• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

At that position I'm confused why the winds wouldn't be backing to SW or even SSW...any thoughts?

It moves from that location almost due east. Keeps the winds WSW, I still think it makes it up to the Metro. Winds also veer on Thursday, but dry air moves in and cap lowers. But it has to be watched. 

It varies depending on the instability. Nov 2014 had 20k cloud tops in event 1 and 15k in event 2 if I'm reading that correctly? @OSUmetstud

From a climatological perspective, the storm had signs of an 
unprecedented event early on, with historical analogs and 
climatological ensembles pointing to a rare if ever seen event over 
a 30 year climatology.   500 mb temperatures eventually dropped to 
-42C on the KBUF sounding Tuesday evening.  With lake temperatures 
around 9C, lake induced equilibrium levels exceeded the 500mb 
temperature and maxed out near 20000'.  Further up in the 
atmospheric column, the 200mb heights were lower than anything in 
recent memory.  The more traditional 850mb temperature value of -15C 
was also on the lower edge of the climatological spectrum. 
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

Good to know. I’ve just had these Bridgestones (Dueller HT Alenza) in slush and ice and can honestly say they suck. On dry, they’re amazing. Quiet, smooth and save me 2-3 mpg from the beefy off roaders.. 

So it’s pick ur poison. Great in the stuff or nice on the road. 
Your truck looks like a beast. Jesus Christ! That thing is worth more than my house! 

D6B0394F-4CF3-4FCE-ADC6-B58452644BCC.png

It's a rather large truck lol. Diesel f-350 long bed with 4 full doors which makes makes the thing a beast in the snow. Looking at those bridgestones and can see they aren't the best for snow. My cooper tires had a ton of road noise that I wasn't a fan of and come spring time I'm going to get a set of highway tires for the spring/summer/fall then throw my goodyear tires on for the winter/snow plowing

10428876_10152931540973957_1431329706_n.jpg

• Like 2

I just bought these bad boys this week!  I also chose to stud them because I’ve noticed some difference on truly icy roads (and they sound and look cooler, haha). I have separate rims for each so it’s relatively easy to change between seasons.  

Dedicated snow tires are a game changer. The rubber is softer in cold conditions and the additional sipes really grab the snow.

I also add about 500lbs of sand bags in the bed during big storms. 

FD5ADA7F-8E46-46F2-B78F-867385C5E831.thumb.jpeg.72b4baaa9c11a001f3cd7e76dc971ba9.jpeg

My wife has continental terraincontact A/T on her Xterra Pro 4 x. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact+A%2FT&partnum=77SR8TCATOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=RAM&autoYear=2017&autoModel=2500 4WD Crew Cab&autoModClar=LT275%2F70-18 or LT285%2F60-20

i found them to quiet on the highway and nothing has stopped it whether it’s mud or snow.  AT tires usually suck at something and good at everything else.  These are good at everything.  This truck also has a rear locking diff and really matters.  

I have a Ram 2500 with the standard transforce highway tire.  Everyone says they suck and they might in fact suck, but they are good on the highway and I haven’t had any issues with the 4wd on so far.  I tow a snowmobile trailer up by the tug so I’ve seen some crap.  I am thinking once the front wheels are engaged all the engine weight and cab weight make up for marginal tires.  I am tempted to get the continentals.  I need 2 new tires and it’s cheaper to put the transforce back on instead of a set of 4 new continental tires.  

I wonder which vehicle  is the better as a snow chase vehicle. The xterra is pretty insane 4wd with the lockers especially. It’s light and maneuverable. The ram has a much higher clearance and is very very planted and gives confidence. But if the ram goes off the road somehow, it could be 7500lb problem. 

Hmmm.  No matter what these vehicles are pretty able.  I got some ideas about testing them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

My wife has continental terraincontact A/T on her Xterra Pro 4 x. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact+A%2FT&partnum=77SR8TCATOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=RAM&autoYear=2017&autoModel=2500 4WD Crew Cab&autoModClar=LT275%2F70-18 or LT285%2F60-20

i found them to quiet on the highway and nothing has stopped it whether it’s mud or snow.  AT tires usually suck at something and good at everything else.  These are good at everything.  This truck also has a rear locking diff and really matters.  

I have a Ram 2500 with the standard transforce highway tire.  Everyone says they suck and they might in fact suck, but they are good on the highway and I haven’t had any issues with the 4wd on so far.  I tow a snowmobile trailer up by the tug so I’ve seen some crap.  I am thinking once the front wheels are engaged all the engine weight and cab weight make up for marginal tires.  I am tempted to get the continentals.  I need 2 new tires and it’s cheaper to put the transforce back on instead of a set of 4 new continental tires.  

I wonder which vehicle  is the better as a snow chase vehicle. The xterra is pretty insane 4wd with the lockers especially. It’s light and maneuverable. The ram has a much higher clearance and is very very planted and gives confidence. But if the ram goes off the road somehow, it could be 7500lb problem. 

Hmmm.  No matter what these vehicles are pretty able.  I got some ideas about testing them.

I don't have any experience with the transforce but I did have a set of bfgoodrich commercial T/A's and those were nice on the highway and I even had them on for a year of snow plowing and they did ok. Biggest thing i found was I had to go into 4 wheel drive more often then other tires.

Locking rear diff is nice, I have a limited slip rear end on my f350 and it's pretty crazy how much traction you get when it engages. My buddy has a newer f350 that has a locking rear but he says he hasn't even used it lol