• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2019

George BM

36 years ago I started pushing a broom for $3.25 an hour at a store called Jumbo Foods which later became Shoppers Food Warehouse. That basically was the beginning of my career in the retail industry and I have stayed in it ever since and it has ultimately afforded me a pretty comfortable and stable life. Well Shoppers is most likely going to close up shop here soon and that makes my heart heavy and sad on many levels. It is always sad to see something that had such an impact on your life go away...much like snow in the mid atlantic....but the memories will always be there and for the most part happy...much like winters in the mid atlantic. :)

R.I.P SFW

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

36 years ago I started pushing a broom for $3.25 an hour at a store called Jumbo Foods which later became Shoppers Food Warehouse. That basically was the beginning of my career in the retail industry and I have stayed in it ever since and it has ultimately afforded me a pretty comfortable and stable life. Well Shoppers is most likely going to close up shop here soon and that makes my heart heavy and sad on many levels. It is always sad to see something that had such an impact on your life go away...much like snow in the mid atlantic....but the memories will always be there and for the most part happy...much like winters in the mid atlantic. :)

R.I.P SFW

The grocery industry is being destroyed by the yuppies who frequent Wegmans and Whole Foods.  You're seeing food deserts now emerge in a lot of rural and urban low income areas alike.  I always hoped, growing up, the future would be good, instead it's a dumpster fire of warm winters and expensive crapola.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Bob Chill since things are slow right now and depressing on the weather side...here is some info to help daydream.  Basically anywhere along these 3 ridges in northeast Carroll County is where you really get dumped...even in relation to further south along Parrs Ridge.   And you can see how those ridges line up with the snowfall map (its not perfect but the best representation I've seen to climo up here. 

CarrollParrs.png.a6c65552bd2ba6a3aa6cb8d21c3fcccd.pngAnnual_Snowfall1.jpg.c0c9d351b98e3fc3f5e542716c8f965e.jpg

There are some nice neighborhoods and properties that fit your description that are in that zone with a nice view along the ridges in purple

Carroll2.png.77c4820ace9c664512144c7fe39edeb4.png

over 13 seasons I am averaging 41.3"

The median is 36.5

The worst seasons was 18" in 07-08

The best was 101.3 in 09-10

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill since things are slow right now and depressing on the weather side...here is some info to help daydream.  Basically anywhere along these 3 ridges in northeast Carroll County is where you really get dumped...even in relation to further south along Parrs Ridge.   And you can see how those ridges line up with the snowfall map (its not perfect but the best representation I've seen to climo up here. 

CarrollParrs.png.a6c65552bd2ba6a3aa6cb8d21c3fcccd.pngAnnual_Snowfall1.jpg.c0c9d351b98e3fc3f5e542716c8f965e.jpg

There are some nice neighborhoods and properties that fit your description that are in that zone with a nice view along the ridges in purple

Carroll2.png.77c4820ace9c664512144c7fe39edeb4.png

The median is 36.5

Just wow .... in a couple of years since then I was almost completely shut out.

27 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The grocery industry is being destroyed by the yuppies who frequent Wegmans and Whole Foods.  You're seeing food deserts now emerge in a lot of rural and urban low income areas alike.  I always hoped, growing up, the future would be good, instead it's a dumpster fire of warm winters and expensive crapola.

Health food stores are still where it's at

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The median is 36.5

If you live where the red X is, then I've drafted for a few fires near your house of Ebbvale and Fridinger Mill Rds...it's like another world up there in the winter.  Super legit.

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If you live where the red X is, then I've drafted for a few fires near your house of Ebbvale and Fridinger Mill Rds...it's like another world up there in the winter.  Super legit.

Yes the red x is me...I live on a shared drive spur off Ebbvale, up on top of the ridge that overlooks Manchester.  About 1050 ft elevation.  

48 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Shoppers in Westminster is the grocery store I frequent the most.  I hope it is not on the chopping block.

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

R.I.P SFW

Did you work at the Jumbo Foods on Queens Chapel Rd/Michigan Ave?

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

Did you work at the Jumbo Foods on Queens Chapel Rd/Michigan Ave?

I worked at a few. First one was in Takoma Park on New Hampshire Ave. Then I worked at the Shoppers in Takoma Park by Fairview apartments, then Olney then Clinton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

R.I.P SFW

Great apple fritters

@WxWatcher007  we are soooo close now (re: my above post):

I’m nowhere near tossing the season, but that’s a rough look and could put us out until Jan 10-15 or later if it verifies that way. Since GEFS rapidly flipped to bad, guess we hope it flips to something better again in the next few days.

Any minute now will be the "by the time we re-shuffle and see where we are at it will be February and our window will be pretty short and we will need to cash in within a few week period". It's coming.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

@WxWatcher007  we are soooo close now (re: my above post):

Any minute now will be the "by the time we re-shuffle and see where we are at it will be February and our window will be pretty short and we will need to cash in within a few week period". It's coming.

Don't forget we still have the January thaw to get through 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

R.I.P SFW

So you started at age 60?

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic