Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I do love me some hoar frost on a frigid morning.

Nothing beats driving through diamond dust though. 

Hoar frost was beautiful around Newfound Lake this morning.  With the open water it added more moisture to the air so the trees were frosted.  The bays are freezing up this morning but I suspect they will open up with a couple of days of rain and warmth.

I thought this was interesting.  I took it from a facebook weather group.  A study was done looking at 1000 weather station obs and surface temperature with rain or snow falling.  Freezing rain/sleet was thrown out.  So this is just a general graph at what one might expect with a given surface temp.   36.5F seems to be the 50% temperature of either rain or snow.

rain verse snow.jpg

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I thought this was interesting.  I took it from a facebook weather group.  A study was done looking at 1000 weather station obs and surface temperature with rain or snow falling.  Freezing rain/sleet was thrown out.  So this is just a general graph at what one might expect with a given surface temp.   36.5F seems to be the 50% temperature of either rain or snow.

Anecdotally I always zeroed out any accumulation at >= 37, and really limited it above 35. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Looking towards you today from Stowe.... there was something crystal clear about the air today that made the Presidential Range look like the Rockies.  It was almost like a perpetual orange glow on the horizon all afternoon too.  Guess we are getting to under 2 weeks to the lowest sun angle of the year.  A good time of year for cool long range vistas with clear skies and low angle light....also inversions that can play with our eyes when viewing distant mtn ranges.

78623382_10103962174302800_7997632089048

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looking towards you today from Stowe.... there was something crystal clear about the air today that made the Presidential Range look like the Rockies.  It was almost like a perpetual orange glow on the horizon all afternoon too.  Guess we are getting to under 2 weeks to the lowest sun angle of the year.  A good time of year for cool long range vistas with clear skies and low angle light....also inversions that can play with our eyes when viewing distant mtn ranges.

78623382_10103962174302800_7997632089048

It looks bigger than what I see and I'm only a few miles away

23 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Definitely not my first choice for a fake cold radiational night. 

Elevated valley?  We were a relatively modest +1, only the 3rd coldest morning of the season.

In other news, now that the general firearms season for deer has ended, those critters have become interested in the abundant drops beneath our most productive apple tree - had 7 in our 1/20-acre yard yesterday afternoon.  It's traditional - no matter how many fruit-softening frosts and freezes in November (a lot these past two years), the deer don't move in before December. 

31 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Elevated valley?  We were a relatively modest +1, only the 3rd coldest morning of the season.

In other news, now that the general firearms season for deer has ended, those critters have become interested in the abundant drops beneath our most productive apple tree - had 7 in our 1/20-acre yard yesterday afternoon.  It's traditional - no matter how many fruit-softening frosts and freezes in November (a lot these past two years), the deer don't move in before December. 

You should try your luck at black powder, At least that buys you the first two weeks of Dec to put meat in the freezer.