• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019 Discussion

Hoosier

It's the 10th anniversary of the upper Midwest winter storm of December 8-9, 2009. One of the few single-storm double-digit snowfall total events for MBY I can recall in my adult life, and especially one of the few such events occurring before Christmas. It was true heart-attack snow, the consistency of wet cement. Impossible to run in, brought down a few big tree limbs, and caused any single-stage snowblower to bog down, even the big one attached to the garden tractor. Would have been great for making snowballs, snowmen/forts/other snow sculptures, though.

• Like 3

Interesting how some offices went with an advisory instead of snow squall warning.  Seems like the snow squall warning is a better fit in this situation (low amounts, short duration) but what do I know.
At this point, with the steady weakening of the band, it doesn't really meet SQW criteria. Not working now so I'm not sure the exact discussions that went on but perhaps they felt it better fit a longer lead time with possible impacts into the commute from period of snow followed by quickly falling temps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A little update on ORD's precip 

48.15" has fallen so far this year.  An additional 2.72" is needed to become the wettest year on record for Chicago.  From December 11 to December 31, there have been 17 times that Chicago has recorded 2.72" or more, which is a little over 10% of the time.  With several more days of little precip to come, it's going to have to get really wet really fast to break the record.

Recorded 2.5" of snow with the system IMBY yesterday, snowdepth is ~7" Duluth which received 22" in the blizzard last week picked up another 6.5

Todays high of 7 with biting winds really made it feel like the first deep winter day around here. Already at -3F right now, should crack double digits by dawn. 

• Like 3