Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It won't. They already went there with testing equipment and could not find a significant error. But clearly the evidence points to something being off. 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty sure NWS BOX has already checked the ASOS equipment multiple times but found it ok....but I've yet to hear anything about investigating the siting variables. It's obviously running warm by about 2-3F since mid/late 2018.

It's definitely becoming a problem WRT local records though. There's already an incorrect monthly record too...last July was the "warmest July on record" at BOS, but everyone knows it's total bunk. None of the other climo sites were even close.

I was just hopeful that before we start putting all time records in the books that there would be some kind of analysis to make sure it reflected reality.

Do the guys checking the sensor also look at the siting for issues like you mentioned? 

My guess is that this is never going to be fixed.  It's probably going to go the way of BDL in the early 90s.  BDL used to radiate then better than it does now and I remember having discussions over a change that occurred and it's been that way for 25+ years.

47 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I was just hopeful that before we start putting all time records in the books that there would be some kind of analysis to make sure it reflected reality.

Do the guys checking the sensor also look at the siting for issues like you mentioned? 

My guess is that this is never going to be fixed.  It's probably going to go the way of BDL in the early 90s.  BDL used to radiate then better than it does now and I remember having discussions over a change that occurred and it's been that way for 25+ years.

It definitely won't be stopped by NCDC (or NCEI it's called now)...being off 2-3F won't cause them to toss it because they probably aren't looking that much on a granular level. What makes it harder too is that KOWD is off it's rocker more recently too which isn't that far from KBOS, so it is artificially "validating" it in a sense.

Hopefully NWS BOX figures it out, because they probably the only ones who will do anything about it. It won't be done at the NCDC level. I mean, Christ....we couldn't even get NCDC to change garbage snow data for ORH. Good luck on getting them to change BOS temp data that is off a couple degees. :lol:

I am like 95% certain I'll be going out to OK at the end of May for two weeks!!!!

With the gas mileage I get I figured probably $90 each way for gas (maybe another $60 to $90 for chasing...although probably not nearly that much...just going to stay within a certain radius of where we go). 

Tolls I guess are MUCH less than I anticipated. 

Was looking up motels and they are dirt cheap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

A siting issue would be something smaller scale right near the ASOS....like they placed a bunch of crushed rocks around the site instead of grass (this happened at KCON but GYX discovered it and changed it)...or some recent construction/disturbance near the site...in that latter case, you might shift the ASOS station to another part of the airfield.

This discussion reminded me of a photo I found of the old BTV air field... no wonder the climate there was so much colder 50-100 years ago lol.  There’s nothing around it.  Now it’s completely build out urban/suburban sprawl. 

BBEE91B2-0ED2-47C8-97DA-3A3DE2552A9C.jpeg.933e64f77fc87aad3353da9ce1f92ef2.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

This discussion reminded me of a photo I found of the old BTV air field... no wonder the climate there was so much colder 50-100 years ago lol.  There’s nothing around it.  Now it’s completely build out urban/suburban sprawl. 

BBEE91B2-0ED2-47C8-97DA-3A3DE2552A9C.jpeg.933e64f77fc87aad3353da9ce1f92ef2.jpeg

Yeah....a lot of airports got built up....same thing happened to IAD (Dulles)....they cannot radiate nearly as well as they used to due to the urban growth around the airport.

There's nothing you can do when that happens. But typically the changes happen gradually over time so it's not like this sudden step-change where one month it is fine, and then the next month it isn't. This could have happened to BTV in the 2000s...and 2010s...seems they had a couple periods where they drifted on MADIS and perhaps it was new growth causing that.

In the case of BOS, it's already built up around the airport (and the rest is surrounded by water), so their issue must have happened on a smaller scale if it is indeed a siting issue.

• Like 1

And the rocks were the solution at CON...not the problem. They originally had dark mulch down around the ASOS. The compromise was white rocks. They’re so worried about a couple tenths warming per decade, but no one wants to grow grass and maintain it at a proper height. lol

38 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yup slick out here with the snow and fzdz.

Looks like we may have a repeat on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning... light QPF progged and still very little saturation in the snow growth zone. 

Today we got a whitening of what I can only describe as the snow equivalent of drizzle.  It was the smallest needle flakes you'll ever see, just like a snow mist. 

A few years ago my brother's kids were at the Nordic JOs in Truckee and we went out to yell encouragement.  It was like 70 degrees out.  I was standing talking to my nephew fretting about whether the snow would survive.  He laughed.  He said see how we step off this deck down about six inches on to the snow?  This deck is about 12 feet off the ground.  He said the biggest problem was figuring out what wax to use at those temperatures plus how not to fall over from heat exhaustion while racing...