• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

I saw an interesting phenomenon driving home from work earlier.  On my way home I drive through some large open area and as I was making my way across the open fields I encountered an area of dense fog and the temperature dropped as low as 17.  As I left the open area the temp rose back up to between 23 and 24.  I've seen that happen in the morning but I thought it was pretty cool to see that less than an hour of sunset and have the temp drop so much lower than surrounding areas so quickly without a front nearby.

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I saw an interesting phenomenon driving home from work earlier.  On my way home I drive through some large open area and as I was making my way across the open fields I encountered an area of dense fog and the temperature dropped as low as 17.  As I left the open area the temp rose back up to between 23 and 24.  I've seen that happen in the morning but I thought it was pretty cool to see that less than an hour of sunset and have the temp drop so much lower than surrounding areas so quickly without a front nearby.

Maple Hollow?

20 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Crazy dense fog here as well.  Was driving back from Rochester and temp was 26-27F.  Thick zero visibility.  Was around fields as well here.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Maple Hollow?

lol...no.  Just a big open field in Somers:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9998001,-72.4687698,1206m/data=!3m1!1e3

I just wonder what made the temperature drop so quickly to the saturation point?  I drive through there in the morning and occasionally I'll see fog but rarely in the evening like that.  Plus the temperature usually is only 2-3° different not 6°.

Just now, MetHerb said:

lol...no.  Just a big open field in Somers:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9998001,-72.4687698,1206m/data=!3m1!1e3

I just wonder what made the temperature drop so quickly to the saturation point?  I drive through there in the morning and occasionally I'll see fog but rarely in the evening like that.  Plus the temperature usually is only 2-3° different not 6°.

Just one of those weenie sheltered valley things. There may be a little mixing above that point keeping the temp up around there too. But a lot of times these rad pits drops fast early, fog out, and then the surrounding areas catch up somewhat by sunrise as the fog thickens while the hills keep radiating. 

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Just one of those weenie sheltered valley things. There may be a little mixing above that point keeping the temp up around there too. But a lot of times these rad pits drops fast early, fog out, and then the surrounding areas catch up somewhat by sunrise as the fog thickens while the hills keep radiating. 

Something lined up tonight because it's usually not like that.  It'll be interesting going through there tomorrow morning.

13 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Something lined up tonight because it's usually not like that.  It'll be interesting going through there tomorrow morning.

I drove through that are that was dense fog early last evening and this morning it was perfectly clear so whatever was going on clearly mixed out.  The temp was pretty much in line with the whole area and there was no fog.

40 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I drove through that are that was dense fog early last evening and this morning it was perfectly clear so whatever was going on clearly mixed out.  The temp was pretty much in line with the whole area and there was no fog.

Funny you mention this, Last night here around 10 pm, I was down to 17°F when everyone around me was in the 22-24°F range, I do sit in a hollow but i found that kind of odd to have a -7°F difference, This morning we had mixed out and was back inline temp wise of the surroundings as usual.

20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Funny you mention this, Last night here around 10 pm, I was down to 17°F when everyone around me was in the 22-24°F range, I do sit in a hollow but i found that kind of odd to have a -7°F difference, This morning we had mixed out and was back inline temp wise of the surroundings as usual.

yeah, it was something I normally see around a frontal passage.  I was just driving along and bam, dense fog and the temp dropped from 23-24 to 17.  Once I was out of the fog it went back up.  It's not normally like that either.  Gotta live micro climates.

Just now, MetHerb said:

yeah, it was something I normally see around a frontal passage.  I was just driving along and bam, dense fog and the temp dropped from 23-24 to 17.  Once I was out of the fog it went back up.  It's not normally like that either.  Gotta live micro climates.

In my instance it was out ahead of that vigorous squall line that had gone thru VT/NH before it fell apart coming out of the foothills here, Maybe sinking air out ahead? It was odd

13 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Here's another. Tallest residential tower in world, 131 floors. Cool $60M+ to own penthouse suite. fawkin engineering feat

035c830f8248701d25d7bd1e622697fd.jpg6d71ae8c88422b02533cd96d54c7b0f1.jpg

There will definitely be some snowy nights at the top that people down below won't be getting.  Hopefully some weather weenie lives there and takes measurements from his balcony 1500 feet above street.

• Haha 1