Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Observations of snow, sleet, freezing rain Sun-Tue Dec 1-2-early 3

wdrag

4 minutes ago, HailMan06 said:

32F

The air temp could he a couple degrees warmer but the surface must be below freezing.

Thanks that must be it- it was below freezing for several hours last night.

I thought it had something to do with the dew point lol, that the surface cools down to the dew point when precip is falling!

Maybe it cools down to the wet bulb temp instead?

Hi everyone,  Wantage 8 s High Point NJ had to  be offline for 4 hours.  Here's what has transpired in Wantage NJ 4sw. ZRW-- 806AM-810AM, ZL- around930AM-10AM, then ZR- around 10A-1030A with freezing on windshield edges and blades despite heaters  Then. 0.4" snow sleet accumulation as of 150PM with 1 hour of all snow 1230-130PM. Now all sleet. 22.8F will check glaze later but we definitely have glaze here. No wind speed due to glaze but its blowing a bit.  Thanks for participating and all the mPINGS.  Helpful!  Think the operational HRRR had a nice call hours in advance on the precip change to snow for a time here in ne PA/nw NJ. 

Going to be a LONG event with so many interesting aspects. Cheers!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

How do we get freezing rain at 33?  And what's the highest temp you can have freezing rain at?  

My answer: WET bulb aob 32F, and/or ground frozen. The latter I dont know the answer but if the ground is frozen and its night...suspect glaze on frozen pavement, even above 32F air temp, but not likely on wires/branches.

• Like 2