• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

19 hours ago, Wurbus said:

Knoxville tied the all time record high in January of 77 today. The only other time it was 77 in January was 1/25/50.

I have been to Knoxville twice since Christmas, and I am pretty sure you all broke record highs both time I was there.  I just need to start packing my flip-flops, swimming trunks, and beach towel for my trips in the future.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

I have been to Knoxville twice since Christmas, and I am pretty sure you all broke record highs both time I was there.  I just need to start packing my flip-flops, swimming trunks, and beach towel for my trips in the future.  

At least there was no melting ice rink in the middle of market square this time! Also to note, it's really odd to have a record high like we had, with strong southerly winds and a front moving through, and then go back to about 15 degrees above average the next day in the middle of winter. I think we hit 63 today and are forecast to be in the 60s most of the week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John1122 said:

Very heavy rain and more thunder than during the severe event Saturday when I didn't hear thunder here at all. 

Awesome.  I think we had thunder during Saturday's event.  There were so many transformers blowing as the wind rolled through here,  it was tough to distinguish between the two.  Looked like plenty of convective fireworks in SW VA though.   I would put the wind event for MBY as a top two event in the time I have lived here and maybe first.  If we would have had leaves on the oaks....the trees would have been dropped.  As it was, only the pines were affected.   Their shallow root systems combined with rainfall and little protection from the dormant deciduous trees allowed them to take a beating.  Some of those trees were 50-60 years old or even older.  

• Like 3

giphy.gif 

So it looks to me like it is starting near the X and, at least at the beginning while the flow is roughly NNW, it aims in general trajectory of the green cone. The red is the boundary of Sullivan county and I'm using it as a reference for the radar images. 

I know we've see this lee side stuff around the tip of Bays Mountain, but this seems like just a bizarre location for a upslope to start.

Thoughts? 

Here's a thought. What if the downsloping off Bays Mountain, Short Mountain, or Frozen Head is pushing air to either side and as this air runs into the dominate low level flow (at this point down the river valleys), there's confluence?

giphy.gif

There's downsloping on infrared and that Baileyton band is just to the NE of that downsloping.  

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Even some 30 dbz returns near I 81 at Baileyton. Exit 36 I think. If I still lived in Kingsport I'd chase this, lol! 

Wow thanks for sharing Holston. I’m off exit 15 on I81. Should have gotten up earlier. I could have run up the road a couple exits. I actually live on a ridge extension of Bays Mtn, known as Little Mtn, but it’s not helping me this AM. Nairy a flurry in the air that I’ve seen so far.