Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Observations of snow, sleet, freezing rain Sun-Tue Dec 1-2-early 3

wdrag

32 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

1 inch here on colder surfaces like car tops. Pavement just has a slushy dusting. We've had heavy snowfall rates and 33 degrees the last few hours. I'm surprised it's having so much trouble accumulating. You wouldn't think sun angle would be a big deal this time of year. 33 is obviously only 1 degree above freezing, so you'd think heavy snow would accumulate easily. But somehow the sun angle seems to be hurting us. Unless it's more because pavement was wet and warm. Too bad this heavy snow band didn't hit us at night when it would accumulate easily. Hopefully there will be plenty left for tonight, but I'm concerned about the snow band shifting north and east for tonight.

if the sun angle is an issue 20 days from the Winter Solstice, when is the sun angle NOT a factor?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

if the sun angle is an issue 20 days from the Winter Solstice, when is the sun angle NOT a factor?

But that combined with the residual Fall heat in the ground, especially in a place like Manhattan. Well I had that situation here earlier n November, but we went into this event solidly frozen.

1 hour ago, jasperk99 said:

Moderate White Rain in Lower Manhattan,  Looks pretty looking at the flakes but nothing sticking to anything down here.

Its been heavy snow for a while now in Lower Manhattan and it will just not stick. May be the heaviest non sticking snow ive seen. It looks enough to overcome slightly above freezing temps but nope.  I can see its about the same story at home.

4 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Do you realize that there's absolutely nothing to indicate that's true outside certain models? 

Not saying it's impossible, but you're acting like it's guaranteed because a computer says so. 

Check out the radar and get back to me. There are always people who quit during a storm. It's so stupid.

Let the system play out.  Sun is going down and the snow will start sticking better.  Long ways to go for this one.

3 minutes ago, dWave said:

Its been heavy snow for a while now in Lower Manhattan and it will just not stick. May be the heaviest non sticking snow ive seen. It looks enough to overcome slightly above freezing temps.  I can see its the same story at home.

Just in the past 30 min or so it is starting to stick a bit on the roads; they have gotten slushy.  the dirt medians are also covering up now.

9 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

LOL sun angle

10 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

LOL sun angle

I don't see what's so funny. There's a reason why it hasn't been accumulating on pavement here despite 1 to 2 inch per hour snowfall rates and 33 degrees. If we had this at night we'd have a couple inches on the pavement right now.

Just now, winterwx21 said:

I don't see what's so funny. There's a reason why it hasn't been accumulating on pavement here despite 1 to 2 inch per hour snowfall rates and 33 degrees. If we had this at night we'd have a couple inches on the pavement right now.

Worrying about the sun angle on Dec 2 is plain dumb. The surface temps is the problem now. 

Just now, winterwx21 said:

It's probably the snow growth. It's not exactly impressive area-wide. Some people are getting huge snowflakes. Others are not.