• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Happy Birthday Old Man Winter storm obs

Ginx snewx

Welp ... 16" total.   That ties my personal best/experienced single December event, which includes 1992 16" Lowell, 1997 15" Acton, and 2005 14" Acton...   16" 2019 Ayer ! 

Though, each storm in that list was unique and unlike the others, and that includes this one. Also, that's "personal experience" with them; some got more or less in each, of course. 

Something about Dec storms; the common theme is, if your going to push records in this month, it seems it's gotta be a weird event to do it - interesting.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Greg said:

Logan International Airport … 7.1" :snowing:

Yes sir! Officially a 7 spot for the city now.

This was the first storm since I moved here that I've seen the Logan spotter actually be consistent and similar to my measurements. It actually feels accurate after years of under measuring.

Who was it (Jay, maybe?) that said BOX was looking for a new Logan spotter and they were emailing them? Seems like they finally found a competent person that does it right. Measurements for the rest of the season will be interesting

Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

I'm working on it now @Ginx snewx Bascially went back on the last 10 pages when the storm stopped used those numbers, now i go through the 3 PNS statements, and thats more than enough points of data for this storm.

Takes about 1.5 hours or so

Just thought I’d tell ya Dylan...all the snow cover is still on the ground here..it didn’t melt away despite the sun out.  It’s very winter looking for sure.  Looking forward to your map pal. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Just thought I’d tell ya Dylan...all the snow cover is still on the ground here..it didn’t melt away despite the sun out.  It’s very winter looking for sure.  Looking forward to your map pal. 

Thanks, well here it melted. id say its still a snow cover but its half green, lots of blades of grass showing through everywhere. streets and driveways are dry.

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Thanks, well here it melted. id say its still a snow cover but its half green, lots of blades of grass showing through everywhere. streets and driveways are dry.

Ya, I figured there it’d be tougher.  100% cover here still due to the increased snow accumulation. Of course streets and driveways are dry and bare here too, as is usually the case when the snow stops early morning, and the sun comes out.  

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

how much did you get

Just under 17 total. Got crushed in round 1 with 9.5, with most of that falling in about 3 hours. Then limped to about an inch yesterday with mood snows most of the day with a few brief moderate bursts. Then had a quick 6 this morning. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just under 17 total. Got crushed in round 1 with 9.5, with most of that falling in about 3 hours. Then limped to about an inch yesterday with mood snows most of the day with a few brief moderate bursts. Then had a quick 6 this morning. 

Wow you averaged at over 3"/hr for 3 hours? That's impressive, it's not hard to get a rate of 3"/hr for short bursts in heavy banding like i did last night for 10-20 minutes but to average that over 3 hours is something. 

17" and you were under a winter weather advisory lol. 8-13" forecast with an advisory is ridiculous.

Did you change over at all to sleet/zr?

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Wow you averaged at over 3"/hr for 3 hours? That's impressive, it's not hard to get a rate of 3"/hr for short bursts in heavy banding like i did last night for 10-20 minutes but to average that over 3 hours is something. 

17" and you were under a winter weather advisory lol. 8-13" forecast with an advisory is ridiculous.

Did you change over at all to sleet/zr?

No, I said most of it fell in 3 hours. Prob about 7" of it. 

No, never flipped to sleet amazingly. I thought we were going to but it just dryslotted and even the cruddy echoes in the dryslot were crappy flakes with no ice pellets in there. We may have had a bit of freezing drizzle though in the dryslot during the lowest returns with the SGZ dried out. There was the finest glaze yesterday morning...like it wasn't enough to produce a crust on the snow but I noticed a hint of that "bumpy" ice feel oknthe metal railing outside. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A couple pics for powderfreak....first one is last night of my son helping me clean. The second one is this morning helping me clean again...lol. He's becoming a huge snow weenie

Priceless dude.  Little man shoveling a memorable early season winter storm.

I'm happy for the larger crew here on the forum.  What a solid storm, to historic in some areas.

• Like 1

December 3-5, 2003 was 22" for me over 44 Hours, which is similar to this storm, but that was 22" Total and it was still 20" compact.  The first storm where I used my favorite shovel that I STILL use.  I can still remember the piles!  Vividly on that one!  

That was 5X better than this one.  

• Weenie 2