Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Hell at this far range I'll accept almost 50% @ KBUF

Yes, at this range so much can happen with regards to so many factors that will ultimately determine who gets how much that it seems very safe to follow the generic wording KBUF is in their long range.

"The magnitude and depth of the cold air, available moisture, and position of upper level features all look to be FAVORABLE FOR A SIGNIFICANT LAKE EFFECT SNOW EVENT east of Lakes Erie and Ontario. Obviously at this time range specifics are not possible in terms of location and amounts. Stay tuned."

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 5:04 PM, CNY_WX said:

Does anybody really expect Albany to win this?  Remember the Washington Nationals started out slow too.

Well of course not.  Albany never has won and never could win.  It's fun to see them on top for a few days though as its virtually unprecedented for them to ever have the lead.  

Well of course not.  Albany never has won and never could win.  It's fun to see them on top for a few days though as its virtually unprecedented for them to ever have the lead.  

They kinda won it back in 1947-48.
Albany 90.0”
Buffalo 42.1”
Rochester 75.5”

Binghamton and Syracuse did not have official record keeping sites that were recognized by the NWS at the time however.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Albany 90.0”
Buffalo 42.1”
Rochester 75.5”

Binghamton and Syracuse did not have official record keeping sites that were recognized by the NWS at the time however.

Those snow totals for the 1940s were abysmal. I know Buffalo had the recording station at the upper Niagara river, where was Rochesters recording station?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

HWO this far out?. BUF is ridiculous. LES in Erie county is the only thing they give a **** about. 

It’s been a slow start to the LES season, hope BUF gets some action. This far out, it’s impossible to figure on a wind direction. As others have said, S towns and Tug look interesting. But the through Wayne county in. 
Has SYR ever been last in the golden snowball? Don’t bet against them. Lol

I ruined it for SYR when I put my address here...……………………….. lol

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Noticed on the 18z GFS that the system we were drooling over on the 6z run is now a giant cutter...again...im hoping this isn't a precursor of last year's cold to mild to cold to mild save for the 2 week stretch in the second half of January last winter.

Winters of this decade...

Every system this year so far has ended up farther north than forecasted as well. If in doubt this decade...it's wagons north.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Noticed on the 18z GFS that the system we were drooling over on the 6z run is now a giant cutter...again...im hoping this isn't a precursor of last year's cold to mild to cold to mild save for the 2 week stretch in the second half of January last winter.

Not on the gfs ensmebles

11 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

That cutter will be giving somebody a lot of lake effect snow (as of now) , even if most of it misses me to the north, I welcome the opportunity lol Tired of seeing a NW flow. 

Only a couple people on this board welcome a west-wsw flow. 

That's because 90% of the posters on here live around Syracuse somehow. WNY has a million people and 5-6 posters on here. The predominant sentiment I get via FB is that 99% of the people in Buffalo hate the snow. They need to learn to embrace the season since its the most wintry big city on the eastern portion of America. Me and you get hit with a similar wind direction. W/WSW.

Onondaga has a higher pop. then I thought 465k vs Erie countys 925k. People in Buffalo need to embrace it like those in Syracuse do.

Also didn't realize 6,000 people moved into Erie County from 2010 to 2017. That's pretty shocking, really shows how the city is being revitalized and why housing prices are sky high right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Are we talking about the wind storm on Tuesday, cause that’s what I’m tracking.  Haha. It’s losing a little steam but has maintained enough juice in the last two runs to still be a full on high wind warning.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tim123 said:

Rochester is the snowiest big city in america. All depends on what's considered a big city. 

The siting of the official recording for a city is far more arbitrary than a population cutoff. And it’s not just an issue that affects cities in New York — I’m pretty sure that Grand Rapids would be a Golden Snowball-level competitor if their NWS office was located a few miles west of downtown, instead of a few miles east of downtown.

Either population counts or it doesn’t. If you draw the line at Rochester — a midsized city with a largely rural “metro” area that includes six counties and somehow extends all the way down to Penn Yan — then why not count Oswego or Jamestown. 

4 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Albany 90.0”
Buffalo 42.1”
Rochester 75.5”

Until 1950 weather observations for Syracuse were taken downtown.  After 1950 observations were moved to Hancock Intl. Airport which is about 10 miles north of the city.   More snow generally falls north of downtown so most of Syracuse’s record are post 1950.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

Until 1950 weather observations for Syracuse were taken downtown.  After 1950 observations were moved to Hancock Intl. Airport which is about 10 miles north of the city.   More snow generally falls north of downtown so most of Syracuse’s record are post 1950.

So far this year, most of the minimal lake effect snow events have been centered over the West-central portion of the county around Camillus to Solvay...which is the area I would expect to get the least LES in the Syracuse area. 

5 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

So far this year, most of the minimal lake effect snow events have been centered over the West-central portion of the county around Camillus to Solvay...which is the area I would expect to get the least LES in the Syracuse area. 

I’m newer to the area but here in skaneateles we have cashed in on all of them so far - and this is counter to the last two years.