Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

5 hours ago, doncat said:

The only good thing so far for me is that Dec, at least the first three weeks was ok with some snow and cold....got to enjoy the winter feel leading up to Christmas.

That and my heating bill has been incredibly low. Didnt owe any money on my balanced billing for January...and i still have an account credit. Partly due to new boiler, and partly due to the warmth.

• Like 1

So I was wondering, I usually do not see plants and flowers sprouting this early usually mid march i think is normal. I also think that puts the kibosh on any upcoming winter weather. It's like the death knell. Another good expression for this winter. You guys agree? Or is there still hope??

8 hours ago, Jacob brooklyn said:

So I was wondering, I usually do not see plants and flowers sprouting this early usually mid march i think is normal. I also think that puts the kibosh on any upcoming winter weather. It's like the death knell. Another good expression for this winter. You guys agree? Or is there still hope??

Perennials will often start sprouting in Feb; they emerge slowly in the cold and can take a few snowstorms. If Feb is snowless and mild, you will see them emerge. They'l slow down if it gets colder. What's more unusual is the flies and mosquitos.

8 hours ago, Jacob brooklyn said:

From a horticulture perspective you do not want winter to return now. I have tons of perennials coming up on my campus. Add another week of warm weather next week and we will reach a point where the return of cold weather would damage this years bud sets. Let’s say we pulled off a late feb early March cold shot. 20s wouldn’t cause much damage but anything below 15 would be damaging 

from the start I thought December and March would see the most snow this winter...I did not think there would be hardly nothing in January and February or being this mild...with the ao skyrocketing upward chances for significant snow are low...Hopefully March has some snow in it to make this winter a smidge better than horrible...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

daffodils are pushing through the ground here.   No ice on any lakes, even the parking lot piles from the 1/18 event are going fast....just no sign of winter at all...

If it weren't for that nice December event, I would only have a few inches...

so far this winters coldest consecutive 30 days is near 38.0...

1997-98 holds the record with 37.3 for the coldest consecutive 30 day period...

year...30 day ave temp...

2019-20.....38.0

1997-98.....37.3

2011-12.....37.0

1948-49.....36.3

1931-32.....35.8

2007-08.....35.7

1889-90.....35.6

1952-53.....35.5

2001-02.....35.4

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

based on what?  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.   There's currently nothing that supports a "snowy" March

Last few years we've had record warm Jan/Feb months but cold Nov & March. This is a repeating pattern. 

I'm on the cold/snowy March train. You'll start seeing it on the models by Feb 15-20 as wavelengths change due to seasonal effects.  

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Last few years we've had record warm Jan/Feb months but cold Nov & March. This is a repeating pattern. 

I'm on the cold/snowy March train. You'll start seeing it on the models by Feb 15-20 as wavelengths change due to seasonal effects.  

Possible, however there's a lot less cold this year.   This has been an incredible torch

• Like 1