Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2019

George BM

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

How are people punting thru the last week of January?

Ralph, I didn't say I was punting all of Jan. I merely stated that even if the pattern is not so great for a majority of the upcoming winter ( speculation ) all you need is a decent winter like period of say, several weeks, with multiple snows to mentally check off the winter as a decent one. It really is all about perceptions at times. No doom and gloom was intended. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

How are people punting thru the last week of January?

I wouldn't punt to the last week, but I'd punt to the middle of the month after the weekend threat...because of history alone! Only once in 140 years of records did the cities get a major storm (warning level at least) between Dec. 25th and mid-January: and that was January 1996. So it doesn't usually happen for the corridor, lol

4 hours ago, jonjon said:

On a weather note we picked up close to 4" of snow yesterday/last night

On a beer note we're ramping up for the holidays, and going to be tasting our Mattie G inspired Buffalo Trace barrel aged imperial stout next week to see if its gained enough character to release some over Christmas week.  And our new fruited sour's w/lactose have been a huge hit (we currently have a Blackberry/Cranberry version on tap, and next week we will have a Mango/Guava version along with a Raspberry/Cherry version).  

We're proud to be the top West Virginia brewery on untapped.  See https://brilliantstream.com/2019/12/wv-breweries-untappd-2019/ and we have a new pub opening outside of Charleston this coming spring.

This whole brewery thing has not only been fun, but rewarding enough for me to be closing my law firm at the end of this year (I'll still be involved with a title company doing closings, but another step away from the rat race).  You only live once, so doing what you love to do instead of what you have to do is what has driven me to reach this point.  

Anyway, we hope to see some of you out this way soon, if not for the snow, at least maybe some beer.

Or both?  If I'm around I would certainly hook up any member here with a free libation!  Cheers!

I had to give you a weenie because because you’re obviously a beer geek like some of the rest of us. :lol:
I can’t wait to hear about how that stout turns out. The sours sound awesome, too (even if I’m an anti-lactosian :lol:). I’d really love to get out there sometimes. 
Congrats on the successes and the ability to expand your business to the point of, as you said, leaving the rat race!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I wouldn't punt to the last week, but I'd punt to the middle of the month after the weekend threat...because of history alone! Only once in 140 years of records did the cities get a major storm (warning level at least) between Dec. 25th and mid-January: and that was January 1996. So it doesn't usually happen for the corridor, lol

Wow.  140 years and only once .  From the late 1800s.  That does put a lot in perspective.  

56 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

These are just ones I personally experienced:   December 31-Jan 1, 1970 was a 6-12" snowfall for I-95 between DC and Baltimore.   January 5, 1980 was a 4-8" storm.  January 7-8, 1988 was generally 6-8".  December 27-28, 1990 was 5-8".

There were others, like January 2, 1925 (6-10"),  and December 26-27, 1909 (8-12") and quite a few more that were 3-6" storms.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Why are people sh*tting up the banter thread with depressing weather talk?

GTFO!

Discussing depressing weather reality in the LR thread doesn't go over very well.

Also less chance of sending panicky weenies off the ledge, although that is definitely not a concern of mine.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I (everyone) always want to be right when predicting wx but I also very much want to bust badly. Everyone can make fun of me as they shovel their driveways. 

We are all hoping you bust badly. But you never seem to fail.  Is it that much to ask for you to fail just occasionally? 

43 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

These are just ones I personally experienced:   December 31-Jan 1, 1970 was a 6-12" snowfall for I-95 between DC and Baltimore.   January 5, 1980 was a 4-8" storm.  January 7-8, 1988 was generally 6-8".  December 27-28, 1990 was 5-8".

There were others, like January 2, 1925 (6-10"),  and December 26-27, 1909 (8-12") and quite a few more that were 3-6" storms.

Ya don't say...alright I learned something, lol (but still it doesn't seem to happen too often) I guess it's only the big ticket storms like what's on this list:

Top-25-top-Snowstorms-Baltimore.thumb.jpg.cb731e59da4fba13d255516e5a70fb13.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS says maybe there is hope that things improve before new years. Maybe today marks the valley of lowest lows for the season. 

No we can go lower...below sea level...Marianas trench...who knows maybe it is the bottom.  I’m tired of worrying about it.  Just make it below 60 on Xmas.  

14 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

No we can go lower...below sea level...Marianas trench...who knows maybe it is the bottom.  I’m tired of worrying about it.  Just make it below 60 on Xmas.  

Starting to look like the only way we aren't at least warmish on Christmas is if it rains. Lol. Maybe a backdoor front pushes down. I don't get bummed when winter holidays are warm as long as I can see winter returning not too far down the road. Maybe we're tracking a legit event come Christmas. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Starting to look like the only way we aren't at least warmish on Christmas is if it rains. Lol. Maybe a backdoor front pushes down. I don't get bummed when winter holidays are warm as long as I can see winter returning not too far down the road. Maybe we're tracking a legit event come Christmas. 

Still 10 days out.  Like you might, say click back 10 days and look at the result. You never know what can happen.  We could get that never happening storm on 22nd to happen..back door cold front...season of miracles.  

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

Hard to not feel defeated today.  The wheels came off the bus, the bus kept sliding and slammed into an orphanage and burst into flames.  The wheels kept bouncing and slammed into a van load of nuns and kittens.

We need Ji in here to spread some warm positive thoughts and holiday cheer

• Haha 1

Just now, cbmclean said:

Hard to not feel defeated today.  The wheels came off the bus, the bus kept sliding and slammed into an orphanage and burst into flames.  The wheels kept bouncing and slammed into a van load of nuns and kittens.

It really wasn't all that sudden. And  all that despair will be undone if HH somehow delivers a pre-Christmas snowstorm, even if it is wholly not believable.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It really wasn't all that sudden. And  all that despair will be undone if HH somehow delivers a pre-Christmas snowstorm, even if it is wholly not believable.

No, to be honest, it wasn't really sudden there were warning signs.  But to be frank it seems like there is always some sort of warning sign, something that fights us.  Sometimes they come to fruition, sometimes they disappear, sometimes they are brief, sometimes they are long.  I would say that it has just been the last three days that it has become completely apparent that you could avoid the signs only by being in denial and intellectually dishonest.

By the way, what is HH?  

Just now, cbmclean said:

No, to be honest, it wasn't really sudden there were warning signs.  But to be frank it seems like there is always some sort of warning sign, something that fights us.  Sometimes they come to fruition, sometimes they disappear, sometimes they are brief, sometimes they are long.  I would say that it has just been the last three days that it has become completely apparent that you could avoid the signs only by being in denial and intellectually dishonest.

By the way, what is HH?  

It's when we drink too much beer earlier than we should.

Also describes the 18z GFS, which coincides. ;) 

I think Maestro is right. We’ve all been here before. It’s highly likely that the warmup has legs and takes us through January before we can change the pattern. Likely will be February before we can get anything meaningful. By then we start to battle the sun and length of day which takes us into our March snows that usually amount to a drip fest. It’s disappointing I know. Just have to live with it. Maybe next winter can deliver the goods.

Better enjoy this event tonight.

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic