KBOS smashed it's previous record of 62F by 6 degrees, currently sitting at 68F

KORH smashed it's previous record of 58F by 4 degrees, currently sitting at 62F

KPVD smashed it's previous record of 61F by 3 degrees, currently sitting at 64F

violently broken

7 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Flag is 25 feet away and woods 50 feet during 6 per hour in Jan 15 blizzard 

0127150752a.jpg

0127150749a.jpg

The woods pic reminds me of when we drove thru LES on I-80 in western PA early in 2012.  That was the view of the thick stand of trees on the median, though I didn't dare more than a quick peek.  We could see the 4-ways on the car ahead of us but sometimes not the flashers on the next one in line.  I guessed 6"-per in that one but obviously couldn't verify.

I had to drive to Cleveland for work a couple of Januarys ago and in Pa. was pretty sure I was going to die.  No visibility with trucks blowing snow if you passed you might suddenly have taillights 15 feet in front of you if you stayed behind all of a sudden you had headlights 15 feet behind you.  I think in places they got 18 inches that night.  The one big laugh was the rest area I passed where they couldn't fit one single more vehicle in there, it was solid cars and trucks packed in tight.  It was going to take hours to unwind that.

• Like 1

What an abrupt shift in temps that was on the coast in Hampton. Dropped 10 degrees in one hour from 69 to 59.

I just made the move up here and though I'm sure I'll miss out on some snow from my last location in Methuen, overall the weenie in me will enjoy the weather here more being right on the water. Bring on the Nor'easters the next few weeks. I want to see what real high wind warning criteria actually looks like for once. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

With BOS setting a record monthly temp yesterday, does anyone know if that will finally get someone to look at the readings there?

It won't. They already went there with testing equipment and could not find a significant error. But clearly the evidence points to something being off. 

17 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

With BOS setting a record monthly temp yesterday, does anyone know if that will finally get someone to look at the readings there?

Pretty sure NWS BOX has already checked the ASOS equipment multiple times but found it ok....but I've yet to hear anything about investigating the siting variables. It's obviously running warm by about 2-3F since mid/late 2018.

It's definitely becoming a problem WRT local records though. There's already an incorrect monthly record too...last July was the "warmest July on record" at BOS, but everyone knows it's total bunk. None of the other climo sites were even close.

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty sure NWS BOX has already checked the ASOS equipment multiple times but found it ok....but I've yet to hear anything about investigating the siting variables. It's obviously running warm by about 2-3F since mid/late 2018.

It's definitely becoming a problem WRT local records though. There's already an incorrect monthly record too...last July was the "warmest July on record" at BOS, but everyone knows it's total bunk. None of the other climo sites were even close.

OK, so if it;s a siting issue, how to you resolve that? It's not like relocating is easy or there is any guarantee the new location would change anything..

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

OK, so if it;s a siting issue, how to you resolve that? It's not like relocating is easy or there is any guarantee the new location would change anything..

A siting issue would be something smaller scale right near the ASOS....like they placed a bunch of crushed rocks around the site instead of grass (this happened at KCON but GYX discovered it and changed it)...or some recent construction/disturbance near the site...in that latter case, you might shift the ASOS station to another part of the airfield.

But obviously they have to find the issue first....it's clearly not representative of east Boston or Winthrop. We can't blame the usual "oh it's out in Boston harbor"....we're already accounting for that when we are talking errors. It has a steep divergence from all the east Boston and Winthrop mesonet sites in mid/late 2018 including multiple sites literally next to the airport at Jeffries Point....and of course, Winthrop is east of the airport even more out in the harbor.

49 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wonder if there's some sort of "agenda" for not fixing it and keeping it artificially warm.  I know it sounds deep-state conspiracy stuff @Ginx snewx but I wouldn't put it pass this state to pull off some funny business. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A siting issue would be something smaller scale right near the ASOS....like they placed a bunch of crushed rocks around the site instead of grass (this happened at KCON but GYX discovered it and changed it)...or some recent construction/disturbance near the site...in that latter case, you might shift the ASOS station to another part of the airfield.

But obviously they have to find the issue first....it's clearly not representative of east Boston or Winthrop. We can't blame the usual "oh it's out in Boston harbor"....we're already accounting for that when we are talking errors. It has a steep divergence from all the east Boston and Winthrop mesonet sites in mid/late 2018 including multiple sites literally next to the airport at Jeffries Point....and of course, Winthrop is east of the airport even more out in the harbor.

I'm leaning towards jet exhaust

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I wonder if there's some sort of "agenda" for not fixing it and keeping it artificially warm.  I know it sounds deep-state conspiracy stuff @Ginx snewx but I wouldn't put it pass this state to pull off some funny business. 

No, that is highly unlikely given that there's too many people who have oversight of something like that. Plus the data is pretty transparent...we can all see it and how much it is off by. I think the most likely answer is a siting issue....though we can't totally rule out that maybe their testing equipment gave them a false positive for the ASOS sensor being ok...but I'd put those odds extremely low too.

In the past, these errors have typically been corrected pretty quickly (KCON up at GYX a couple years back...and KORH actually had an issue several years before that which was fixed pretty fast....and I recall KAFN maybe circa 2009 or 2010).