Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2019

George BM

50 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

But again, is this really so far from what we normally see? To me, punting late December has been pretty much the norm for the last 7 or 8 years, right? (and even historically we seemed to have to punt that part of the month more!)

When it comes to punting any kind of snow, this region is the Ray Guy of December!!

12 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh heck no....the only reason I can look past that mega torch is because of the compensation we got for it the next month, lol

I feel like we have had more mega of mega torches in the past than what is modeled now.  This doesn’t look like a mega torch.  AN sure and no snow certainly but not 70s.  That’s my benchmark for mega.  

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, I don't see anything that leads me to believe a good winter pattern is on the way within the next 2 weeks and who knows what the "improved pattern" will look like whenever it gets here. 12z eps is pretty bad. One of the worst runs yet lately. Time to put all our chips on the GEFS.  

Couldn't resist Bob, but...it's time!! :D

3jrn4o.jpg

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I can’t wrap my head around people who prefer 30’s and rain over 60’s and sun, even if it’s December.

I personally hate nice weather in winter.  For example, today in NC, it was upper 60's, but it was really dark gloomy and rainy, so not so bad.

Since becoming a parent, I have become painfully aware that it is much nicer to have the kids run off energy outside then be cooked up all day though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

We’re all waiting on the CRAS to confirm!  

I was mentioning my confusion at the continued existence of the NAVGEM in the main thread and someone mentioned "hurricanes" as the answer.  Do you have any background in its intended purpose?

I was surprised to learn that the NAVGEM only came online back in 2013.

20 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I was mentioning my confusion at the continued existence of the NAVGEM in the main thread and someone mentioned "hurricanes" as the answer.  Do you have any background in its intended purpose?

Used to be the NOGAPS. That model had a progressive bias. I'm assuming the NAVGEM no longer has that bias. 

35 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

It’s run by the NAVY. It replaced the NOGAPS. I honestly don’t pay much attention too it. 

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

CRAS was (sadly) discontinued. Had it's one shining moment as the only model to nail the Boxing Day storm at range. It will live in infamy with other great retired models such as the NGM, MRF, DGEX, and ETA.

It was the Jan 30 2010 storm it got here. But only because it was always too amped and that storm ended up way more amped than modeled. 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Or you could just ignore them like I do. 

I guess my question is why does somebody spend 10s of millions of dollars yearly maintaining a useless model?

Edit: I guess the simple answer is they do not consider it useless, but still, seems obvious to everybody on here.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic