Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

11 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Okay maybe 700k-800k

Idk, before moving to Florida a couple years ago my parents sold a 2 family in really rough shape for $780k. Really rough shape....new owners completely gutted it and redid from top to bottom inside and out. I cant even imagine what they're into it all together. 

3 hours ago, Snow88 said:

It's insane

You have to be rich to afford the houses.

On my block in historic Cobble Hill ( some of us old timers still refer to it as postal zip 10031, Red Hook) a row house ( I don’t refer to them as federal brownstones ) was sold for over six million. A smaller building at the end of the block went clearance last year at 2.3 million. The new owners then gut the place and put in as much or more than they paid for it. All that and you still have no parking. The area seems to attract celebrities. My daughters tell me about the famous who live on, near and around. I know the nice folks in the Kane Street Synagogue next to me and the fine family on the other side. I have a nodding acquaintance with folks up and down the block, other  than that I am happy to preserve their anonymity, as I am my own. Anthony, Uncle is right, in 112 neighborhoods where the base row house price is seven figures, I still wouldn’t be comfortable walking at night unless I was dressed in your work clothes. As always ....

I'm a sales rep and travel all over the state, there are some unbelievably affordable spots and many of them are in serious snow zones. The hill towns south of Buffalo and the western Fingerlakes towns south of Rochester are just plain cheap places to live. Problem is persistently wet or white and grey and windy conditions are the norm but the good days are superb. Big snow in the winter making for great skiing and fat biking so if you can handle the cold you're good and beautiful continental influenced days in the summer with incredible skiing, mountain biking and fishing. The people that are making a living out there really seem to enjoy where they live, unfortunately that's getting harder and harder to do.

20 hours ago, Snowshack said:

No, wound up turning down that job as my wife couldn’t pull the trigger on moving to Maine.  I’m in financial services and have been fortunate but still envious of the climate and lifestyle up there.  You in law enforcement?

Nope.   I'm a criminal.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Is such a thing even possible?! 

well all the roads I could see with my eyes ;-) lol

the funny thing was that it would snow hard for like 20 minutes then cars would come through and you could see tracks, and then another snow squall would come through and bury the tracks again, this happened several times between 4 PM and 11 PM, the last one started around 10, snowed hard to about 10:30 and lower rates of intensity after that until it petered out by 11.

The first one that everyone was talking about wasn't the one that  laid the snow cover on the roads though, it was the ones that came after that.  I guess it was still too warm when the first one came through?

44 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

On vacation with some leisure time to scroll through the channels.  Stopped at TWC's AMHQ.  Listening to the hosts talk about travel conditions across the country, region by region, for minutes on end, reminds me of a kid stretching 50 words of content into a 250 word essay.

Ugh, I just tuned in and it's that Kelly chick on there who says "as well" at the end of every sentence.  I feel like sending a nasty tweet asking her if she ever passed grade school or does she have an addiction to saying "as well" at the end of every sentence?  It's just as nauseating as saying "like" all the time.  Just stop talking and end the sentence with whatever was said before "as well."  I consciously refuse to watch or listen to anyone who uses that phrase.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:30 AM, Snow88 said:

LI is horrible with the taxes. Way too expensive.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:31 AM, WestBabylonWeather said:

12K a year for a regular cape, gotta love it, its a second mortgage

The real problem is daycare. Public schools are great, but between 1 and 5, youll spend $70,000 per kid. For a young family with a house thats killer. You can easily make $200,000 + household income and be broke, living a modest life. Without daycare its a different story. But for young families, its is extremely hard to make ends meet and own a house in the NYC Metro area.

43 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Avg price of houses in Toronto is around $1,000,000. 

Guess we ain't the only ones. Sucks nowadays. 

all metro areas are bad around the world. London, Tokyo, Paris, all insanely expensive in the nice metro areas. Supply is less than demand, and prices rise. Straight forward explanation.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, psv88 said:

The real problem is daycare. Public schools are great, but between 1 and 5, youll spend $70,000 per kid. For a young family with a house thats killer. You can easily make $200,000 + household income and be broke, living a modest life. Without daycare its a different story. But for young families, its is extremely hard to make ends meet and own a house in the NYC Metro area.

$70k per kid?  Where the heck is the kid going?  We pay $6k for summer camp and around $26k for daycare/school at JCC for one kid.  It’s close to $70k for two kids though.