Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s funny how perceptions are because I did not look at the thermometer this morning before I went out with the dog and I was thinking to myself it was 10 or 15° out. 

This cold stretch is good though because the pond ice was not trustable.

Yeah, I knew it was 0F when I left the house this morning, but with no wind it wasn't bad at all.  Wind will do it every  time.

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s funny how perceptions are because I did not look at the thermometer this morning before I went out with the dog and I was thinking to myself it was 10 or 15° out. 

Doesn't appear as though people will be able to pond skate around these parts this year.

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Doesn't seem like we've had much snow this season yet PWM (by 14") and CAR are above avg. BGR running avg.

My average for snowfall thru Jan 21 is 39.57", so this season couldn't be any closer to average so far.  We'll be about 2" BN when/if the weekend storm arrives.  It was about -10 at 5 this morning but warmed a few degrees until the lights went out at 6:20 - police were headed north on Starks Road (Rt 134) so I wonder if someone hit a pole up there.

Sledder went thru the ice on Moosehead over the weekend - rode too close to the mouth of the Moose River.   He was pulled out fairly soon but not soon enough - pronounced dead at Greenville Hospital.  I think it's the season's 1st snowsled-in-water fatal this season.

28 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

1978.   My street was cleared by the National Guard.  Heavy equipment, mega sized front end loaders because the town equipment couldn’t do it. 

Yeah, I remember hearing stories like that.  Not around here, but certainly in eastern areas.  If that happened today I'm sure it would be covered very differently.

A little trigger happy in Worcester.  lol

With snow in the forecast for Saturday afternoon into Sunday, a parking ban will go into effect in Worcester at 2 p.m. Saturday.

According to the National Weather Service, the first flakes will be seen in Worcester about 4 p.m. Saturday, with the city geting from 4-6 inches by the time the storm ends overnight. The Fitchburg area could see 6-8 inches.

Parking in municipal garages is free during the ban.

• Like 1

Just venting, I look forward to winter outlooks every year, I work outside for a living and come Labor Day so done with high humidity etc. Days are getting longer, I just think if nothing major by my birthday (Feb. 11) I'm throwing the towel in........they just delivered  a new wing plow for our small wheel loader yesterday, $22K later (need deductions) oh well, maybe next year 

9 minutes ago, 512high said:

Just venting, I look forward to winter outlooks every year, I work outside for a living and come Labor Day so done with high humidity etc. Days are getting longer, I just think if nothing major by my birthday (Feb. 11) I'm throwing the towel in........they just delivered  a new wing plow for our small wheel loader yesterday, $22K later (need deductions) oh well, maybe next year 

If I remember correctly you do snow removal. Do snow removal companies take a massive hit as there has been very little snow? Down here in CT there are front end loaders parked all over in parking lots that have not moved all winter.

On a good note it looks like natural gas and heating oil have been plummeting in price. 

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

If I remember correctly you do snow removal. Do snow removal companies take a massive hit as there has been very little snow? Down here in CT there are front end loaders parked all over in parking lots that have not moved all winter.

On a good note it looks like natural gas and heating oil have been plummeting in price. 

Brian, my accounts are contracts, I get paid wether it snows or not, however, I keep one employee on payroll, lol running out of shop stuff to do. 

10 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

1978.   My street was cleared by the National Guard.  Heavy equipment, mega sized front end loaders because the town equipment couldn’t do it. 

I've read that following the BGR-region's blizzard on NYE of 1962, dynamite was needed to loosen windpack where a highway passed thru a cut with ledge on both sides - ordinary equipment couldn't hack it.  In BGR itself there were drifts over 16' tall, enough to get a large bulldozer stuck.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Man that depth too. 

That was 2 days after the JFK inaugural storm, which dumped 1-2+ feet in the NYC metro and nearby.  2 subfreezing weeks after that storm a bigger windier event brought even more.  Depths in NNJ were up to 52", nearly a foot more than any other NJ records I've found.  (And it compares well with all but one of my Maine winters - 47 years ago today we and all our possessions were in a U-Haul heading from NNJ to BGR so I could start spring semester at U.Maine forestry school.)
Another personal note:  I went ice fishing that cold (-12 at our place in NNJ) and windy Saturday, handled a small but slimy pickerel while unhooking and releasing it.  Had to wash off the slime in the lake water after which I ran for the fire on shore - in that 100-yard dash the water on my fingers had mostly turned to ice.  (With age I've learned to stay off the ice in wx like that.)

• Like 2

Ice isn't safe even in Quebec... 1 dead and 5 missing when snowmobiles fell through the ice.  8 tourists went into the water, 3 are being treated for shock.

A tour guide is dead and five others are still missing after their group’s snowmobiles fell through the ice along Quebec’s Lac Saint-Jean Tuesday night, reports CBC.

Quebec provincial police launched a search Wednesday but had to call off the search as nighttime fell. Two of the snowmobiles were located, but not yet recovered. Divers will begin their search again at first light today.

In what almost became an even bigger tragedy, a provincial police pilot involved in the search was injured when his helicopter crashed into the water. His injuries were not life-threatening and no one else was aboard.

The deceased snowmobiler has been identified as Benoît Lespérance, 42 from Montreal, who was guiding the group of eight French tourists. He died several hours after being admitted to the hospital.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ice isn't safe even in Quebec... 1 dead and 5 missing when snowmobiles fell through the ice.  8 tourists went into the water, 3 are being treated for shock.

A tour guide is dead and five others are still missing after their group’s snowmobiles fell through the ice along Quebec’s Lac Saint-Jean Tuesday night, reports CBC.

Quebec provincial police launched a search Wednesday but had to call off the search as nighttime fell. Two of the snowmobiles were located, but not yet recovered. Divers will begin their search again at first light today.

In what almost became an even bigger tragedy, a provincial police pilot involved in the search was injured when his helicopter crashed into the water. His injuries were not life-threatening and no one else was aboard.

The deceased snowmobiler has been identified as Benoît Lespérance, 42 from Montreal, who was guiding the group of eight French tourists. He died several hours after being admitted to the hospital.

Lac Saint-Jean is huge - perhaps 10X Winni, and has several significant inlets.  Makes me wonder if, like last week's Moosehead fatal snomo-splash, they got too close to where a river entered.  Night rides on/near lakes is always a dodgey practice; several years ago there were 4 killed - party of 3 men and separately, a mother and son and only the son made it out of the water.  Happened on Rangeley Lake when they got off trail and rode into open water on a snowy night.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Lac Saint-Jean is huge - perhaps 10X Winni, and has several significant inlets.  Makes me wonder if, like last week's Moosehead fatal snomo-splash, they got too close to where a river entered.  Night rides on/near lakes is always a dodgey practice; several years ago there were 4 killed - party of 3 men and separately, a mother and son and only the son made it out of the water.  Happened on Rangeley Lake when they got off trail and rode into open water on a snowy night.

I have a friend who rides that area and he said basically the same thing, that it sounds like they got outsides the staked trail and too close to an inlet area.  I hate riding on ice and avoid it if at all possible.  It;s been more than 10 years since this happened and since that time most ice crossings in the state have been done away with.

https://www.suncommunitynews.com/articles/the-sun/three-die-in-snowmobile-accident-on-frozen-lake/

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/lake-dunmore-tragedy/