Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

10 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, this is "blackrock" who used to live in Spring Lake. It's been some time since I have checked in on this forum. Saw you guys were getting some LES, so thought I'd check in. I see Bo is still making everybody drool at the mouth with his deep winter shots. :P

I miss the beauty and friendliness of West Michigan. The wife and I have talked about moving back years and years from now.

Didn't really snow much more overnight.  Maybe another 1/2" or so.  A little windy so I have drifts and bare pavement on my driveway.  You are welcome to come back anytime you want.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, this is "blackrock" who used to live in Spring Lake. It's been some time since I have checked in on this forum. Saw you guys were getting some LES, so thought I'd check in. I see Bo is still making everybody drool at the mouth with his deep winter shots. :P

I miss the beauty and friendliness of West Michigan. The wife and I have talked about moving back years and years from now.

The people are nasty around Syracuse too? I thought that was limited to I-95.

54 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

People here so cold, self-absorbed, and completely oblivious to others around them.

I've met some wonderful people though...and most of them are NOT natives to New York state.

Pretty odd. I’ve traveled all over the world and upstate New York has some of the nicest people ive ever met. You should see how they all come together during large lake snow events. Everyone helps each other out. Buffalo is known as the city of good neighbors. I know Syracuse has been going through a difficult time economically which could lead to some bad attitudes. Also the pace of life is different living in the country compared to a city/town. But I’ve never seen that which you just described anywhere in New York. Obviously everyone’s situation is different. Go to Pittsburgh or Boston or south Florida and talk about self absorbed. New York City is its own animal and the pace of life there is just different. It’s terrible in those locations. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Pretty odd. I’ve traveled all over the world and upstate New York has some of the nicest people ive ever met. You should see how they all come together during large lake snow events. Everyone helps each other out. Buffalo is known as the city of good neighbors. I know Syracuse has been going through a difficult time economically which could lead to some bad attitudes. But I’ve never seen that which you just described anywhere in New York. Obviously everyone’s situation is different. Go to Pittsburgh or Boston or south Florida and talk about self absorbed. It’s terrible in those locations. 

Interesting. People here seem miserable and overly-stressed out. I'm a "slower-paced" sort of person, so people here seem quite intense and in a rush. Very untrusting. Living in the Midwest for ten years, it has been a big culture shock to come back to the East coast.

Many of the people in the Syracuse area proclaim to be "introverts" and don't really seem to enjoy being around other people.

• Like 1

This is now among the 5% driest starts to December for Chicago.

Lowest December 1-20 precip:

0.10"  1941

0.11"  1896, 1962

0.13"  1872

0.15"  1988

0.16"  1913

0.17"  2019

0.18"  1989

0.21"  1900

0.23"  1930

If 0.06" or less falls through the 27th, which looks quite possible at this point, then it would be the second driest December through that day of the month.  More substantial precip does look to occur as we get into the last few days of the year so the month is probably unlikely to finish super high on the dry list.

DVN upped the point to 57 for Christmas day.  Maybe 60 is attainable?  Gonna have to wear an ugly Christmas tank top instead of a sweater lol.  

EDIT:  Record high at MLI for Christmas day is 59.  The Euro shows 55 for a high, and it's been under doing temps by several degrees.  For example it only has upper 40s for today, when mid 50s look likely.  Looks like a good chance for a new record, and the first 60 degree day for Christmas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

DVN upped the point to 57 for Christmas day.  Maybe 60 is attainable?  Gonna have to wear an ugly Christmas tank top instead of a sweater lol.  

EDIT:  Record high at MLI for Christmas day is 59.  The Euro shows 55 for a high, and it's been under doing temps by several degrees.  For example it only has upper 40s for today, when mid 50s look likely.  Looks like a good chance for a new record, and the first 60 degree day for Christmas.

Same here... we are only suppose to hit mid to upper 40's today, we'll easily see mid to upper 50's.    Christmas is gonna roast....I bet we hit low 60's.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, Hoosier said:

This is now among the 5% driest starts to December for Chicago.

Lowest December 1-20 precip:

0.10"  1941

0.11"  1896, 1962

0.13"  1872

0.15"  1988

0.16"  1913

0.17"  2019

0.18"  1989

0.21"  1900

0.23"  1930

If 0.06" or less falls through the 27th, which looks quite possible at this point, then it would be the second driest December through that day of the month.  More substantial precip does look to occur as we get into the last few days of the year so the month is probably unlikely to finish super high on the dry list.

All that precip throughout the year only to have December so dry.  

3 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

All that precip throughout the year only to have December so dry.  

Yeah, still locked into at least the 5th wettest year on record but it would be a big fail to not move up the list.  It was the wettest January to October for Chicago by a decent margin (46.12", second place is 43.74").

Guest ovweather

Louisville currently blow-torching at 63 degrees. The record high for Christmas is 68 degrees. That record could fall Wednesday.

Looking at the visible satellite, the snow pack from last week's storm across central Illinois and Indiana is trying desperately to hang on.