• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

One reason why not to give up on ‘winter’, from a non-expert to the non-experts.  Allow me to pompously and condescendingly use a sports analogy lol.

The Baltimore Orioles were horrific last year, correctly forecast by the experts. Multiple times though the Orioles had lopsided victories due to a unique confluence of events on a given random day even though the forecast for a lousy season was right on.

Likewise, although we’ve seen winters turn on a dime in a generally unexpected way, that may not turn out to be the case tbis year.  It may end the same way it’s been going - lousy for snow lovers.  But there’s always a chance that a big snowstorm will pop up out of nowhere - looking like not this weekend, but maybe in 3 weeks or a month.  So keep expectations low but don’t give up hope, and let’s see how things work out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

One reason why not to give up on ‘winter’, from a non-expert to the non-experts.  Allow me to pompously and condescendingly use a sports analogy lol.

The Baltimore Orioles were horrific last year, correctly forecast by the experts. Multiple times though the Orioles had lopsided victories due to a unique confluence of events on a given random day even though the forecast for a lousy season was right on.

Likewise, although we’ve seen winters turn on a dime in a generally unexpected way, that may not turn out to be the case tbis year.  It may end the same way it’s been going - lousy for snow lovers.  But there’s always a chance that a big snowstorm will pop up out of nowhere - looking like not this weekend, but maybe in 3 weeks or a month.  So keep expectations low but don’t give up hope, and let’s see how things work out.

Using the same logic, they finished the season well below average for runs and hits for the league even with a few spurts. Same thing for this winter, will likely end up below average based on statistics. another negative is baseball is 162 games long whereas our snow season is less than 90 days. 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Wasn't much of a winter until March of 1888 either.

I know people tend to look at the pictures the day before the blizzard when it was unseasonably mild and assume they were coming out of a mild winter, but the winter as a whole in 1887/88, temperature wise was brutal by our current standards, and snowfall was about average until March.

By month, December 1887 averaged 33.4° with 9.0 inches of snow, January averaged 23.2° (about 16° below what our current January will be) with 11.0 inches of snow. February was somewhat of the head fake month for them, only 3.0 inches of snow but still an average temp of 29.2° for the month.

March 1888 averaged 29.9° which is the only March in 150 years to average below 30° in NYC.

And then there was the Blizzard, officially measured as 21.0 inches in Manhattan yet surrounding areas like Brooklyn measured 36 inches, New Haven 45 and Albany 48 inches. Uncle W has some great photos of Manhattan after the storm. When you look at those photos and when you consider there was no snow cover the day before, there is now way that was 21 inches in Manhattan. It was 30 minimum and probably closer to the 36 measured in Brooklyn. The tradition of under measuring the large storms in NYC began back then IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While this doesn’t diminish in any way the recent era snowfall extremes, many of those older storms were undermeasured by modern standards.

https://news.ucar.edu/14009/snowfall-measurement-flaky-history

Earlier in our weather history, the standard practice was to record snowfall amounts less frequently, such as every 12 or 24 hours, or even to take just one measurement of depth on the ground at the end of the storm.

You might think that one or two measurements per day should add up to pretty much the same as measurements taken every 6 hours during the storm. It’s a logical assumption, but you would be mistaken. Snow on the ground gets compacted as additional snow falls. Therefore, multiple measurements during a storm typically result in a higher total than if snowfall is derived from just one or two measurements per day.

That can make quite a significant difference. It turns out that it’s not uncommon for the snow on the ground at the end of a storm to be 15 to 20 percent less than the total that would be derived from multiple snowboard measurements.  As the cooperative climate observer for Boulder, Colorado, I examined the 15 biggest snowfalls of the last two decades, all measured at the NOAA campus in Boulder. The sum of the snowboard measurements averaged 17 percent greater than the maximum depth on the ground at the end of the storm. For a 20-inch snowfall, that would be a boost of 3.4 inches—enough to dethrone many close rivals on the top-10 snowstorm list that were not necessarily lesser storms!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, doncat said:

We also have to break out of this dry pattern we've  gotten into this month...which looks to continue thru the first week of February.

The thing that amazes me is the lack of cold highs.  January should "always" have some days where highs lock in the 20's, especially in NW Jersey.  It's like the opposite of summer where we don't have crazy highs but warm lows.

40 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

The thing that amazes me is the lack of cold highs.  January should "always" have some days where highs lock in the 20's, especially in NW Jersey.  It's like the opposite of summer where we don't have crazy highs but warm lows.

we had i think one in december and one earlier this month i think highs were in the 20;s.

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

we had i think one in december and one earlier this month i think highs were in the 20;s.

I don't have the stats for my area in particular, but that is still BN.  Late December '17 into January '18 had a decent stretch of cold, and as bad as last year was, January featured more arctic air.

Next week we welcome February with the potential to see 50 or higher for several days.

2 hours ago, nycwinter said:

i remember as a kid we would have at least 5 days under 10 degrees in either december or january for lows now we have gone many winters recently where not even one time did we have a low of 10 degrees ...

Don't know what station you're using, but low temps last 6 winters here on SI .... 2, 0, -1, 11, 2, 1 .

• Like 2

Going into a thread titled “mid to long range” and complaining about long range discussion is kinda like walking into a strip club and complaining about seeing naked people.

if you dont want to discuss long range threats...DONT GO IN THAT THREAD. 

Its unbelievable that this has to be explained to grown ass adults. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Going into a thread titled “mid to long range” and complaining about long range discussion is kinda like walking into a strip club and complaining about seeing naked people.

if you dont want to discuss long range threats...DONT GO IN THAT THREAD. 

Its unbelievable that this has to be explained to grown ass adults. 

Only to be topped by people who say that they give up on winter...and have to remind everyone with multiple posts on how they gave up. Ok, we get it, thanks, now go haunt some other board. My word. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Steven dimartino posted on twitter how he is getting  threats because this winter has been awful.

He isnt the only one who is getting bashed for their winte forecast.  Plenty of meteorologists  are also getting the same thing.

Wtf is wrong with people

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me but I don't condone death threats. People just need to tune out many of the long-range meteorologists that claim every winter will be cold and snowy. It sold for many years and since 2000 was almost always more right than wrong (at least for the snowy part). But I'm tired of people giving JB credibility. Go look at his commentary. It is ALWAYS about why it will be cold. It is his political statement, which is not backed up my science. Even the snowy places this year are now 'cold' it's just their climatology allows for snow this time of year even when warmer than average. An excellent scientist, whether they are a researcher, meteorologist, or even a medical doctor, does not allow 'beliefs' to enter into their thoughts. They look at data and present the data. Now we can debate how many people actually do that, but that is for a different thread. This season is frustrating, but there have been more than a few meteorologists that have called for a lackluster winter, so I think we should go out and appreciate that. 

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

Steven dimartino posted on twitter how he is getting  threats because this winter has been awful.

He isnt the only one who is getting bashed for their winte forecast.  Plenty of meteorologists  are also getting the same thing.

Wtf is wrong with people

Why would anyone waste time on Steve DeMartino? Did he give up his day job in retail?

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me but I don't condone death threats. People just need to tune out many of the long-range meteorologists that claim every winter will be cold and snowy. It sold for many years and since 2000 was almost always more right than wrong (at least for the snowy part). But I'm tired of people giving JB credibility. Go look at his commentary. It is ALWAYS about why it will be cold. It is his political statement, which is not backed up my science. Even the snowy places this year are now 'cold' it's just their climatology allows for snow this time of year even when warmer than average. An excellent scientist, whether they are a researcher, meteorologist, or even a medical doctor, does not allow 'beliefs' to enter into their thoughts. They look at data and present the data. Now we can debate how many people actually do that, but that is for a different thread. This season is frustrating, but there have been more than a few meteorologists that have called for a lackluster winter, so I think we should go out and appreciate that. 

truly cold winters have been few and far between over the last 20 years ( 03-04, 2nd half of '07, 13-14, 14,15 to name a few cold ones) even 09-10 was not all that cold.    We lucked out with a bunch of warm/snowy winters, which has in the last 3 years gone to generally warm/wet so folks are now freaking out.   Twitter was the worst thing that could happen to weather since it gave the yearly cold/snowy outlook crew a place to spout their snake oil.     No one pays attention to a forecast that shows above normal temps and well below normal snow.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

truly cold winters have been few and far between over the last 20 years ( 03-04, 2nd half of '07, 13-14, 14,15 to name a few cold ones) even 09-10 was not all that cold.    We lucked out with a bunch of warm/snowy winters, which has in the last 3 years gone to generally warm/wet so folks are now freaking out.   Twitter was the worst thing that could happen to weather since it gave the yearly cold/snowy outlook crew a place to spout their snake oil.     No one pays attention to a forecast that shows above normal temps and well below normal snow.....

Yeah I’ve made that argument before about warm and snowy. It seems that as long as there is snow the ACATT crew is happy which puzzles me. Snow cover is an important metric many glance over. Especially ecologically speaking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Wtf is wrong with people

Some weenies have reached their breaking point.