Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

2 hours ago, Jacob brooklyn said:

Yes, there is a psychological component to it i believe. I have my theories 

I suspect it is rooted in the magic of childhood snow days; a day off from school, unexpectedly, and a day with friends sledding and having snowball fights. In the past kids in the neighborhood all did this together, differences were put aside, and there were no cellphones and only a handful of tv stations. There was the thrill of hiding behind a snow bank and tossing snowballs at passing cars, before there were cameras everywhere to record the deed. You never knew what would happen til the next morning. You didn't get calls the night before or an email or a posting on a school website canceling the next day because the Euro said you were going to get 2 feet, when you wound up with 3 inches....no, you had to wait til the next morning, and it if it wasn't cranking, you were going to school. Bummer. It was before life became complicated, with mid-terms, exams, dating, teen angst, the drudgery of becoming a wage slave, and having to drive to work in the snow to satisfy the boss man ( or lady ) who expected fealty for giving you the privilege of a job....think "Rosebud." Anyone who has watched through curtains at night, longing for the snow to fall, could understand the meaning of that last gasp...."Rosebud"......indeed.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, forkyfork said:

what's so great about snow? seriously asking. i mean i enjoy a big storm but the obsession some of you guys have is weird as hell

Forky some people like Hunting others Cooking,,,other like the beach -----> luv the Snow and I believe you are down playing it as it is more than an obsession :snowing:

31 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I suspect it is rooted in the magic of childhood snow days; a day off from school, unexpectedly, and a day with friends sledding and having snowball fights. In the past kids in the neighborhood all did this together, differences were put aside, and there were no cellphones and only a handful of tv stations. There was the thrill of hiding behind a snow bank and tossing snowballs at passing cars, before there were cameras everywhere to record the deed. You never knew what would happen til the next morning. You didn't get calls the night before or an email or a posting on a school website canceling the next day because the Euro said you were going to get 2 feet, when you wound up with 3 inches....no, you had to wait til the next morning, and it if it wasn't cranking, you were going to school. Bummer. It was before life became complicated, with mid-terms, exams, dating, teen angst, the drudgery of becoming a wage slave, and having to drive to work in the snow to satisfy the boss man ( or lady ) who expected fealty for giving you the privilege of a job....think "Rosebud." Anyone who has watched through curtains at night, longing for the snow to fall, could understand the meaning of that last gasp...."Rosebud"......indeed.

Very accurate description.   I think I get just as  excited as my kids for a snow day still.

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

That is correct. That is a big part of it. Childhood for one where it begins. A few key words that describe maybe why people get disappointed or frustrated when it does not produce snow.  So as we get older it becomes what? Many of us because of the snow love prefer colder weather winter season. Another theory is wasted time. A wasted season if it doesn't snow. Snow also has an affect on the mood for many positively in much the was a thunder storm is enjoyed but even better. I can give you a million reasons from my experience.  A lot of us winter lovers also in a way can appreciate the other seasons when the winter seems more fulfilling. Like I said i think it has to do with time and a winter that is not cold or snowy throws you off in a way. Like what was that? This is not normal? Now I have to wait until next year?  You get it.

40 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

3.9” here in Syracuse yesterday! :snowman: 

This snow is so fluffy and blew around so much that plenty of spots are nearly bare. It blew around like crazy yesterday afternoon. We got stuck under a skinny lake effect band in the evening which gave another inch or two. 

Years ago my brother lived about 20 miles SE of Syracuse, with good elevation, and each year I would visit at least once in the winter, right around now actually since his birthday is today.  I got to experience some terrific snow bands over those years up there.  Also got to experience ground blizzard conditions where we had trouble seeing past the hood of his pickup, complete whiteout but yet when I looked up I could see the sun and blue skies through the blowing snow.  I don't really care if others call it 'fake snow', its awesome to experience.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Years ago my brother lived about 20 miles SE of Syracuse, with good elevation, and each year I would visit at least once in the winter, right around now actually since his birthday is today.  I got to experience some terrific snow bands over those years up there.  Also got to experience ground blizzard conditions where we had trouble seeing past the hood of his pickup, complete whiteout but yet when I looked up I could see the sun and blue skies through the blowing snow.  I don't really care if others call it 'fake snow', its awesome to experience.    

I met coworkers for dinner last night and it was really treacherous and nasty when I left my hotel. An hour later, there were just a few clouds around and the band was gone. It really was from 8-9am and the evening when conditions were pretty bad. It was 9F this morning which made everything feel very wintry for a change. Of course it’ll all be gone in 24 hours and even here it’ll spike to 60 on Sat. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I met coworkers for dinner last night and it was really treacherous and nasty when I left my hotel. An hour later, there were just a few clouds around and the band was gone. It really was from 8-9am and the evening when conditions were pretty bad. It was 9F this morning which made everything feel very wintry for a change. Of course it’ll all be gone in 24 hours and even here it’ll spike to 60 on Sat. 

John you moved to Syracuse? Or you’re just there for work?

21 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

What’s their snow cover right now?

When I first got here it was practically nothing. There’s 2-3” where it hasn’t blown around. Other areas are nearly bare. Some big shopping mall piles are left from the early Dec storm that was rain for us. Not too far north of here in the Tug Hill there’s much more on the ground, where the snow was more persistent. But even here it’s been a below normal winter so far. I think there’s 35” for the season here when it should be over 50” by now. I’m told it’s very rare to have such little snow cover this time of year. 

• Like 2

So when is the consensus opinion on when the pattern changes and when we have the next real "threat"? I just looked at the 00z GFS 850 Temp/Precip and it kinda looks like nothing "coastal" (to my amateur eyes) in the longer term until maybe around 1/23 except inland runners. And I didn't check the upper air patterns at all. Thoughts?

On 1/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I am hoping in my lifetime no month ever comes anywhere close to comparing to December 2015. 

I still have nightmares about that month. I never bothered to check, and I'm sure someone here can, but that had to be the greatest deviation above average for a month since they've been keeping records in NYC. I believe it ended up 13-14 degrees above normal at NYC stations.

Sorry to tell you, but we’re experiencing it right now

This continued level of warmth for three weeks straight in January is simply unprecedented

We will get saved because the last week turns colder… But if this pattern that started on December 21 started a little later, We would’ve easily set the warmest January ever this month

This level of sustained warmth is simply unprecedented, the only thing close is December 2015

But if you stick around, you’re going to see this broken again in the next few years

Im becoming convinced that the warm winters with periods of cold are here to stay. 

No cold air from 1/1-1/19. 70 today and tomorrow

Simply amazing and historic

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

Sorry to tell you, but we’re experiencing it right now

This continued level of warmth for three weeks straight in January is simply unprecedented

We will get saved because the last week turns colder… But if this pattern that started on December 21 started a little later, We would’ve easily set the warmest January ever this month

This level of sustained warmth is simply unprecedented, the only thing close is December 2015

But if you stick around, you’re going to see this broken again in the next few years

Im becoming convinced that the warm winters with periods of cold are here to stay. 

No cold air from 1/1-1/19. 70 today and tomorrow

Simply amazing and historic

To  a degree what you say is true, but this stretch from December 22nd to January 16th or so will still not approach what December 2015 was. You had a whole month that averaged 13-14 degrees above normal area wide, and broke the record average for the month by 7 degrees. As bad as this stretch has been it still will not be that, despite today and tomorrows record setting warmth.

It was nice playing with the kids at the playground today. We were planning to go Ice Skating at Christopher Morley Park in Long Island. It's an outdoor skating rink but the rink looked like a pool. There was so much water due to the melted ice that they had to close it for today.