Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

13 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

I was just thinking yesterday how moderate the temps have been this winter compared to the past few. There doesn’t seem to be many anomalous swings either way (cold or warm) when I feel like we had some big cold shots and then huge warm ups in recent years. It’s still early though. 

Very modest "extremes" in temp the past 2 months.  My mildest since Nov. 5 is 46, and except for the brief -9 on 12/21 my coldest has been -2.  Since my current average minimum is 6° and 2 weeks from now will be 2°, temps have been AN and meh, especially since early December.

Another little snow event yesterday, quite different from the day before.  That earlier one was RA to SN, an inch of 10:1 that frosted the twigs.  Yesterday it was 1.1" from 0.04" LE in dry flakes and evening feathers.  Maybe 3 +/- one-inch events in 4 days with tomorrow's entry? 

The analog to the Tolland Triangle on I-84 has struck again on I-95 between Newport and BGR.  About 30 vehicles in a chain reaction accident this AM, evidently due to blinding sun, with the northbound lane totally closed (may have reopened by now) and hundreds of vehicles stuck behind the mess.  It's 5-10 miles north of where nearly 100 cars and trucks wrecked when hit by a sudden snowburst from an otherwise weak storm 4 years ago.  At least one serious injury in today's mess, life flighted to a BGR hospital, and several lesser injuries.

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

All the ones in CT maybe?

Not a single one, guaranteed. The ski area's around here survive on snowmaking, so deep snow is made whenever possible. Man-made snow can also be made dense and water/warmth resistant.

I'll be at Sundown on Thursday for the first time this season. Usually they cover all runs with very deep snow. The only place in Connecticut that might not do so well is Powder Ridge, it's very far South and not strong on Snowmaking.

So Karen and I schedule a weekend in Lake Placid... hoping for a little wintry appeal.  Karen's thinking fondly of strolling in 'snow globe flakes'.  Ha ha ha.  50 degrees and rain... I picked a bad month to quit drinking.  Not to mention it'll be shorts and jersey weather for outdoor riding back here in Schenectady.  Eesh.  If I leave town we get a foot and a half.  If I go where it usually is winter, we get early May.   On the bright side, my niece and her husband in Underhill started tapping their maples.  They do have like 40,000 taps or something ridiculous so it isn't as nuts as it sounds.

19 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

So Karen and I schedule a weekend in Lake Placid... hoping for a little wintry appeal.  Karen's thinking fondly of strolling in 'snow globe flakes'.  Ha ha ha.  50 degrees and rain... I picked a bad month to quit drinking.  Not to mention it'll be shorts and jersey weather for outdoor riding back here in Schenectady.  Eesh.  If I leave town we get a foot and a half.  If I go where it usually is winter, we get early May.   On the bright side, my niece and her husband in Underhill started tapping their maples.  They do have like 40,000 taps or something ridiculous so it isn't as nuts as it sounds.

That’s OK, I had the kid signed up for ski lessons every Saturday in January That included a sweet  lift ticket deal for me and the wife.  This will be the second week in a row that gets canceled. They will keep pushing it back to a point but three in a row canceled and they will give refunds so the town loses money Berkshire East loses money and I lose out on cheap skiing at a local area.

23 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

That’s OK, I had the kid signed up for ski lessons every Saturday in January That included a sweet  lift ticket deal for me and the wife.  This will be the second week in a row that gets canceled. They will keep pushing it back to a point but three in a row canceled and they will give refunds so the town loses money Berkshire East loses money and I lose out on cheap skiing at a local area.

I am also help organizing the Cub Scouts Yukon days for January 25, I’m hoping we have snow by then if not I need to start planning a very different activity schedule.

I'm ramping up the bitch machine slowly as my patience is starting to wear thin. So we basically wipe most of the pack this wknd, then return to avg/above ave temps next week without any storm threats. So that's two straight wknds without getting on my sled. Skiing will be shot for this wknd. too. By the time we get the pack back and things are rideable again, it'll be almost Feb. Every year we lose at least 1 month between Dec-Mar with shit weather. Seems like this season we'll be pushing it beyond that. I'm sticking to mhy prediction this winter is a ratter. Check out my sig. Every 4 years we get a ratter.  I know there's hardly any data to make that conclusion, so I'll rely on my gut and say we finish this season with <75".

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

I'm ramping up the bitch machine slowly as my patience is starting to wear thin. So we basically wipe most of the pack this wknd, then return to avg/above ave temps next week without any storm threats. So that's two straight wknds without getting on my sled. Skiing will be shot for this wknd. too. By the time we get the pack back and things are rideable again, it'll be almost Feb. Every year we lose at least 1 month between Dec-Mar with shit weather. Seems like this season we'll be pushing it beyond that. I'm sticking to mhy prediction this winter is a ratter. Check out my sig. Every 4 years we get a ratter.  I know there's hardly any data to make that conclusion, so I'll rely on my gut and say we finish this season with <75".

Maybe a bit more frequent for me.  For my area where winter is pretty consistent with regular snowfall, I'm defining "ratter" as <75% average snow and significantly AN temps for DJFM.  That omits 02-03, which met the snow criterion but was very cold.  Winters meeting those criteria are 99-00, 01-02, 05-06, 09-10, 11-12, 15-16, so 6 of 21.  Worst were 05-06 and 15-16 (10-year repeat?) 09-10 had 15-20" more snow than those 2, but is in the race to the bottom due to the frustration factor - 4 EC KUs that winter, and we got 3 whiffs and #4 was the most unpleasant double-digit snowstorm I ever hope to see,

Edit:  I think 75" would be close to long-term climo for your site, about 20% higher than PWM.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:
Maybe a bit more frequent for me.  For my area where winter is pretty consistent with regular snowfall, I'm defining "ratter" as Edit:  I think 75" would be close to long-term climo for your site, about 20% higher than PWM.

75" is approx climo. I should have been more clear when I said <75". I'll predict we get ~60". And while that is still just a bit under climo, it pales in comparison to the good years we've had. We've been spoiled overall.