Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

1 hour ago, rclab said:

I.B. If that happened in the metro area, how long do you think it would take for us to finally see our cars and front doors? As always ......

They ended up with 27 inches, at least that's what their daily total was yesterday I'm not sure what the storm total was.

The big thing there was the winds which were 50-70 in areas Drifts are over 10 feet. Also I don't know what they already had OTG before this storm started.

Newfoundland is definitely a snow lover and Nor'easter lovers paradise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

They ended up with 27 inches, at least that's what their daily total was yesterday I'm not sure what the storm total was.

The big thing there was the winds which were 50-70 in areas Drifts are over 10 feet. Also I don't know what they already had OTG before this storm started.

Newfoundland is definitely a snow lover and Nor'easter lovers paradise.

I was looking at some news reporter up there and they said total is about 4' OTG

• Like 2

To say that New York City and Philadelphia are digging out of their biggest snowstorm of the winter so far would be somewhat of an exaggeration, but not a complete exaggeration. Yesterday's snowfall of 2.1" in Central Park and 0.2" in Philadelphia are both cities' largest snowfall of winter 2019-20. It has been a bleak winter in terms of snowfall across much of the Middle Atlantic region.

To add insult to injury, the pattern evolution has become less favorable for meaningful snow through the remainder of January. Even the previously bullish CFSv2 weeklies have now delayed the onset of a cold pattern beyond the first week of February.

Should New York City finish January with less than 6.0" total snowfall for the season, winter 2019-20 will join 34 previous cases. The mean snowfall for the remainder of the season during those prior cases was 13.5" and the median was 10.6". The most was 43.0" during winter 1895-96 (30.5" in March). The least was 0.0" in winter 2001-02. In 11 (32%) cases, New York City received 15.0" or more snow during the remainder of winter. In 16 (47%) cases, New York City received less than 10.0" snow for the remainder of winter.

In addition, the temperature has yet to fall below 20° this month in Central Park. New York City's minimum January temperature was 20° or above in seven prior years, most recently 2002. Five of those cases went on to record much below normal snowfall in February. Two (1949 and 1993) had somewhat above normal February snowfall (10.7" in both cases).

Still, things could be worse. Instead of infrequent but picturesque light snowfalls, the region could be experiencing the non-winter that has gripped Europe throughout the season. Today, the thermometer is again flirting with record high temperatures in parts of Estonia, Finland, and Russia.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

To say that New York City and Philadelphia are digging out of their biggest snowstorm of the winter so far would be somewhat of an exaggeration, but not a complete exaggeration. Yesterday's snowfall of 2.1" in Central Park and 0.2" in Philadelphia are both cities' largest snowfall of winter 2019-20. It has been a bleak winter in terms of snowfall across much of the Middle Atlantic region.

To add insult to injury, the pattern evolution has become less favorable for meaningful snow through the remainder of January. Even the previously bullish CFSv2 weeklies have now delayed the onset of a cold pattern beyond the first week of February.

Should New York City finish January with less than 6.0" total snowfall for the season, winter 2019-20 will join 34 previous cases. The mean snowfall for the remainder of the season during those prior cases was 13.5" and the median was 10.6". The most was 43.0" during winter 1895-96 (30.5" in March). The least was 0.0" in winter 2001-02. In 11 (32%) cases, New York City received 15.0" or more snow during the remainder of winter. In 16 (47%) cases, New York City received less than 10.0" snow for the remainder of winter.

In addition, the temperature has yet to fall below 20° this month in Central Park. New York City's minimum January temperature was 20° or above in seven prior years, most recently 2002. Five of those cases went on to record much below normal snowfall in February. Two (1949 and 1993) had somewhat above normal February snowfall (10.7" in both cases).

Still, things could be worse. Instead of infrequent but picturesque light snowfalls, the region could be experiencing the non-winter that has gripped Europe throughout the season. Today, the thermometer is again flirting with record high temperatures in parts of Estonia, Finland, and Russia.

you mentioned 1895-96 which didn't really get started until February and had a great March....another analog of hope would be 1913-14...it was worse than this year until Feb. 10th...1992-93 didn't get started until February...same for 1994-95...1995 did not have a good March...March 1993 had the super storm...March 1914 had a super storm...March 1896 had a foot of snow mid month...some other el nino winters that started late...1899-00 had hardly any snow until Feb. 17th...1991-92 was terrible until the last week of winter and first day of Spring...some other years... 1905-06...1923-24...1918-19 was the worst winter for snow did have its biggest snowfalls in March...the worst of all the el nino winters was 1997-98 and a last minute snowfall in March save it from being the worst snow season...Last winter had a good first week in March...I'm hoping we will get a good if not great March to salvage this winter...

To see these pics one would think that 5+' of snow had fallen, but reading that it was 'only' 27", my first thought was heck various parts of the tri-state area have seen amounts like this in the past 10 years, much of which occurred in blizzard conditions, yet I don't recall pics or videos quite like this,.  Even accounting for the fact that cameras and social media are even more prevalent now than say 5 years ago, what's the difference between this storm and ours?  Was this different because the the wind was waaayyy stronger?

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

To see these pics one would think that 5+' of snow had fallen, but reading that it was 'only' 27", my first thought was heck various parts of the tri-state area have seen amounts like this in the past 10 years, much of which occurred in blizzard conditions, yet I don't recall pics or videos quite like this,.  Even accounting for the fact that cameras and social media are even more prevalent now than say 5 years ago, what's the difference between this storm and ours?  Was this different because the the wind was waaayyy stronger?

I think it's because the winds were very strong like Cp mentioned, and they already had snow on the ground too.

8 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Yeah that porch had 5 feet of snow easily. I believe the airport measured 30" but maybe other locales saw more

Historic event for that part of Canada.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/weathersummaries_e.html#NL

Weather summary
for Newfoundland
issued by Environment Canada
at 3:00 p.m. NST Sunday 19 January 2020.

Discussion.

A powerful January storm brought intense winds and record-breaking 
snowfall to parts of Newfoundland on Friday into Friday night. 

A new all-time daily snowfall record was established at St. John's 
International Airport. 

New record: 76.2 cm (January 17, 2020). 
Previous daily record: 68.4 cm (April 5, 1999). 
Records began in 1942. 

The above total is applicable for the January 17 climatological day, 
which is a 24 hour period ending at 2:30 A.M. NST on January 18. An 
additional 2.0 cm was recorded after 2:30 A.M. 

The area of low pressure responsible for the snow and wind emerged 
from the northeastern United States early Thursday and began to 
rapidly intensify as it moved over the Gulf of Maine. The system 
deepened into a powerful storm as it tracked southeast of the Avalon 
Peninsula on Friday, before departing into the North Atlantic early 
Saturday. 

The storm battered the eastern half of the island with heavy 
snowfall, extremely high winds and damaging coastal storm surge. 

The following is a summary of information received by Environment 
and Climate Change Canada as of 2:30 P.M. NST Sunday. 

Total snowfall (in centimetres): 

Mount Pearl: 93 
Paradise: 91 
St. John's East: 82 
St. John's International Airport: 78 
Mount Carmel: 61 
Lethbridge: 48 
Gander International Airport: 35 
Gander West: 35 
St. Lawrence: 31 
Grand Falls-Windsor: 10 

Maximum wind gusts (in kilometres per hour): 

Green Island, Fortune Bay: 171 
Bonavista: 164 
Grates Cove: 156 
Heart's Delight-Islington: 156 
Cape Pine: 146 
Green Island, Trinity Bay: 145 
Twillingate: 140 
St. John's - Doheney Place: 134 
St. John's - East White Hills: 132 
St-Pierre: 130 
St. John's - Dockyard: 129 
Pass Island: 126 
Allan's Island: 116 
Holyrood: 114 
Bishop's Cove: 113 
Ramea: 109 
St. Lawrence: 106 
Burgeo: 105 
St. John's West: 105 
Deer Park: 101 
North Harbour: 101 
Gander: 97 

At St. John's International Airport the official wind sensor 
malfunctioned during the storm. Reported winds were estimated to be 
between 65 and 85 knots (120 to 157 km/h). However, it will likely 
not be possible to provide a verified maximum gust. 

The wind sensor at Gander International Airport also briefly 
malfunctioned. The highest gust at the nearby Gander climate station 
was measured as reaching 97 km/h. 

The following area set a daily minimum temperature record on January 
18, 2020: 

Winterland Area (Winterland Branch Hill) 
New record of -17.9 
Old record of -17.8 set in 2001 
Records in this area have been kept since 1970 

Note: the temperature record reported here has been derived from a 
selection of historical stations in this geographic area that were 
active during the period of record.

Please note that this summary may contain preliminary or unofficial 
information and does not constitute a complete or final report.

End/NLWO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

I think it was hard to get a real total in new foundland because it was a lot of blowing and drifting, I doubt 5 actual feet fell

The highest storm total I saw was 36 inches and it was only one place, The airport at St. Johns was a little shy of 31 inches. Maybe some are confusing the cm totals with inches.

• Like 2

I know it's too far out for accuracy but I need to drive down to FL on 1/30-31 and don't really want to buy new winter tires for the car. Are the chances I have at least above freezing temps for the drive pretty good? I'm good with rain but snow kind of leaves my car parked without the right shoes. I'll worry about the home trip on 2/10 when the time comes.

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

It has been 4 years since nyc saw  snowfall over 10 inches from a storm. 

I haven't pulled an  all nighter since that storm.

This winter is another failure and might me the worst ever.

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

Huh? outside of this winter so far NYC has had a 6" storm every winter back to 13/14.

56 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Yes but not recently 

For fuks sake. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nycwinter said:

i already have given up on winter .. but i do expect a cold wet spring into june...

Keep us posted.

Never was quite sure what it means to give up on winter or throw in the towel or whatever verbiage you please. If it snows, will you protest and stay in bed until it's over? Will you simply refuse to acknowledge the sensation of cold until next December?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3