Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Observations of snow, sleet, freezing rain Sun-Tue Dec 1-2-early 3

wdrag

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Still just light snow on the uws dropped another coating. Looks like Nassau has done well the last two hours 

its been snowing here in SW Nassau steadily since 8 PM last night!

started at 2:30 PM snowed hard for an hour and then it was on and off until 8 PM since when it's been going pretty good, parking lots, driiveways and trees are caked, roads are clear though except for the edges

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

this is recycled cold air, not true arctic air.  Even Albany was in the low 30s throughout and they had 40 hours of snow!

why are our longest highest precip storms mixed precip and not all snow?

It started at 7F on early Sunday morning. Rose to about 22F by late evening at the end of round one/warm advection. Then slowly kept risging to 28 here (but I'm at 1k feet) then started dropping around dark and now 22.....   Ended 2ish AM.  25" final total.  

Around here it pretty much equals the 11/25/1971 (Thanksgiving storm) for the earliest 2ft plus. But that's still got to be considered more impressive being a week earlier. 

• Like 2

Just now, Logan11 said:

It started at 7F on early Sunday morning. Rose to about 22F by late evening at the end of round one/warm advection. Then slowly kept risging to 28 here (but I'm at 1k feet) then started dropped around dark and now 22.....   Ended 2ish AM.  25" final total.  

Around here it pretty much equals the 11/25/1971 (Thanksgiving storm) for the earliest 2ft plus. But that's still got to be considered more impressive being a week earlier. 

Good for you, glad to see you around again, hope all is well. 

4 minutes ago, Logan11 said:

It started at 7F on early Sunday morning. Rose to about 22F by late evening at the end of round one/warm advection. Then slowly kept risging to 28 here (but I'm at 1k feet) then started dropping around dark and now 22.....   Ended 2ish AM.  25" final total.  

this storm is being compared to the late Dec 2002 storm up there, were the temps around the same in that one?

Just now, LibertyBell said:

this storm is being compared to the late Dec 2002 storm up there, were the temps around the same in that one?

That storm started more marginal at the start.  I had some brief fzra in the mid Hudson where I was then before flipping quickly to +SN.  But I'm gonna guess it tapped some pretty good air and phased because by late in the storm it was 20 or less. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Logan11 said:

it must've been rather windy in that 71 storm- 71 was quoted as the last time that the Thanksgiving parade balloon-fest was canceled in NYC!

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

it must've been rather windy in that 71 storm- 71 was quoted as the last time that the Thanksgiving parade balloon-fest was canceled in NYC!

I remember it even though I was 5. Remember 'helping' my Dad clean the driveway and we had to abort our T-day at my grandmother's in Kingston as roads impassable. The city might have got wind, but any snow must have flipped to rain. We were marginal and supposed to  turn over, but never did. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Logan11 said:

I remember it even though I was 5. Remember 'helping' my Dad clean the driveway and we had to abort our T-day at my grandmother's in Kingston as roads impassable. The city might have got wind, but any snow must have flipped to rain. We were marginal and supposed to  turn over, but never did. 

haha you remember that storm like I remember the Thanksgiving 1989 storm down here.  I had to get up early to help my dad clean the driveway and I remember hearing him mutter under his breath words I had never heard before!

ps surprise storms are the best!  they are certainly remembered the best lol.

1 hour ago, Logan11 said:

Right on. Great storm for you.