Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

16 minutes ago, matt9503 said:

Fair enough...but you agree that we’re royally screwed financially?

It's definitely a serious pickle.  Our monetary and fiscal policy looks too similar to the setup which led to the Japanese Lost Decade, our demographics and economic style both point to low growth.  I complained last year to anyone who'd listen that it was abnormal and unhealthy for stock prices to climb like 25% without comparable earnings growth.  I think people have forgotten what the stock market actually is, to be honest.  At least, the retail investors all have.  Or, they never understood it anyway.

7 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Today is a very sad day for me, my cat, my buddy Rusty, passed away a couple of hours ago, he lived a great life, he turned 21 back in January. I already miss him terribly. It’s a shame cats and dogs don’t live longer lives.....

Sorry to hear that...Wow 21 years is quite the age for a cat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Today is a very sad day for me, my cat, my buddy Rusty, passed away a couple of hours ago, he lived a great life, he turned 21 back in January. I already miss him terribly. It’s a shame cats and dogs don’t live longer lives.....

Sorry to hear. Ours are almost 17 and 16 and we just lost our dog in January. Its tough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

Sorry to hear. Ours are almost 17 and 16 and we just lost our dog in January. Its tough.

Thank you. He lived a very long time, we got him as a kitten in January, 1999. He was in really great health until October, then I noticed him starting to fail slowly, not wanting to play with the dog anymore, sleeping all day, bad appetite. The vet said he wasn’t in any pain or suffering so I let him go on his own. He passed in his sleep. A truly amazing friend to me, my family and my dog, 21 years was too short

• Like 1

23 hours ago, snowman19 said:

My cat passed in November. He was my best friend. Slept next to me every night. It's been tough. Sorry for your loss. Pets are family.

• Sad 3

Ticks are the worst, but people love deer, which are their adult vector, so they flourish. 

I'd read that ticks will succumb to a very cold and dry climate, which unfortunately leaves out this winter. So avoid greenery and tall grass this year.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:52 PM, winterwx21 said:

Of course it also depends on the individual. Brisk walking doesn't do a thing for me. Since I have an elite athlete heart with a resting heart rate in the 30s, I have to exercise at an intense level to get my heart rate up. Brisk walking doesn't even get my heart rate up to 70, because my heart is so strong. It wouldn't be any kind of cardio exercise for me. But for people with weaker hearts, brisk walking can be a good exercise. But I need to exercise at an intense level. My cardiologist is a big believer in a lot of intense exercise and long duration exercise. He thinks I should become a marathon runner because my heart and lungs are off the charts strong, but I don't have any interest in running that long. I think running 6 or 7 miles is plenty.

Anyway I'm very happy that you were able to survive the cancer. Obviously we have some strong disagreements, but I can see you're a very nice guy and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the kind words. Some people have a naturally slow heart rate. I'm betting you are a pretty calm individual. i have a friend like that, all his life his heart rate has been like yours; doctors were always amazed by it, thought for sure he exercised. Nope. He smoked a lot of pot though. Don't know if that helps. But he is very calm. Doesn't fly off the handle easily. I wouldn't run any marathons right now if I were you,though, not with all this going on. Probably a number of them will be canceled. I do miss my running days, but I do love my daily walks. Stop and smell the roses. I Get lots of wildlife shots in the woods while hiking too.

3 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Ticks are the worst, but people love deer, which are their adult vector, so they flourish. 

I'd read that ticks will succumb to a very cold and dry climate, which unfortunately leaves out this winter. So avoid greenery and tall grass this year.

We have a tick borne disease researcher right here, Justin, who found that ticks do worse in winters like this if I read him correctly.

On 3/8/2020 at 10:04 PM, Will - Rutgers said:

just give me the ****in virus and let's get it over with

if i make it out of 2020 alive and employed, everything else is gravy.  i give my chances of each about 50/50

I think you have a better chance than that, depending on your age.....

18 minutes ago, etudiant said:

13 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

We have a tick borne disease researcher right here, Justin, who found that ticks do worse in winters like this if I read him correctly.

You are both correct. The blacklegged tick (deer tick) loves our more typical climate. The likes of which New Hampshire area saw this year. They like it cold but not overly cold with at least an inch of snowpack for a good chunk of winter. That allows them to remain in diapause and really slow their metabolism down. Flip side if you get REALLY cold with no snow cover (think negatives in Fahrenheit) and dry, they can also die off. Problem is you usually have a snow pack when the really cold air comes. It is one reason we might see the distribution we see them in. Years like this will definitely lead to lower numbers, but always remember the tick that gave you Lyme disease is the tick you did not find!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

You are both correct. The blacklegged tick (deer tick) loves our more typical climate. The likes of which New Hampshire area saw this year. They like it cold but not overly cold with at least an inch of snowpack for a good chunk of winter. That allows them to remain in diapause and really slow their metabolism down. Flip side if you get REALLY cold with no snow cover (think negatives in Fahrenheit) and dry, they can also die off. Problem is you usually have a snow pack when the really cold air comes. It is one reason we might see the distribution we see them in. Years like this will definitely lead to lower numbers, but always remember the tick that gave you Lyme disease is the tick you did not find!

Do you get Lyme disease from one specific tick and is Lyme disease really an std?

1 hour ago, SnowFeen1 said:

Do you get Lyme disease from one specific tick and is Lyme disease really an std?

In this area it is primarily the blacklegged tick. Dog ticks do not transmit Lyme. There has been one study that seemed to indicate Lyme spirochetes know sexual fluid, but that isn’t the primary mode of infection. 

On 3/9/2020 at 4:56 PM, Juliancolton said:

Jeez, this is bonkers (photo by Dave Rocco on facebook)

brush-fires.jpg

On 3/10/2020 at 8:00 AM, hudsonvalley21 said:

Wonder if that fire was caused by a “hotbox” (rail car issue along the train tracks) the top photo shows a long line of small fires along the train tracks in the fires early stages.

Looks like the MTA now admits that a work train locomotive was indeed the culprit, reminds me of 5 years ago already:

https://www.recordonline.com/article/20150427/NEWS/150429413

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Looks like the MTA now admits that a work train locomotive was indeed the culprit, reminds me of 5 years ago already:

https://www.recordonline.com/article/20150427/NEWS/150429413

Looking forward to apologies from everyone who rushed to blame "careless city people"...

I have no idea if there's any way to prevent a train from doing that or even recognize that it's happening in real-time. It stinks though. Some of my favorite trails will probably be closed for a good long while.

32 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I have no idea if there's any way to prevent a train from doing that or even recognize that it's happening in real-time. It stinks though. Some of my favorite trails will probably be closed for a good long while.

Well its much better now than back in the days of steam locomotives and journal bearing trucks which is where the old "hot box" term comes from but diesels and roller bearings can still cause problems when they malfunction and/or break.  I know that when the rail grinder train comes through it has a water tank car with it and they spray water down as it passes to prevent brush fires.  That said, I have no idea what work train was operating there on Monday, not that it matters at this point sadly.