Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2019

George BM

21 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Eventually they all will go or be purchased. I've heard that Harris Teeter is looking at some locations

The Shoppers in Burke will be replaced by a Lidl. We’re pretty excited by it. My wife has a deep connection to Germany, and our experiences there have always been really good.

13 hours ago, poolz1 said:

No doubt...it's pretty liberating isn't it?  We cut the cord a little over a year ago and havent looked back.  We actually kept our local channels through Direct TV because they offered me 19.99/mo for a year.  Then upped it to $60/mo....lol.  That was the last straw and they wouldn't budge on it.  Nothing makes me happier than to not send Direct TV another dime.

My biz partner is a master at gaming any system. He's been prodding me to cut cable for a year. You game the internet system by buying your own xfinity and verizon compatible equipment then switch back and forth every 12-24 months. I had Fios for 17 years and Verizon had zero interest in giving me any kind of deal to stay so I switched to Xfinity with 600mbs speed for $70/mo for 24 months. Sometime between month 12-24 I'll switch back to Fios under a new customer promotion and keep doing it indefinitely. 

Live TV streaming competition will keep getting more fierce so prices should hold or decrease. Internet costs are already on the decline (generally speaking).

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

The forecast looks pretty seasonal between now and the beginning of December to me. Highs in the 40s and lows in the lower 30s. Wasn't this supposed to be the shutout inferno period of doom? Seems pretty normal to me. Maybe some overhyping going on...

I suppose but also, 60F is pretty close by to our forum if not in our forum a couple days next week...Not a complete torch but meh. The weather pattern is really boring the next 7-10 days though

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The forecast looks pretty seasonal between now and the beginning of December to me. Highs in the 40s and lows in the lower 30s. Wasn't this supposed to be the shutout inferno period of doom? Seems pretty normal to me. Maybe some overhyping going on...

That wasn't the center of the discussion. Midlevel temps are scorched for the next 10 days with 850s above freezing until sometime after Christmas. Idgaf about surface temps when the 0c 850 line is in Canada. There is no chance for snowfall any time soon. That's what is troubling but hey, if 45-50 degrees on Christmas is a win in your book then great. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My biz partner is a master at gaming any system. He's been prodding me to cut cable for a year. You game the internet system by buying your own xfinity and verizon compatible equipment then switch back and forth every 12-24 months. I had Fios for 17 years and Verizon had zero interest in giving me any kind of deal to stay so I switched to Xfinity with 600mbs speed for $70/mo for 24 months. Sometime between month 12-24 I'll switch back to Fios under a new customer promotion and keep doing it indefinitely. 

Live TV streaming competition will keep getting more fierce so prices should hold or decrease. Internet costs are already on the decline (generally speaking).

We made the switch to YouTube TV early this year after out Xfinity bill was pushing almost 200 bucks without any perks.  Best decision we have made.  We bumped our internet down to 25mbs and have had zero issues with streaming three different tvs at once as well as general internet surfing.  I have found away to watch the NATs through some not so "legal" ways but hopefully they will leave and head to NBC Sports Washington soon.  We cut our bill in half.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

What they need to do is build out 5G infrastructure and then have a single bill for home internet and phone.  Just get rid of the fiber optic infrastructure.  

from psu "Only thing I feel confident in is that we should ignore JB tweets. The only thing worse than his social commentary is his weather commentary. "

@psuhoffman wanted to respond in banter but a few weeks ago he tweeted that Twitter was blocking him from posting a climate post when the real reason was simply a technical based within Twitter.  I hardly ever read JB these days.  He has a great memory for previous patterns and outcomes but he does more social commentary and even the weather tweets are more biased it seems these last five years. 

38 minutes ago, LP08 said:

We made the switch to YouTube TV early this year after out Xfinity bill was pushing almost 200 bucks without any perks.  Best decision we have made.  We bumped our internet down to 25mbs and have had zero issues with streaming three different tvs at once as well as general internet surfing.  I have found away to watch the NATs through some not so "legal" ways but hopefully they will leave and head to NBC Sports Washington soon.  We cut our bill in half.

Oyyy. As a gamer, I could never do this as long as I live. I'm running 400mbs right now in Midland. I almost want to get Giggabit speed for $30/mo more, but that's not a very wise decision with the current CoL out here. Next year? Maybe. We'll see. I watch Ravens games through Buffstreams that I found off Reddit. I'm on a 30 sec lag between real time, but the picture and stream is crisp. 

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Oyyy. As a gamer, I could never do this as long as I live. I'm running 400mbs right now in Midland. I almost want to get Giggabit speed for $30/mo more, but that's not a very wise decision with the current CoL out here. Next year? Maybe. We'll see. I watch Ravens games through Buffstreams that I found off Reddit. I'm on a 30 sec lag between real time, but the picture and stream is crisp. 

Yup!  Reddit is where I go as well (usually just the redzone feed unless the Steelers are on (ducks!)). I am not a gamer so that never crossed my mind.  I pay 45 for internet.  I'll never go back.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Opinion of him is pretty negative on this site.  I wonder how he got to be some famous in the first place.  Did he just get lucky as few times?

I'll take this into banter to not shift focus in the LR thread. JB was very popular back into the late 90's and 00's with Accuweather and really help kick-start the Accuweather Premium service. He was more rounded and talked almost exclusively weather. He didn't have nearly as much of a bias now. He is still pretty good in some areas, but since his falling out with Accuweather, he moved on and created a new service with WeatherBell. Since the move, he's been pretty boisterous on his opinions with AGW and has become a huge Hype-master for winter weather prospects in the major cities. He's a powder hound that grew up in NJ and Conn. He lives near the State College area still after working at Accuweather. His twitter account was mostly weather when he started. Now he's pretty political and leans right for a ton of issues. He's a very smart dude that I think has gotten very caught up in propaganda and he's really lost it recently. He's somewhat respected in the weather community, but he's rubbed people the wrong way enough times now and people are over it. That's all I got. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Yup!  Reddit is where I go as well (usually just the redzone feed unless the Steelers are on (ducks!)). I am not a gamer so that never crossed my mind.  I pay 45 for internet.  I'll never go back.

None taken. I know there are Steelers fans everywhere (I have quite a few friends of them from college). I hate the Steelers, but I have respect for the organization and the rivalry. New England otoh......I won't go there :lol:

Reddit is a beautiful site for football streams. Baseball is very hit or miss unfortunately. Thankfully, my Orioles are so bad right now with the rebuild, I'll gladly just catch the highlights, but I follow them extensively from the team website and twitter. Will always be a fan, but man oh man, it can be so rough. As for the internet, I pay $64 (with the fees included) for 400mbs service, so I'm fairly happy. Next time I move to an area with Google Fiber capabilities, I'm going with them and never looking back. 1000/1000 speeds just cannot be beat man. Gaming needs a decent connection with FPS game types. Without it, it's very hard to enjoy. 

4 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

None taken. I know there are Steelers fans everywhere (I have quite a few of them from college). I hate the Steelers, but I have respect for the organization and the rivalry. New England otoh......I won't go there :lol:

Reddit is a beautiful site for football streams. Baseball is very hit or miss unfortunately. Thankfully, my Orioles are so bad right now with the rebuild, I'll gladly just catch the highlights, but I follow them extensively from the team website and twitter. Will always be a fan, but man oh man, it can be so rough. As for the internet, I pay $64 (with the fees included) for 400mbs service, so I'm fairly happy. Next time I move to an area with Google Fiber capabilities, I'm going with them and never looking back. 1000/1000 speeds just cannot be beat man. Gaming needs a decent connection with FPS game types. Without it, it's very hard to enjoy. 

I am a weird fan.  I am Caps, Nats, then Steelers.  Grew up with Pittsburgh neighbors and always watched games there.  I have had some success with the Nats on reddit but also like to just listen to the radio feed while doing other things.  You get better prices out there in Midland! :P

2 minutes ago, LP08 said:

I am a weird fan.  I am Caps, Nats, then Steelers.  Grew up with Pittsburgh neighbors and always watched games there.  I have had some success with the Nats on reddit but also like to just listen to the radio feed while doing other things.  You get better prices out there in Midland! :P

It's one of the few things that's cheaper out here lol. The CoL here is pretty close to back home. In fact, median rent is a hair more expensive than DC/NoVA. This is not a joke. Someone in the NWS crunched the numbers and did a plot of all the CWA's. MAF is 8th most expensive and LWX is 9th. I smh

1 hour ago, cbmclean said:

Opinion of him is pretty negative on this site.  I wonder how he got to be some famous in the first place.  Did he just get lucky as few times?

This is just an educated guess and my opinion...but back in the early 2000s before there was a plethora of good expert weather discussion available online he was one of the main providers.  I also think he was less of an extremist hype machine back then in his accuweather days.  Don't get me wrong, he was still too extreme, he would do this back and forth video with Ken Reaves and he would always lose on their little competitions because he would go too cold or too snowy and Ken was more reserved.  But he still wasn't as bad as he has become since.  On top of that...his constant hype and spin gets old.  At one point several years ago he actually said..."its going to be an inch, and it will be the worst inch of snow ever".    It might work on some people for awhile... but eventually you figure out his act.  

But he is actually still fairly popular in the NYC region.  But imo that is because he over forecasts snow like crazy...but NYC has been on the greatest 15 year snowfall heater in their history so for them his forecasts havent been nearly as awful.  He probably still over forecasts snow even there...which is hard since they have been getting way above normal snow most years...but he isnt as far off.  His huge error here is often including our area in storms that are clearly going to our north. 

On top of that he also alienates some people personally.  He takes some really ignorant stances (IMO) and digs in.  And I don't just mean wrt global warming.  He has said some really derogatory things about teachers, public servants, scientists, and public figures.  

Lastly...and I can only speak for myself...but I can excuse a lot of the hype and snow weenie stuff...but IMO he flat out lies and tells people what he things will get him clicks and subscriptions from snow weenies and I cannot accept that lack of integrity.  I have seen several specific examples of his blatant dishonesty.  Some are indisputable like one year when he used the snowfall recorded at IAD to verify his forecast for DCA.  Other times...its simply that I know he isn't totally stupid, and he says things that completely contradict things he has said or that common sense dictates he knows...in order to spin a forecast into a snowy one.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Is it Sunday at 1 PM yet? I feel like I wish my weeks away now. Watching Caps highlights and playing Modern Warfare can only pass the time so fast. 

OMG. I have the same feelings. It's like a good lover, you can never get enough and you always miss them. 

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic