Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2019

George BM

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Every time Ji and Eskimo Joe find each other in the winter to complain it’s like the key master and gatekeeper finding each other in Ghostbusters. 

Now Gozer the Traveler has to come. There’s gonna be a StaPuft marshmallow man striding up 95 between the beltways.

Dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I haven't looked too close but it sure seems like a pretty big I95 bust north of us. 

Since I'm permanently out of the game, I've been lurking in the NYC forum and it's been a calamity. Makes for a great Stressless read when you have no skin in the game but some of those weenies are imploding. You can guess what's going on just by looping the radar. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I haven't looked too close but it sure seems like a pretty big I95 bust north of us. 

Yep Philly to NYC. Had a coating here WSW had me 5-8". I'm reading NYC proper was expecting big totals and got almost zero....cant confirm that I dont follow NYC as much. Funny thing I noticed....years where our first storm is early and/or an overperformer the rest of the season has sucked. When we have had a busted first event the rest of the season is usually decent. Go figure. Sort of like when I'm striped bass fishing from the surf...if I catch on the first cast I usually dont catch the rest of the day and vice versa. Never fails.

2 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Since I'm permanently out of the game, I've been lurking in the NYC forum and it's been a calamity. Makes for a great Stressless read when you have no skin in the game but some of those weenies are imploding. You can guess what's going on just by looping the radar. 

These types of setups are notorious for underperforming. The disjointed surface and upper level low aren't in sync. Not much heavy/banded precip. If the airmass was cold it would have been half decent almost everywhere but fighting marginal rates at 33+ degrees is always a bummer. We do that really well here at times. Lol

Just now, Bob Chill said:

These types of setups are notorious for underperforming. The disjointed surface and upper level low aren't in sync. Not much heavy/banded precip. If the airmass was cold it would have been half decent almost everywhere but fighting marginal rates at 33+ degrees is always a bummer. We do that really well here at times. Lol

I feel bad for those guys. Imagine spending a week tracking a storm only to get half a dusting 

• Haha 2

Ok new pet peeve of mine...I feel like now that a million weenies online know the traditional weather terminology (like AO, NAO, PNA, EPO...) some professionals are starting to use even more obscure  terminology to describe the same thing.  It’s not that I don’t know the terminology (I do from when I was in the meteo program at PSU) but every time someone uses northern annular mode instead of AO I have to sift through posts by people that think they are talking about the NAM model.  And worse then that now insiders are creating overly specific sub categories for already ambiguous nebulous features without any normalization within the field and then arguing over what exactly something is. Last years “what is a modoki” debate and this year there has been a “is it a PDO or EOF2 VM debate. And sometimes they are arguing about the same thing using different terminology. There needs to be some norming of terminology within the field.  This is just adding confusion for no good reason. 

[mention=9895]MillvilleWx[/mention] would get a foot of ice before me. That sucks. All I want is a cat 5 up the potomac and a foot of ice. 2 very simple things and I'm not getting any younger so it better happen soon

I can actually see my lights go out on that run. I can also hear the tree in Midland snapping. #BigYikes

• Haha 3

So, looking at the GEFS, I pray that the signal it is showing doesn't actually come true. Good lord. It's got the look though for a legit ice storm out this way. PV rotating down north of the Lakes with strong surface ridge nosing down the lee of the Apps with the height rises. Add a piece off the Pac to cut underneath. That's an ice storm lovers dream. Dang man

The more I look at it, the more impressed I am. Heck, @Eskimo Joe would approve of this run. Wow. And that look at H5 is CLASSIC for a southern plains Ice storm. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, mappy said:
1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok new pet peeve of mine...I feel like now that a million weenies online know the traditional weather terminology (like AO, NAO, PNA, EPO...) some professionals are starting to use even more obscure  terminology to describe the same thing.  It’s not that I don’t know the terminology (I do from when I was in the meteo program at PSU) but every time someone uses northern annular mode instead of AO I have to sift through posts by people that think they are talking about the NAM model.  And worse then that now insiders are creating overly specific sub categories for already ambiguous nebulous features without any normalization within the field and then arguing over what exactly something is. Last years “what is a modoki” debate and this year there has been a “is it a PDO or EOF2 VM debate. And sometimes they are arguing about the same thing using different terminology. There needs to be some norming of terminology within the field.  This is just adding confusion for no good reason. 

Ava called me her friend on air while sharing my snow observation.

that is all. 

Do the best you can.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic