Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

23 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'd take another December '15 any day. We hardly had the heat running and I was mountain biking in shorts and t-shirts right through Christmas, 65* on Christmas eve at 8pm in the woods was awesome. If it's not going to be truly wintery spring is just fine. Give me snow or give me warmth, this in between garbage we've had this year is annoying.

It was sickening and abnormal. And yes, we are going to see it again, because the planet is burning up. I had tomato seedlings popping up that December. A tropical plant. Quite disturbing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2020 at 3:40 PM, weatherpruf said:

It was sickening and abnormal. And yes, we are going to see it again, because the planet is burning up. I had tomato seedlings popping up that December. A tropical plant. Quite disturbing. 

2001-02 was much worse in my view.... at least in 2015-16 winter was pretty exciting from about Jan 20th onwards.

It's par for the course but yesterdays totals of 0.9 inches at Newark, 0.7 inches at LGA and smack in the middle 0.2 inches at Central Park leads me to believe the Conservancy dropped the ball at the Park. It certainly wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last. The Conservancy has been better than the zookeeper but far from perfect, especially on the minor events.

15.0 inches to go by December 31, 2020 to get the 30 year average in the Park to 30 inches. What looked like a lock two years ago is starting to look iffy.

• Like 2

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It's par for the course but yesterdays totals of 0.9 inches at Newark, 0.7 inches at LGA and smack in the middle 0.2 inches at Central Park leads me to believe the Conservancy dropped the ball at the Park. It certainly wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last. The Conservancy has been better than the zookeeper but far from perfect, especially on the minor events.

15.0 inches to go by December 31, 2020 to get the 30 year average in the Park to 30 inches. What looked like a lock two years ago is starting to look iffy.

Was JFK just a T?  We had very little snow here aside from a dusting on car tops and roofs.

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Was JFK just a T?  We had very little snow here aside from a dusting on car tops and roofs.

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

JFK was 0.3

7 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The ironic thing is if we included 09-10 in this decade, the decade makes it over a 30"+ average by a nice margin.

Actually it's the 1990's that will keep the next 30 year average near or just below 30 inches.

Since January 2001 the seasonal average in  NYC is 33.2 inches.

The period from January 1991 when they begin the next 30 year period calculation through December 2000 the ten year average was only 25.4 inches, despite the record breaking 95/96 season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Actually it's the 1990's that will keep the next 30 year average near or just below 30 inches.

Since January 2001 the seasonal average in  NYC is 33.2 inches.

The period from January 1991 when they begin the next 30 year period calculation through December 2000 the ten year average was only 25.4 inches, despite the record breaking 95/96 season.

The 1990s was transitioning away from the low points of the 70s and 80s.  We still haven't seen a winter as great as 1995-96 and 1993-94 was also really good.  Unfortunately they were book ended by winters that sucked (except 1992-93 which was about average here.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I wouldnt bet on it happening. 

And thats the beauty of long term averages, a few large anomalies dont move the needle too much.

If it did happen, given the garbage we see now, your best chance is a big March and November storm (sure to melt the next day) with nothing contributed in January February and December.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, binbisso said:

I just pulled up next to a salt spreader truck in the Bronx I rolled down my window the driver rolled down his I told him you'll be getting plenty of overtime in about two weeks he looked at me like I was nuts he said I hope so I said me too

There's this ominous feeling in me with the unusual warm weather this weekend, that we will pay for it dearly with a blockbuster snowstorm next month.

4 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

what's so great about snow? seriously asking. i mean i enjoy a big storm but the obsession some of you guys have is weird as hell

I really can't explain it but I have this condition since I was a kid and I am now in my late 50s. I remember my 14th birthday I got a weather radio that used to broadcast in megahertz I'd wake up every morning at 4:30 a.m. when the new update came out.  what I do like is tracking snow storms and how the landscape looks during and after. The one thing I hate is driving in it

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

what's so great about snow? seriously asking. i mean i enjoy a big storm but the obsession some of you guys have is weird as hell

“Weird” by definition can be quite subjective. From bird watching/photography, to fantasy sport leagues, to golf, to casual romance, to the love of snow. The least common denominator of all harmless obsessions is pleasure and enjoyment. If that to you is, indeed, weird, you have my sympathies even though your professional skill will always have my admiration. As always ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

It is different than rain, which is pretty much 95% of the precip that falls every year.   People that like rain are the weird ones!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forkyfork said:

When you get 10-12"/hr for 5 hours straight and the snowbank outside your window goes from sill level to over the eave and it gets dark in the living room at 1pm it really sinks in how awesome and terrible heavy snow really is. 16 hours of shoveling the next day totally brought it home. Thankfully the 7-11 across the street didn't run out of beer :) 

• Haha 1