there’s just a lot less hype in general with AK and the upper plains when it comes to the national media.

Last 365 days records. We were bombarded with the 4 to 1 warm records to cold for years, yet how much attention to this. I am totally aware the globe is warming but if you cant see how manipulative things are then I am sorry to disagree 

Screenshot_20200126-102300_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200126-102249_Chrome.jpg

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Last 365 days records. We were bombarded with the 4 to 1 warm records to cold for years, yet how much attention to this. I am totally aware the globe is warming but if you cant see how manipulative things are then I am sorry to disagree 

Screenshot_20200126-102300_Chrome.jpg

Thank god it's been a bit closer average in the us as of late. Now what about the other 200 or so countries?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Go read Joe b chris Martz and ryan m if you want to hear about every patch of cold on the earth's surface. 

I mean ****. Congress takes a ton of money from oil and anti agw business interests and they gut the epa and science funding and I never hear a peep from you about any of it. 

It's always about the big bad media.

Sorry to disagree about the media's agenda. Its real.  I could care less about some kids opinions.  I form my own. Global warming is real. Its climate