• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

There are probably a few things that we can do to make this place run more smoothly. We should refrain from posting certain types of maps that have been proven to be very low skill.

Any snowfall maps beyond 120 hrs

10:1 snowfall maps in marginal conditions.

Any very long range OP runs such as the GFS from 240 to 384 hrs

Some helpful hints to improve the model discussions

When discussing a 6-10 day storm threat or pattern, try to rely more on ensemble means until we get closer to 120 hrs.

Remember that human nature likes to extrapolate the current conditions forward. This means in warm pattern we get a bunch of winter cancel posts that seem to derail the threads. The same thing happens in cold patterns when some posters claim that it won’t eventually get warm again. And if a warmer forecast is presented when it’s cold, don’t go after that poster for hating winter or having a warm bias.

Respect your fellow posters and never shut down  conversations that presents varying opinions about an upcoming forecast.

Following these guidelines will improve the long ranges forecasts and discussions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

There are probably a few things that we can do to make this place run more smoothly. We should refrain from posting certain types of maps that have been proven to be very low skill.

Any snowfall maps beyond 120 hrs

10:1 snowfall maps in marginal conditions.

Any very long range OP runs such as the GFS from 240 to 384 hrs.

Some helpful hints to improve the model discussions

When discussing a 6-10 day storm threat or pattern, try to rely more on ensemble means until we get closer to 120 hrs

Remember that human nature likes to extrapolate the current conditions forward. This means in warm pattern we get a bunch of winter cancel posts that seem to derail the threads. The same thing happens in cold patterns when some posters claim that it won’t eventually get warm again. And if a warmer forecast is presented when it’s cold, don’t go after that poster for hating winter or having a warm bias.

Resoect your fellow posters and never shut down a conversations that presents varying opinions about an upcoming forecast.

The problem is some posters are just a broken record...same thing every post. Ever notice how with some, you know what they posted even before you read it lol.. It's amazing how well that works for some.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, doncat said:

The problem is some posters are just a broken record...same thing every post. Ever notice how with some, you know what they posted even before you read it lol.. It's amazing how well that works for some.

I think that they can do better if they try. It would make things so much easier. It’s tough having to wade through all those posts since it takes the attention away from the actual weather. Makes it harder to find relevant posts that get lost in the mix.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, doncat said:

Posters here are like cartoon characters of themselves.  Same well-worn tropes day after day.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

I think that they can do better if they try. It would make things so much easier. It’s tough having to wade through all those posts since it takes the attention away from the actual weather. Makes it harder to find relevant posts that get lost in the mix.

Half of them get hidden.  Mods can't be on here 24/7.  Every Christmas I'm asked what I want.  And all I want for Christmas is for people on here to act like adults! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Half of them get hidden.  Mods can't be on here 24/7.  Every Christmas I'm asked what I want.  And all I want for Christmas is for people on here to act like adults! 

I wasn’t referring to the moderators. The post was addressing ways for the members to make this a better place. You guys have enough to do without having to worry about this type of behavior. The whole moderating team does an amazing job here. I can’t imagine what it was like for the moderating team to have to delete all the Sandy is going to bust posts that day. It was a stressful situation enough without all that side drama. My electricity was going on an off and the bust posts made the thread very hard to read.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I wasn’t referring to the moderators. The post was addressing ways for the members to make this a better place. You guys have enough to do without having to worry about this type of behavior. The whole moderating team does an amazing job here. I can’t imagine what it was like for the moderating team to have to delete all the Sandy is going to bust posts that day. It was a stressful situation enough without all that side drama. My electricity was going on an off and the bust posts made the thread very hard to read.

I know you weren't talking about Bx and I.  I was just commenting on your post.

44 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Screenshot_20200112-141211_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ec648db43828934bb2326057f455f575.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-141443_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-141158_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142611_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142618_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142623_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142640_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142643_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142653_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200112-142711_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Even J. Marley and his three friends would have trouble getting that one done for you. As always ....

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

And then the grande finale

I just don’t get that while the storm is in progress. I saw a bunch of similar  posts while I was  trying to go through the storm observations.  You guys really had your hands full. The Euro and EPS forecasts from 7-8 days out were superb.

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/elibrary/10913-evaluation-forecasts-hurricane-sandy

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I just don’t get that while the storm is in progress. I saw a bunch of similar  posts while I was  trying to go through the storm observations.  You guys really had your hands full. The Euro and EPS forecasts from 7-8 days out were superb.

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/elibrary/10913-evaluation-forecasts-hurricane-sandy

Even by 4 days out the storm was extremely well-modeled.

31 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Those posts were all great..."not alot of tree damage" ...cue 2-3 weeks with no power area wide due to the massive tree damage. Guy is wrong every season, every year

Extensive tree damage, even after the March 2010 Nor’easter and Irene cleared out a lot of the weaker trees.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Precisely why I read more than I post.

Theres nothing wrong with attempting educated guesses, posting thoughts, etc. its the bad science, the trolling (which is so odd from adults), and the fake pessimism so they can enjoy the positive busts in their own mind that are obnoxious. At least act like you just claimed winter over when you come back and post about 50” in a month after the declaration. The lack of humility by some who seem to think they have it all figured out makes threads unreadable. Its why ill delete comments expressing sure things...if you want to come back here and say “i told you so” when youre right, but when you are wrong, you act like you didnt just shit all over threads for weeks on end, its time to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Those posts were all great..."not alot of tree damage" ...cue 2-3 weeks with no power area wide due to the massive tree damage. Guy is wrong every season, every year

There are trails locally that never reopened because they couldn't clear all the trees. Walking paths I had used for a decade were blocked. Some of those dead trees are rotting away enough to walk some of those areas again. I'll never forget the local mall parking lot filled with timber, and the local parks filled with mountains of wood chips.

13 hours ago, psv88 said:

Looks like those posts were made just before the winds swung around to ESE and really went off the scale. Up until that point (to a novice) it looked like we dodged a bullet. The tide posts I do not get, high tide hadn’t occurred and he was claiming victory. Either was that was the most epic bust on this forum of all time. He was like the captain on the titanic saying we can still make it when the ship was up in the air.

• Haha 3

Hey all.  I'll be in the Jersey City/NYC area this weekend visiting family.  Never been up there when it snowed!  Do a lot of things shut down when it snows, such as PATH train, stores, museums, etc..?  Keep in mind that I'm coming from a Raleigh, NC perspective when lots of things shut down if it snows.  

If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize.  Thanks

13 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Hey all.  I'll be in the Jersey City/NYC area this weekend visiting family.  Never been up there when it snowed!  Do a lot of things shut down when it snows, such as PATH train, stores, museums, etc..?  Keep in mind that I'm coming from a Raleigh, NC perspective when lots of things shut down if it snows.  

If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize.  Thanks

You should be good, PATH and subways will be fine, most of manhattan barely looks like it snows unless its real heavy anyway lol. 

• Like 1