Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

2 hours ago, PackGrad05 said:

Hey all.  I'll be in the Jersey City/NYC area this weekend visiting family.  Never been up there when it snowed!  Do a lot of things shut down when it snows, such as PATH train, stores, museums, etc..?  Keep in mind that I'm coming from a Raleigh, NC perspective when lots of things shut down if it snows.  

If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize.  Thanks

agree with BX not much will close for this-you need a monster storm for that to be the case.

On 1/12/2020 at 2:29 PM, Rjay said:

And then the grande finale

Screenshot_20200112-142717_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142723_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142731_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142738_Gallery.jpg

Yeeeeeah, that didn’t age well. I had about 3 ft of water in my house and wind gusts over 80 (as strong as anywhere due to Sandy’s huge size and the high north of it, maybe worse actually since LI was in the middle of the sting jet). Models (the decent ones anyway) were pretty clear on it expanding in size, phasing with a strong incoming trough like the Perfect Storm but worse, and banking NW into NJ for days and we would get wrecked from something like that. Following the GGEM or GFS for a tropical/hybrid system? LMAO 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 7:49 AM, doncat said:

The problem is some posters are just a broken record...same thing every post. Ever notice how with some, you know what they posted even before you read it lol.. It's amazing how well that works for some.

I’m a storm mode mod and delete what garbage I can, but the worst are the ridiculous troll threads that become 20 posts in 10 minutes that have to be deleted because adults act like toddlers. Or the posts that are needlessly confrontational etc. This is an internet weather board. Take it to a banter thread, PM, your therapist, or better yet don’t take it anywhere, grow up and keep it to yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

I’m a storm mode mod and delete what garbage I can, but the worst are the ridiculous troll threads that become 20 posts in 10 minutes that have to be deleted because adults act like toddlers. Or the posts that are needlessly confrontational etc. This is an internet weather board. Take it to a banter thread, PM, your therapist, or better yet don’t take it anywhere, grow up and keep it to yourself. 

Please don't take it to your therapist....last thing a professional needs is a depressed snow weenie in the group.....he' d be surrounded by people suffering from SAD and they would not be understanding....gadzooks one could never make bank by setting up a group for people who don't get enough snow in their lives....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Very much looking forward to another 2-3 months of a red tagger barking "you're wrong" at ppl without giving any reason why

Some well known posters here and elsewhere were claiming in early December that December to January was going to rock. Clearly blown forecasts, but these certain individuals are untouchable so nobody challenges them. 

4 hours ago, psv88 said:

Some well known posters here and elsewhere were claiming in early December that December to January was going to rock. Clearly blown forecasts, but these certain individuals are untouchable so nobody challenges them. 

So challenge them.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Huh? For all intents and purposes it hasn’t started. Wall to wall winters are super rare here and will be even more so moving forward. Be happy with a solid 30-45 day period on the way

Please...lets give this a rest already

Last week I was running shirtless (and sweating) And there was talk of a six-inch plus snowstorm this weekend when it was very obvious that we had another cutter

Now, onto the 24th...

When the good stuff is always 10 days away on models that arent reliable 10 days out...you are in trouble

I will get flamed for this...and frankly I dont care...Good winters dont start like this.

Yes, someone is going to post an analogue from the 1930s or 1940s and tell me I am wrong...but the vast majority of time in NYC, if you have a flaming bag of dog poop through 1/20, your winter is in that bag.

At this point, hope for a 94-95 11 incher followed by some biting cold to get your fill. Anything else will be a bonus. (that also ended in rain that garbage winter)

16 minutes ago, David-LI said:

Are we gonna have brutal cold followed by rain storms rinse repeat the whole winter?

18z gfs has the perfect costal track for the 25th. Unfortunately, the bl is torch with the lakes low.  At least the cutters will be gone after Saturday 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Please...lets give this a rest already

Last week I was running shirtless (and sweating) And there was talk of a six-inch plus snowstorm this weekend when it was very obvious that we had another cutter

Now, onto the 24th...

When the good stuff is always 10 days away on models that arent reliable 10 days out...you are in trouble

I will get flamed for this...and frankly I dont care...Good winters dont start like this.

Yes, someone is going to post an analogue from the 1930s or 1940s and tell me I am wrong...but the vast majority of time in NYC, if you have a flaming bag of dog poop through 1/20, your winter is in that bag.

At this point, hope for a 94-95 11 incher followed by some biting cold to get your fill. Anything else will be a bonus. (that also ended in rain that garbage winter)

Where were you the last 10 years? 14/15 started on 1/20 as the foremost example. Patterns like to lock in our current climate and a change to cold is on the way. Find the cold find the snow... Even last years disaster had a nice 10 day blitz. This is not 01-02 or 11-12.

11 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

We're finally paying for all those blockbuster years though I don't think this winter will be a wash. 

Not looking forward to the cold later this week though. I'm already longing for spring after last weekend's beautiful weather.

Our average is what it is for a reason. We had to pay for the bonanzas with lousy seasons like these. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Our average is what it is for a reason. We had to pay for the bonanzas with lousy seasons like these. 

I think the big difference between stinker years today and 30-40 years ago ( and I was around for them ) is you did not have the ridiculous warmth. You still knew it was winter, alright. And if you walked to the bus stop without gloves on it would sting....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I think the big difference between stinker years today and 30-40 years ago ( and I was around for them ) is you did not have the ridiculous warmth. You still knew it was winter, alright. And if you walked to the bus stop without gloves on it would sting....

You will get your fill of cold dry next week. 

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

The snow, even in bad years, stuck around a lot longer and you didn’t have to go to a building to play hockey you just had to have a lake or pond nearby. 

Geez I’m starting to sound like my father. 

21 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

You will get your fill of cold dry next week. 

I could live without it TBH. I'd have no issues moving to a milder climate if I didn't have the godawful heat in summer. Reason I didn't buy a summer place in ME, while I love it there, is the season is too short and I don't want to retire there. Splitting wood and sitting inside for months or trying to ice fish are not for me. I'm no outdoorsman, but I like to spend time on a lake or the ocean casting about. I can do that all winter not too far south from here. I would miss the snowstorms, but thems the breaks. Mulan, an old poster here who always had a comic relief effect, moved to FL a few years ago. He seemed to get used to it; the bass were biting, he said....but, FL is not for me for other reasons ( snakes, gators, land crabs....tropical heat...)

28 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The snow, even in bad years, stuck around a lot longer and you didn’t have to go to a building to play hockey you just had to have a lake or pond nearby. 

I can remember the local ponds freezing and we all had ice skates and would go skating. I can't imagine that around here anymore. And that ice lasted most of the winter. Now you do have to go to the local rink.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

I could live without it TBH. I'd have no issues moving to a milder climate if I didn't have the godawful heat in summer. Reason I didn't buy a summer place in ME, while I love it there, is the season is too short and I don't want to retire there. Splitting wood and sitting inside for months or trying to ice fish are not for me. I'm no outdoorsman, but I like to spend time on a lake or the ocean casting about. I can do that all winter not too far south from here. I would miss the snowstorms, but thems the breaks. Mulan, an old poster here who always had a comic relief effect, moved to FL a few years ago. He seemed to get used to it; the bass were biting, he said....but, FL is not for me for other reasons ( snakes, gators, land crabs....tropical heat...)

I lived in TX for two years. Of course I missed the biggest snowstorm to hit my backyard since 1996 and maybe even before (Jonas in 2016). 

27 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The coldest stretch of weather I have experienced was probably December 2017. I believe we were below frz for two weeks. No, it wasn’t in 1852 when we skated on ponds and Manhattan was covered in snow all winter.

A guy I worked with 30 years ago claimed he  had a picture of his grandfather standing on ice next to Old Orchard Light ( blown away by Sandy )in Raritan Bay.

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

I lived in TX for two years. Of course I missed the biggest snowstorm to hit my backyard since 1996 and maybe even before (Jonas in 2016). 

Yeah, I remember that. But it didn't have the same feel as others, because it was so warm in Dec, and that 26+ inches was gone in a hurry. We had one 3 inch event after that in Feb. That was it. Nothing of serious consequence IMBY since. Some notable misses though.

24 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I sadly was around for them too, and I"m starting to sound like my father too.   My father (maybe yours too) had the late 50s/60s as his frame of reference though, so for me growing up in the 80s, when he would blah-blah every storm except specifically the blizzard of 83, in hindsight I can understand why.  

I'd never trade the ~2002-2018 run, but it spoiled us.  3-6 used to be cool, and 6-12 felt like once in a blue moon, which it was.  12-18 is the new 3-6.  Kind of like as a Yankees or Giants fan anything short of a world series is a disappointment, vs a Mets or Jets fan who is happy to get anything.

The other thing that ruins everything is being able to see out 14+ days, which unless one lives in the arctic is going to include some warmup.  It's led to 'sure it's going to snow 4" and we'll have some nice crisp cold below normal  weather this fine Christmas time week, but it's going to warm up in 14 days around Christmas so what's the point of it all anyway???'  Or being in the midst of a blizzard and hearing 'yeah but look out for that torch in 9 days.'

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Very true

Seems as though there was much less precipitation in winter overall in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s