Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Saturday night/Sunday morning looks ridiculously mild in the warm sector.

I was going to post that I'm looking forward to the last boomer of the year Sunday morning, but that secondary that the NAM is showing might well give up another clap of thunder Sunday night/early Monday morning.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

One of the wintriest Novembers on record followed by a terrible Dec. Starting Jan with a clean slate and avg snowfall to date. Jan-Apr eill dictate any meltdowns.

You always find the positive in everything. Your right, winter started with a bang around Halloween. Makes you wonder, did winter blow its load early? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

One of the wintriest Novembers on record followed by a terrible Dec. Starting Jan with a clean slate and avg snowfall to date. Jan-Apr eill dictate any meltdowns.

Let me show you the glass half empty version:

November is fall not winter, so you had one of the snowiest fall months on record which occurred in mostly one massive fluke and is now responsible for 80 % of your current average snowfall to date.    :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The secondary wave on the new 3km NAM looks pretty sweet. Impressive area of heavy snow up in Wisconsin with that by the end of the run.  Wish the wave would deepen about 12hrs earlier though so northern IL would get in on that lol.

Really goes nuts with deepening... probably too nuts lol.  

This thing is sort of like being in the mid Atlantic and watching a miller b develop too late and hammer Boston.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

I know December has shit the bed but how far are we from wettest year all time?

I believe ORD is at 48.16" which would be 5th all time as it stands. Maybe the 3rd spot is reachable. Not sure we will get 2.7"+ in the next few days to better the record.

Some of the master stat keepers here please correct me if numbers are off. 

1. 2008 - 50.86"

2. 2011 - 49.83"

3. 1983 - 49.35"

4. 2018 - 49.23"

5. 1970 - 46.09"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2019 at 6:14 PM, mimillman said:

Ah, I wasn’t using ORD, that’s the issue. Still, a risk of over performing on the temperature ahead of the weekend storm pretty much gets us there. Will be very close, kind of rooting for it so future generations understand how s**t this December was.

Update on this.  The 28th-31st has to put up a number of 190 for the combined high temperatures to tie the monthly average high for November (41.6) and 193 to break the November average high.

Today should be a 11:59 pm high, and perhaps crucially, Monday should have a midnight high... just how high is the question.  If we were having to rely on the daytime high on Monday, the monthly would be all but certain to come up short.  Midnight high just might bail it out.  I think the current LOT forecast for the 31st (35 degrees) is a bit too warm.  

I believe ORD is at 48.16" which would be 5th all time as it stands. Maybe the 3rd spot is reachable. Not sure we will get 2.7"+ in the next few days to better the record.
Some of the master stat keepers here please correct me if numbers are off. 
1. 2008 - 50.86"
2. 2011 - 49.83"
3. 1983 - 49.35"
4. 2018 - 49.23"
5. 1970 - 46.09"

Given how guidance has been trending, jumping from 5th to 2nd is a lock.

Maybe a very outside chance of 1st still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Calling it now.  Biggest snow at ORD on Mon-Tue since Veterans Day.

Unless I am missing something the biggest snow at ORD since 3.4" on Veterans Day has been 0.3". Seems very likely. For Detroit it's closer. The largest snowfall since 9.2" on Veterans Day has been 0.6", set twice.

• Like 2

Calling it now.  Biggest snow at ORD on Mon-Tue since Veterans Day.

Agreed. Still far enough out to change but like you said would have to be a big fail to not get more than 0.3". Possible that we get some snow showers/squalls on Monday that put down a couple tenths prior to the main snow Monday night.  

Only thing that gives me pause is that it's an atypical setup. However, hard to argue at this point against the overall solid model agreement. Euro ensemble strongly supports the 0.1"+ liquid amounts from the operational. I don't think we'll get 3-4" like on the Euro op Kuchera map but 1-2" max amounts seems reasonable.

• Like 1