Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

On 1/2/2020 at 5:33 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s exploded already more then likely, we just haven’t seen it yet. 
For everyone complaining about the lack of snow you do not have to go far to get to deep winter. I just saw every possible winter weather precip type over a three day period in Vermont. 1/4” ice storm, 2” of sleet including a sleet thunderstorm with 6 bolts. 4” of snow, a light snow break that lasted 24 hours and added another inch. And finally a snow squall that dropped 2” in 20 minutes. 

I'm not complaining about the lack of snow as much as all the damn rain we've been having, it's kicking up my allergies already.  I want snow or dry sunny weather, nothing else.  I wouldn't mind no rain for like 3 months lol.

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I hear it's pretty dry in eastern Australia at the moment ;)

too dry for me lol.

I was in the Poconos for the holidays and even there I was sneezing nonstop.  So it isn't a regional thing; I was shocked that I was having allergies in the middle of winter at 2,000 ft asl.

• Like 1

I was out on my mt bike yesterday and on S/SW exposures there is new growth popping through the leaves. I saw a few flowers too and the mosquitoes are doin' their thing already. This explains your allergies kicking in. The forest had started to go into hibernation but now it stopped and is moving forward. This is the same thing that happened in 11/12 and 97/98. If this fake cold shot doesn't shut it down again I'm gonna get ready to throw in the towel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

I was out on my mt bike yesterday and on S/SW exposures there is new growth popping through the leaves. I saw a few flowers too and the mosquitoes are doin' their thing already. This explains your allergies kicking in. The forest had started to go into hibernation but now it stopped and is moving forward. This is the same thing that happened in 11/12 and 97/98. If this fake cold shot doesn't shut it down again I'm gonna get ready to throw in the towel.

I was shocked because some are already comparing this to December 2015.

At least that one occurred earlier and we made somewhat of a comeback in late January and February.

I saw the pollen report and weeds were reported to be "high"- wondered what kind of weeds come out in January lol.

The shortest non growing season I've ever had was 2001-02, when I had roses blooming in late December and the first crocuses came out in late February.

The next winter made up for that of course, actually the next four did.

6 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm not complaining about the lack of snow as much as all the damn rain we've been having, it's kicking up my allergies already.  I want snow or dry sunny weather, nothing else.  I wouldn't mind no rain for like 3 months lol.

How’s this for dry?f875QSR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Made it to our country’s newest National Park today. White Sands National Park is the closest you can get to snow without being in snow. People sled down the dunes. Truly a treasure. Recommend it if you ever find yourself in that area of the country. 

AjffdWa_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 8:40 AM, LibertyBell said:

I was shocked because some are already comparing this to December 2015.

At least that one occurred earlier and we made somewhat of a comeback in late January and February.

I saw the pollen report and weeds were reported to be "high"- wondered what kind of weeds come out in January lol.

The shortest non growing season I've ever had was 2001-02, when I had roses blooming in late December and the first crocuses came out in late February.

The next winter made up for that of course, actually the next four did.

I am hoping in my lifetime no month ever comes anywhere close to comparing to December 2015. 

I still have nightmares about that month. I never bothered to check, and I'm sure someone here can, but that had to be the greatest deviation above average for a month since they've been keeping records in NYC. I believe it ended up 13-14 degrees above normal at NYC stations.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I am hoping in my lifetime no month ever comes anywhere close to comparing to December 2015. 

I still have nightmares about that month. I never bothered to check, and I'm sure someone here can, but that had to be the greatest deviation above average for a month since they've been keeping records in NYC. I believe it ended up 13-14 degrees above normal at NYC stations.

That was like right out of The Twilight Zone.  There was this one episode called "Midnight Sun" where the earth was heating up because it had wandered closer to the sun.  Ironically earlier that same year we had a negative departure month (February 2015) that was also a double digit anomalous month, but not quite on the same level as December 2015.  Have we ever had two double digit departure months in the same year, aside from 2015? (Especially two double digit departure months going in opposite directions lol.)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I think January 1932 had to have been close, at least for its time. Its departure from the long-term average is +11.2. 

• Like 1

I'd take another December '15 any day. We hardly had the heat running and I was mountain biking in shorts and t-shirts right through Christmas, 65* on Christmas eve at 8pm in the woods was awesome. If it's not going to be truly wintery spring is just fine. Give me snow or give me warmth, this in between garbage we've had this year is annoying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

I think January 1932 had to have been close, at least for its time. Its departure from the long-term average is +11.2. 

The unbelievable thing about 2015 was the negative double digit departure in the same year (February 2015) and also the fact that 2015-16 made a major comeback with a 30"+ snowstorm here in January and then a below zero low in February.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'd take another December '15 any day. We hardly had the heat running and I was mountain biking in shorts and t-shirts right through Christmas, 65* on Christmas eve at 8pm in the woods was awesome. If it's not going to be truly wintery spring is just fine. Give me snow or give me warmth, this in between garbage we've had this year is annoying.

That reminded me of Patrick Henry, "Give me liberty or give me death!"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I've lost all respect for you. :rolleyes:

• Haha 3