• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2019

George BM

If you take the last 3 Jan and  3 Feb's in DC; they have averaged about 3 inches of snow per month. It's only that high because of the Jan 14th storm from last year. Otherwise, the average would actually 1 inch per month.

The mountains are different, but if we want to talk I-95, really this is normal. 1 inch for Jan and 1 inch for Feb with a 10% chance of a real snowstorm is pretty much where we are these days.

So this is not abnormal is it guys?

We are the new Charleston SC.

DT6JqeqWsAAhIAK.jpg

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Let's save it for next year.  I don't want some rogue 12" - 16" event that's gone in 48 hours.

Dude....

do you know how many storms youre describing?  I remember the February 1987 storm the day after I had to go to Harpers Ferry WV from NJ for a baptism. We had about 12” in NJ and there was 16” at Harpers Ferry and by the time I got to the Christiana Mall in Delaware almost all the snow was gone. By WV nothing but piles. So do we toss that storm?  Feb 2006 was gone 48 hours later. Toss it. The only good snow we got in Feb 1997 was gone the next day. Tossed.  Careful. Soon our average of snowfall you approve of will be about 2”. 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Dude....

do you know how many storms youre describing?  I remember the February 1987 storm the day after I had to go to Harpers Ferry WV from NJ for a baptism. We had about 12” in NJ and there was 16” at Harpers Ferry and by the time I got to the Christiana Mall in Delaware almost all the snow was gone. By WV nothing but piles. So do we toss that storm?  Feb 2006 was gone 48 hours later. Toss it. The only good snow we got in Feb 1997 was gone the next day. Tossed.  Careful. Soon our average of snowfall you approve of will be about 2”. 

Some rogue 12-16 inch event. Lol. That's a top 15 all time event for the southern half of the forum. As McEnroe once said "you cannot be serious".

The 3 storms you mentioned were great examples. Here are some others. 

Dec. 1992 4 inches wiped away within a few hours as temps pushed into the 50's.

Feb. 1993 suburbs get 3-6 gone the very next day as temps get into the 60's.

Dec. 1990 5-8 gone within 2 days.

PD1 20 inches gone within a few days.

Countless other front end thumps washed away immediately after a change to rain. 

Probably 90 percent of march snowfalls are gone in 48 hours. We don't live in upstate New York like some here think. That is why when we get an epic stretch it's special but I digress.

7 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Yesterday was pretty much a perfect day in the NFL. Ravens won without even playing some of their top guys, broke records along the way. Pats lost to Dolphins. Eagles/Cowboys drama was settled. Bengals beat the Stains. Pats lost. I won some money in DraftKings. The Dolphins somehow beat the Pats. The Seattle/SF game was a hell of a way to end the regular season. And the most important thing is the Patriots lost AT HOME to the Dolphins. I was literally laughing hysterically at the Twitter feed from the Pats handle when they posted the final score. It was both sweet and salty from all the tears of Pats fans. It's going to be great when Brady and Bill retire, and they fade into obscurity. 

I'm a Dolphins fan so I "hate" (sports hate, not real hate) Brady and Belichek as much as anyone, but do you really thing they fade into obscurity after six superbowls and the longest stretch of sustained dominance in NFL history, heck maybe in all North American team sports history?

2 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I'm a Dolphins fan so I "hate" (sports hate, not real hate) Brady and Belichek as much as anyone, but do you really thing they fade into obscurity after six superbowls and the longest stretch of sustained dominance in NFL history, heck maybe in all North American team sports history?

I can think of a few NHL teams that would like to speak to you re: the dominance thing.

With respect to Brady and Belichek, I think it is part "Could someone else win already," but the media needs to take a bunch of blame for their hero-worship of certain athletes, like Brady, and professional sports leagues for encouraging that focus on certain athletes over the team sport aspect.  At a certain point it becomes a turnoff to the average fan who otherwise would say that person is good at what they do.

Now that I've probably annoyed a Pats fan or two, I'll move a bit down 95 and add that I'm sure I wasn't the only person who thought the MLB/media slobberfest during Derek Jeter's last season got really tiring really fast.  I mean, good players retire all the time but they don't get pre-game ceremonies and goodbye gifts from every other team in the league.  Of course, now he spends his time running the Marlins into the ground.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

@HighStakes breaking out the McEnroe reference...lol..classic 

Dec 92' was a freaking bomb . I loved tracking that storm along with the Weather Channel at the time.  I Forgot about 90' but once you mentioned it I think I recall it now .

The 90 storm was between Christmas and new years that year. Not a good snow season at all but that storm was an unexpected surprise. 

The 92 storm really was a bomb. 

22 minutes ago, George BM said:

Did either you or @losetoa6 experience any thunder snow from the 92 bomb?

I don't recall any however it snowed very heavy for several hours. As a naive college sophomore I was hoping the calls for a change to rain would bust.

The transition from heavy snow to heavy rain was in an instant and everything that fell was washed in a couple hours. 

1 hour ago, snowfan said:

Was up in new england over the weekend. Rough conditions at every ski area I saw.....Loon, Cannon, Bretton Woods, Attitash, and Wildcat. And, so much brown ground all over outside the mountains.

I was under the impression that they had had a snowy December.

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That look actually isn't too far from a workable one.  As is that would be mostly a cold dry look after the wet look the first week which I suspect is from a cutter to usher in the pattern.  BUT...get the trough to hang back into the SW a bit more to create a positively tilted trough with just enough SE ridge and it becomes a good pattern for progressive waves.  I would take my chances with that look.  Its a stones throw from a workable look unlike what the Euro weeklies suggests with is pretty much a no hope shut out the lights for the entire season look.  However...I am about to drop what is going to be the least popular post in americanwx history.  

Oh poopy.

10 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Welp, with that PSU post all but raising the alarm that this winter could be lost, I’m going to have to abandon the @showmethesnow Protocol and begin weenie sacrifices to the Snow Gods to being this one back. 

I hate to do it, but this is the only way to get snow. Get the popcorn ready again, @WinterWxLuvr

The first weenie will be brought to the altar at midnight.

WS41325-14__32832.1555003863.jpg?c=2&imb

Whatever it takes....

I think I should be getting a pretty big commission after that post this evening...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

So, I am curious how JB is reacting to the models these days.

He will likely be in a state of denial for as long as he possibly can.  Delayed but not denied...then he will get frustrated, act defiant against the guidance, then finally cave but give a bunch of reasons why he wasn't really that wrong.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic