Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WINTER 2019/2020 BANTER

NYCSNOWMAN2020

9 hours ago, Snowshack said:

No need to go to Caribou - southeast Maine is a great spot.  Almost took a job with Portland PD many years ago but couldn’t get my wife to make the move.  You can almost triple our NYC annual snowfall just NW of Portland and still have true four seasons with both wilderness and real urban arenas close by.  

You're a police officer?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

A late friend had a place where he called it the "little" Adirondacks, which still got a ton of snow compared to here. He actually lived there but worked here in NJ, living in a trailer court in NJ. I get the feeling NJ is a place to work but live somewhere else....definitely retire somewhere else. For me, that will be someplace I can fish all year. Figure I can live without the snow, even though I enjoy the storms. Thought about going further north at one point, decided, ME in particular, just didn't offer enough milder weather. I don't like the heat either though. So looking at places like NC, SC, northern GA....but not FL. Or, maybe not....

It’s too bad you’d have to compromise on one of those points.  I think out west living near elevation can be the best of all worlds but it’s certainly a big move, especially in retirement. 

3 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

It’s too bad you’d have to compromise on one of those points.  I think out west living near elevation can be the best of all worlds but it’s certainly a big move, especially in retirement. 

Probably not affordable for a retired public employee and a wife with no pension and minimal 401k savings

21 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Probably not affordable for a retired public employee and a wife with no pension and minimal 401k savings

Flagstaff AZ is the right place. 2 hours south and it's summer 330 days a year and a few minutes uphill and you get 200+ inches a year. The city itself is at just about 7k feet and is actually a very affordable place.

34 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Flagstaff AZ is the right place. 2 hours south and it's summer 330 days a year and a few minutes uphill and you get 200+ inches a year. The city itself is at just about 7k feet and is actually a very affordable place.

Flagstaff has a very interesting climate and beautiful scenery.  For that matter, I'm a fan of the western U.S. in general.

My dilemma would be choosing what "landscape" to live near.  I like Montana and being in foothills of the Rockies, yet at the same time the high elevation parts of Arizona and New Mexico are intriguing too.

36 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Not interested in being that far from the coast. I like my saltwater fishing too. So that leaves the west coast, and that ain't cheap. So it's the south. But it seems like a nice place, I've looked at it before.

Here's a fix for ANT   

Wednesday
Snow, mainly after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 9. Wind chill values between -11 and -16. Breezy, with a southwest wind 26 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 10. Wind chill values between -10 and -15. Windy, with a west southwest wind 29 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 17. Wind chill values between -8 and -13. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 13. Windy, with a southwest wind 37 to 44 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 29 to 35 inches possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 18. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Here's a fix for ANT   

Wednesday
Snow, mainly after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 9. Wind chill values between -11 and -16. Breezy, with a southwest wind 26 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 10. Wind chill values between -10 and -15. Windy, with a west southwest wind 29 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 17. Wind chill values between -8 and -13. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 13. Windy, with a southwest wind 37 to 44 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 29 to 35 inches possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 18. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.

Where is this? That’s insane I need to have a winter house there when I become rich

48 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Not at all. It's better than that (330 is too much summer) and has quite cool summers.

46 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Here's a fix for ANT   

Wednesday
Wednesday Night
Thursday
Thursday Night
Friday

Um yeah, that would drive me nuts. I don't think I could handle a week of 20"+ snows lol

I'll take Thursday night into Friday, keep the rest. 

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Where is this? That’s insane I need to have a winter house there when I become rich

Gotta be either Sierra Nevada or Cascades.  Need a heck of a moisture feed for that.  Way more than we get in an entire season over a three day period, insane.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Gotta be either Sierra Nevada or Cascades.  Need a heck of a moisture feed for that.  Way more than we get in an entire season over a three day period, insane.

Remember a documentary about a guy who got stuck there during a snowstorm years ago. Dude starved to death in his van. Apparently some roads get closed in the winter there. It was really sad, the guy wrote letters of farewell to everyone.

55 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Remember a documentary about a guy who got stuck there during a snowstorm years ago. Dude starved to death in his van. Apparently some roads get closed in the winter there. It was really sad, the guy wrote letters of farewell to everyone.

Yeah not a place I'd want to be under any circumstances.

My fiancee  would never want to move to a cold and snowy climate.

If she would then I would most likely  move to the adirondacks.  

I spoke to a cop in Cooperstown and he said that there  are about 10 cops up there. 

The price of living is unbelievable.  I priced a 2 family house up there for 99k.

2 family house here in NYC  is around 600k-700k.

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

NYC sucks

Too much people, traffic and the rent is insane.

Yep, I’m putting in a few years building my resume here and then the plan is to move to a college in New England and run their grounds department and snow removal. Tons of schools up there that need a head of grounds. I’m so over New York City, I’d rather drive to work With no traffic from my 40 acre house. 

• Like 2

If I was ever rich, I would love to spend January and February in the Lake Tahoe area. That area receives so much snow during the winter and it comes in fury. Also there’s fishing during spring if I want to fish. I really love the area it’s so beautiful, but the real estate seems expensive. I’ve been to flagstaff it really is a beautiful little city the only issue is my ears get me usually with high elevation but locals tell me that you get used to it!

I spoke to a cop in Cooperstown and he said that there  are about 10 cops up there. 

The price of living is unbelievable.  I priced a 2 family house up there for 99k.

Brooklyn is over a million...

We’re up at our place near Gore about 20 times throughout the year.   My wife has come around to the fact that it’s not a cold and snowy place.  Spring and summer get just as warm as down here and there’s plenty to do.  Fall is spectacular.  Winter usually means three months of white ground, as it should.   It’s an adjustment but you’re not giving up a four season climate.  

Economic opportunity, especially within the park itself, is a different story though.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Where? That's a bargain.