Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Observations of snow, sleet, freezing rain Sun-Tue Dec 1-2-early 3

wdrag

17 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

4 days out not that good obviously but I tried 

F7D4AF90-FE47-4D00-A78D-2B96FD4CCF1C.jpeg

186CA065-BD0A-4474-8D73-3520B276139B.jpeg

There are patterns and evolutions that you see and know how they will play out 90-95% of the time. As soon as models stuck on the bowling ball upper low moving south of us, and along with the lousy airmass it was clear that I-90 would get clobbered. I had 12-18” along the worst of it axis, which seems OK but should have been 12-24”. The worst ended up a little north of where I had it (seems like the heaviest amounts were along the NH/MA border) but for days it was clear it wouldn’t be our storm without major changes. The “table scraps” part last night was okay but not one of our pull out a miracle setups like Xmas 2002. It of course worked out in the end for Boston too but they won’t end up with the foot I thought they would. 6-9” looks like the total there. Clearly the short range models yesterday were horrible and way overdid the snow down here at times. I-78 and south clearly had very little but were under warnings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There are patterns and evolutions that you see and know how they will play out 90-95% of the time. As soon as models stuck on the bowling ball upper low moving south of us, and along with the lousy airmass it was clear that I-90 would get clobbered. I had 12-18” along the worst of it axis, which seems OK but should have been 12-24”. The worst ended up a little north of where I had it (seems like the heaviest amounts were along the NH/MA border) but for days it was clear it wouldn’t be our storm without major changes. The “table scraps” part last night was okay but not one of our pull out a miracle setups like Xmas 2002. It of course worked out in the end for Boston too but they won’t end up with the foot I thought they would. 6-9” looks like the total there. Clearly the short range models yesterday were horrible and way overdid the snow down here at times. 

It was pretty clear for a while that the axis of heaviest snow was going to be from Catskills to Albany area to western New England. Along and north of 84 did well too, but NYC metro was always going to be a crap shoot. 

4 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

I think Bridgeport beat Fairfield for the first time with 2.0 on both sides of the storm.

2 overnight and .5 for the first part for 2.5 in Easton.

Was your 1.5 just for last night or entire storm.

Last night only.  Sunday dropped about an inch.    Yeah usually BDR measures low.   Surprised to see a 2 spot there.

27 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

It was pretty clear for a while that the axis of heaviest snow was going to be from Catskills to Albany area to western New England. Along and north of 84 did well too, but NYC metro was always going to be a crap shoot. 

well eastern New England, like around Boston, must be having near blizzard conditions right now.

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

They always hate on Queens lol.

Do you know when they calculated the NESIS value of the Jan 2016 blizzard they ignored JFK's 31" total from that storm even though that total was confirmed on re-analysis?  That storm would have pulled ahead of March 1960's NESIS value had JFK's measurement been taken into account.

I missed that storm (lived in TX at the time-still a really sore topic with me lol) but the pics from Long Beach and areas from then make me think at least 2 feet fell and maybe close to 30”. I’ve never seen snow that deep there maybe ever. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

So in conclusion, we were JBed. Whenever he starts talking historic I-95 storms, we get screwed.

The pattern and evolution were very obvious. This was never going to be a NYC snowstorm barring a miracle from the developing upper low like Xmas 2002. The initial S flow ruined the mid levels, the coastal low developed very close to us and drove in mild surface air, the initial airmass sucked, and we had to rely on what we could get from the low pulling away. We had a burst of snow from it but nuisance amounts. That too blew up for SNE and especially coastal Mass. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I missed that storm (lived in TX at the time-still a really sore topic with me lol) but the pics from Long Beach and areas from then make me think at least 2 feet fell and maybe close to 30”. I’ve never seen snow that deep there maybe ever. 

I have 64 GB of photos and videos to prove it, it was an amazing 36 hour all out blizzard that even outlasted the predictions.  The snow just kept falling.

First time I've experienced a 3" LE all snow event.

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The pattern and evolution were very obvious. This was never going to be a NYC snowstorm barring a miracle from the developing upper low like Xmas 2002. The initial S flow ruined the mid levels, the coastal low developed very close to us and drove in mild surface air, the initial airmass sucked, and we had to rely on what we could get from the low pulling away. We had a burst of snow from it but nuisance amounts. That too blew up for SNE and especially coastal Mass. 

We got as much as we could out of it.  I'm glad it lingered all night and even into the morning.  That's a lot better than most storms which only give us a few snow showers on the backside.

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I think that might have been an early season thing, I saw that there were areas of rain on the north shore early in the evening (like around 8 PM) while it was snowing to beat the band down here.

I wrote a post about the timing of the change to snow, tell me if you think this is fairly accurate- where does the UWS fit in here?:

9 AM Staten Island. 10 AM North Shore (Huntington/Oyster Bay) 11 AM Central Park 12 PM Brooklyn 1 PM Queens 1:30-2:30 PM Western Long Island

I was snowing at 8am. I’m also 3 miles Nw of the park at 200’. I can clearly see NJ from campus across the Hudson so it’s a nice spot for snow nyc wise 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankdp23 said:

I'm not that far from you, and I got 3.75.  I feel like the final snow total map is off slightly in our area.

Very elevation driven.  At my house it looks like the aftermath of a major snow event.  Just down the hill almost nothing.  I'm guessing you are at some elevation over 300'? 

If the 1.6 total holds, and I did see the same on the 5PM update, 1.3 on the second and 0.3 on the third, Central Park now needs only 16.1 inches of snow between now and December 31, 2020 to get the 30 year average to 30.0 inches per season when they are calculated again in Jan 2021.

This would be much more in line with the 150 year average of 28.9, and a nice recovery from the all time low 22.3 average from 1971-2000.

Will they nickel and dime their way there, or do it in one nice big event ? Or God forbid do they fall short?

• Like 1

~2.5 here in southern Jersey City. Not official. 

Snow had no problems sticking during the heavier rates. Streets were a mess for the most part during the afternoon. 

Most of my accumulation happened during the afternoon where about 2" fell. Rest fell overnight as some moderate bands pivoted through.

Overall, not a bad storm(IMO) Snowed for maybe 14 hours straight. I'll take that over prtly sunny ANY day. Congrats to those who cashed in

• Like 1

Finally got home to see what I got, first at my old house in wantagh there appeared to be a decent amount more snow then both the city and my new place in Lynbrook. Further analyzing the snow there was very little base crusty layer in wantagh which means as I suspected it all fell with the overnight batch with cooler temps. I could see it having been over 2” before melting and compaction yesterday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Finally got home to see what I got, first at my old house in wantagh there appeared to be a decent amount more snow then both the city and my new place in Lynbrook. Further analyzing the snow there was very little base crusty layer in wantagh which means as I suspected it all fell with the overnight batch with cooler temps. I could see it having been over 2” before melting and compaction yesterday

I saw pics from Long Beach in the early morning and it looked like an inch or so. There were good radar echos in southern Nassau Mon night so I would think some people there had 2-3”. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I saw pics from Long Beach in the early morning and it looked like an inch or so. There were good radar echos in southern Nassau Mon night so I would think some people there had 2-3”. 

Yeah I would say it was over two at my parents place. They are right near the bay. Rare south shore jackpot 

• Like 1