Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2019

George BM

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I just don’t understand... it’s not original content, it comes from other websites, right? It’s hardly proprietary content. Does every photo that gets embedded on their site automatically get watermarked? This makes no sense to me.

It’s not their intellectual property so it’s not a legal matter.  But they can ban you since it’s a private forum. But since this is by far my main home and I care not a lick about that...

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
It’s not their intellectual property so it’s not a legal matter.  But they can ban you since it’s a private forum. But since this is by far my main home and I care not a lick about that...

Of course they can ban me, I just don’t get how they’d find out. It would seem to be a lot more effort then it’s worth.

I know you can upload photos to AmericanWx, which I guess might tag them in some way if you were to lift them and post it elsewhere. I’d imagine 33andRain has something similar.

But I have to think you’d have to do a whole bunch of work to possibly figure out it was stolen. I guess if they really have “spies” and an image is posted there and it is quickly played here... but lol.

38 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

GEFS looks very nice for the December 22 threat. Unfortunately I won't be posting maps anymore because the information I get is from 33andrain. Can't be ripping maps from that forum man! 

Here is the reminder, in case anyone hasn't read it yet:

image.thumb.png.95258e7f920d3ad7a6e57a5cd0159963.png

By the way, I DO admit to taking screenshotting content from 33andrain in the past. I am 100% guilty of doing this.

:lol: Lol. Wow! Some people take it too seriously. 

25 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Of course they can ban me, I just don’t get how they’d find out. It would seem to be a lot more effort then it’s worth.

I know you can upload photos to AmericanWx, which I guess might tag them in some way if you were to lift them and post it elsewhere. I’d imagine 33andRain has something similar.

But I have to think you’d have to do a whole bunch of work to possibly figure out it was stolen. I guess if they really have “spies” and an image is posted there and it is quickly played here... but lol.

Seems there is some interesting strat  happenings. Not sure where I found this. 

799A33A0-66D6-46D1-A496-0E58A9BF5910.thumb.jpeg.6857070d368df0fec69c7886a385262b.jpeg

• Haha 3

All of this said, I did some experimenting and found out that yes, copying their link and just simply embedding it could theoretically lead you to getting caught. If they would really take the time to track that down though, that says a lot more about their paranoia than anything else. Tough to be banned without an account and a VPN though.

If you download the image, save it, and reupload it to Imgur, that is a totally different story. 

t55P4uS.png

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

All of this said, I did some experimenting and found out that yes, copying their link and just simply embedding it could theoretically lead you to getting caught. If they would really take the time to track that down though, that says a lot more about their paranoia than anything else. Tough to be banned without an account and a VPN though.

If you download the image, save it, and reupload it to Imgur, that is a totally different story. 

t55P4uS.png

Oh I wasn’t trying not to get caught. Don’t really care if they ban me if that is their reaction towards collaborative sharing of information.  What I love most about this place is the free exchange of information and discourse.  I have no interest in being a part of a group with that attitude. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

lurking through 33andRain and I do see that apparently GEFS+PType for all members is available on WeatherBell? If anyone knows how to find that I would love to know.

Scroll down to products

Click GEFS mean 

Click Params

Click Surface Winter 

Scroll down and you should see it

• Thanks 1

@NorthArlington101 @JakkelWx One last thing wrt 33... posting content that originated on 33andrain “could” be a copyright violation if the creator does not consider it public or fair use.  However I made sure all of the posts I made were content that did not originate on 33. The creator has proprietary rights not 33. If there were any violations they would be equally guilty. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I am mostly shocked and aghast that people go anywhere else for their weather forum zealot needs. AmWx forum for life, mofos.

Howard dropped those weather phone digits in here a few days ago, so I have been calling that pretty regularly to hear his raspy, calming voice. I’m hoping he’ll do something for the holidays like he did for Halloween a decade or so back.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

:lol:  Almost as bad as the one started by Earthlight aka John Homenuk.  Dude literally snuck around here like a weasel poaching members off through PMs.  The kicker? He was a moderator here while doing it. 

For the record I think you have the perfect balance of freedom with basic ground rules and decency standards here. Thanks for that!  You and all the mods. 

• Like 1

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I actually sent them an email asking where it was 20 minutes ago because I was frustrated... they told me to check under multi-parameter. Even they don't know.

Lmao.

And that's where I expected it to be- as that is where it is for the mean. That would make too much sense though. :yikes:

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic