Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Observations of snow, sleet, freezing rain Sun-Tue Dec 1-2-early 3

wdrag

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Finally got home to see what I got, first at my old house in wantagh there appeared to be a decent amount more snow then both the city and my new place in Lynbrook. Further analyzing the snow there was very little base crusty layer in wantagh which means as I suspected it all fell with the overnight batch with cooler temps. I could see it having been over 2” before melting and compaction yesterday

1.5" here, all from Monday night.  It snowed during the day also but not much and shut down quickly once when it was about starting to glaze over things.  Only 0.15" LE after 9AM Monday, so ratios Monday evening were probably at least 12:1.  Total LE for the entire event was only 0.49" going back to Sunday morning, so if it was a couple of weeks later and a little colder this still would have been a fairly minor event here.

17 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

1.5" here, all from Monday night.  It snowed during the day also but not much and shut down quickly once when it was about starting to glaze over things.  Only 0.15" LE after 9AM Monday, so ratios Monday evening were probably at least 12:1.  Total LE for the entire event was only 0.49" going back to Sunday morning, so if it was a couple of weeks later and a little colder this still would have been a fairly minor event here.

Yeah, I guess the same in wantagh. In the city we lost a ton during the day to melting so that would have been a solid event. The front end would have went to rain on the coast regardless of time of year 

49 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Interesting. Maybe your proximity to the sound affected accumulations. Pretty solid consensus of 2"+ area wide. I had 2.3" on my patio table, which is in the middle of the yard. Consistent with measurements in the area. 

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yeah, I guess the same in wantagh. In the city we lost a ton during the day to melting so that would have been a solid event. The front end would have went to rain on the coast regardless of time of year 

In a colder airmass with more of a high, there would have been more precip due to more overrunning (although it would have fought dry air). A setup like this where a deep upper air low drives southerly flow in would have changed us over, but it would've been 4-6" first rather than what we had, maybe even more-I believe the 2/3/14 event was driven by a deep upper low with strong southerly flow like this and much of NYC/LI had 10" (although in Long Beach I just had a few inches then rain-infuriating). Also as feared we spent most of the storm in the dry slot, and the redevelopment happened in a lousy spot for us. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 12:07 PM, psv88 said:

Interesting. Maybe your proximity to the sound affected accumulations. Pretty solid consensus of 2"+ area wide. I had 2.3" on my patio table, which is in the middle of the yard. Consistent with measurements in the area. 

That definitely happens very early in the season (i.e., usually before Thanksgiving) but I don't think so this time.  We were snowing at times when other parts of the island that picked up more snow were raining.  It would snow, then it would stop for hours.  Overnight Sunday was the only rain (most of the qpf that we got).  Most of the time during this "long duration" storm, it wasn't doing anything.  We just were unlucky with the quantity of LE.

For comparison, our storm total LE was 0.49", ISP was 0.84" and Syosset was 0.93" .  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

That definitely happens very early in the season (i.e., usually before Thanksgiving) but I don't think so this time.  We were snowing at times when other parts of the island that picked up more snow were raining.  It would snow, then it would stop for hours.  Overnight Sunday was the only rain (most of the qpf that we got).  Most of the time during this "long duration" storm, it wasn't doing anything.  We just were unlucky with the quantity of LE.

For comparison, our storm total LE was 0.49", ISP was 0.84" and Syosset was 0.93" .  

LE here was 0.74" on Sunday and 0.50" Monday into tues.... 1.24" total.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 5:40 PM, jm1220 said:

In a colder airmass with more of a high, there would have been more precip due to more overrunning (although it would have fought dry air). A setup like this where a deep upper air low drives southerly flow in would have changed us over, but it would've been 4-6" first rather than what we had, maybe even more-I believe the 2/3/14 event was driven by a deep upper low with strong southerly flow like this and much of NYC/LI had 10" (although in Long Beach I just had a few inches then rain-infuriating). Also as feared we spent most of the storm in the dry slot, and the redevelopment happened in a lousy spot for us. 

yeah thats why I preferred 14-15 over 13-14

On 12/4/2019 at 7:25 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Finally got home to see what I got, first at my old house in wantagh there appeared to be a decent amount more snow then both the city and my new place in Lynbrook. Further analyzing the snow there was very little base crusty layer in wantagh which means as I suspected it all fell with the overnight batch with cooler temps. I could see it having been over 2” before melting and compaction yesterday

did you sell the Wantagh house to relatives or friends?  I did the same thing with a house I had in Oyster Bay and visit my old haunts often lol.  They get MUCH more snow and it aggravates me to no end :P