Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Observations of snow, sleet, freezing rain Sun-Tue Dec 1-2-early 3

wdrag

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Models were underdone on the snow up here, solid coating and right around freezing. Sleet pounding on the windows right now

The Nam forecast soundings I looked at last night and this morning were all over this.  Showed a warm nose this morning with the mid levels cooling to an isothermal sounding for a couple of hours resulting a a turn to snow right around when it did and mixing back before 3pm (right on schedule there's more sleet than snow here now).

I was actually having my doubts about a flip to snow after 12 noon, but the model had it right.

Back down to 32 here with a sleet/snow mix.  Everything is covered, including the street.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Thanks Walt.  I figured intuitively that when the ground gets wet it matches the wet bulb temp so that should be the highest temp freezing rain can fall, wet bulb=32!

Also, when it's falling really hard, rain may not freeze even when the temp is below 32! (by a couple degrees).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

The Nam forecast soundings I looked at last night and this morning were all over this.  Showed a warm nose this morning with the mid levels cooling to an isothermal sounding for a couple of hours resulting a a turn to snow right around when it did and mixing back before 3pm (right on schedule there's more sleet than snow here now).

I was actually having my doubts about a flip to snow after 12 noon, but the model had it right.

Back down to 32 here with a sleet/snow mix.  Everything is covered, including the street.

we thought the NAM might have this ;-) hope it's right about tomorrow too!

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Nice surprise for us. Still sleet and snow here and 33.0. 

• Like 1

Just now, EasternLI said:

Sleet and a very cold rain mix going on over here. On a side note, it hurts very much when sleet hits you in the eye. 

I think it's just rain here now but not going to use my ass to test it lol.  Could still be freezing rain, but whatever is falling is not making any noise.