Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2019

George BM

11 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I doubt seriously that liability is different in 2019 than it was 25 years ago. 

Backbones are another issue entirely.

My wife works for PWCS administration.  It’s part the increased premiums for general liability for the school system and part fear of the people running the show to make the wrong decision.  They budgeted 13 days this year to the mandated 180.  They are use or lose.  Now using them this early in the season is folly but whatever.  

15 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Pleasantly surprised, but I don't trust them. They'll probably close for a day when it's 12F with a little wind in the morning.

I thought they were very reasonable last year.  My wife is an administrator in the county and it definitely is not the Fairfax of old when it comes to delays and closings.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:40 AM, Bob Chill said:

Depressed because my entire life revolved around backcountry and powder skiing and it was over.

There are actually lots of busts and roller coasters in the rockies. Many warning events that I woke up to partly cloudy and 1-2". Took a couple years before figuring out the right setups for the area I lived in. The biggest storm cycles were jet/orographic driven and not synoptic. Those big 4 corners lows that pummel the front range usually suck west of the divide. What's happening now with moist pac jet on W-NW flow is prime for the northern half of the state. Breckenridge has had almost 3 feet in the last 48 hrs. That's a very big storm and not very common. 

I am here now BC! It is pretty awesome. Drove up from Denver (enough snow on the ground to call it white) and started the climb up yesterday on 70. Got stopped just before the Bakerfield exit for 'snow mitigation', firing the avalanche cannons. Currently it is 4 degrees with a solid 2 feet on the ground here in Dillon with the son, who said the past 3 days were 'epic' in his words. :snowing:

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

I am here now BC! It is pretty awesome. Drove up from Denver (enough snow on the ground to call it white) and started the climb up yesterday on 70. Got stopped just before the Bakerfield exit for 'snow mitigation', firing the avalanche cannons. Currently it is 4 degrees with a solid 2 feet on the ground here in Dillon with the son, who said the past 3 days were 'epic' in his words. :snowing:

Raising your son well I see. B)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Yea, recent storm cycle was quite large for Dec. Resorts are killing it early season. Always nice to see even when my yard is mud and slush. Enjoy!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, George BM said:

Raising your son well I see. B)

Well, he is listening to Seger, Petty, 38 Special and such, so I think I did OK. Headed out, he is headed for Arap to see if he can get on the east wall after dropping me off at Peru Creek trailhead off Montezuma Rd, gonna go up the backside up towards Chihauhau trail to do some 'shoeing. Laters all!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Well, he is listening to Seger, Petty, 38 Special and such, so I think I did OK. Headed out, he is headed for Arap to see if he can get on the east wall after dropping me off at Peru Creek trailhead off Montezuma Rd, gonna go up the backside up towards Chihauhau trail to do some 'shoeing. Laters all!

Chihauhau! Been all over above Montezuma area. Cadillac chute is one of the biggest descents in Summit Co. All day affair tho... Easy access via snowshoes or trekking gear on an old mining road. Nothing dangerous on the way up. Just stay out of the steep areas. Peru creek is extremely peaceful without leg/heart killing inclines. Have a blast dude. Brings back memories. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Once you figure out that many of the long range guys on here are only big game hunting and days like today or a 2-4" means very little to them it's easier to digest their analysis 

Think many on here are always hunting for the big one, including myself,  but I enjoy all snow and track it up to game time regardless of amount. Even mood flakes put me in a good mood. So though I might not post much on something that is smaller and nearer in time doesn't mean I am not interested. It just means that I don't feel the need to post something that has already been said a dozen, 2 dozen times and/or I have nothing to add to the conversation.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic