Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Possible Dec 1-3 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

It's been said by many before, including me, but if you work in the area and are at work now and can head home, I'd highly advise it, since snow at this rate will accumulate even on major highways and we all know what happened on 11/15/18 in a similar situation.  

I just advised the emergency management Merck folks in Rahway, who I used to work with (I retired last week after 30+ years) to consider sending people home early: my weather notes continue to be sent to about 400-500 people there, even post-retirement, which is kind of cool.  

Congratulations on your retirement; my wife is also in the research end of the pharma business. I have 31 years at my job as well, but will hang on a little while longer, til my youngest graduates. As you may remember, I'm a practicing MSW with an interest in the social aspects of weather; some here often wonder what the heck that means. I think you are a good example; folks valued your input and want to keep in touch with you, but I suspect it is more than that. I think when you have worked with people for years, you develop bonds, and they want to stay in touch in some way. Best of luck to you, I have always enjoyed your analysis.

• Like 1

Exactly. Will there be some places that end up under a band a get a few inches? Yep. But it's 2PM. And it's looking more and more to me like if you want to accept reality, this was way overblown (probably because of the mishap last year where that major storm was underforecast in advance). And I'm not so sure the NWS has been "decent". They started out with 6"-12" north/northwest of NYC. Then 3"-6". They're still showing 5"-10" for northern Westchester. Depends upon how you define "decent".
To Imply nws let's what happen last year affect their forecast now is horse crap to be honest. Cmon that's just not true. And people have to let the storm finish up before jumping ship.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Snowing moderately and 1.5" OTG as of 1:30 pm at 32F.  Roads are slushy, but not too bad, as long as one goes slowly, as I just made a food store run (an excuse to get out, lol); 287 and Route 1 are just mostly wet with a little slush so far, but will likely get worse by 3-4 pm, assuming the snow continues and as the sun goes down.  

Snowfall intensity the last hour has been light to moderate, so only got 1/2" in the last hourd with 2" OTG as of 2:30 pm.  Temp ia at 33F (been bouncing between 32 and 33F, just warm enough for some melting). 

The 18Z HRRR only has another 2" for most of CNJ/NNJ so I'm thinking most folks in warning areas aren't going to make it to the 5-8" range predicted for many of us if the model is correct.  I'm at 2" now and 2 more would be 4", which I'd be happy with - of course the HRRR is nowhere near being correct all the time.  Radar really looking ragged though vs. an hour or two ago.  Let's hope this thing cranks back up.  

6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

BL is the issue for us, upper levels are cold. Temp hasnt budged all day

I figured if it did anything, we were ready for snow, but we were dry for hours.  It looks great out there now and we are starting to get a coating, but this band could easily pivot west of us fairly quickly...or die out while another one buries us in subsidence.  Temp now 34.