• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Possible Dec 1-3 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

It's been said by many before, including me, but if you work in the area and are at work now and can head home, I'd highly advise it, since snow at this rate will accumulate even on major highways and we all know what happened on 11/15/18 in a similar situation.  

I just advised the emergency management Merck folks in Rahway, who I used to work with (I retired last week after 30+ years) to consider sending people home early: my weather notes continue to be sent to about 400-500 people there, even post-retirement, which is kind of cool.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Snowing close to heavily now here at 32F with 1/2" on the ground as of noon.  Gorgeous out there folks - go take a Jebwalk  Accumulating well on all surfaces now, which is easy at this rate and with the low sun angle.  

It's mainly just accumulating on colder surfaces where I am in Piscataway, despite the good snow rates. My road is still just wet. Temp is 33. We have a nice coating on colder surfaces.

It's been said by many before, including me, but if you work in the area and are at work now and can head home, I'd highly advise it, since snow at this rate will accumulate even on major highways and we all know what happened on 11/15/18 in a similar situation.  
I just advised the emergency management Merck folks in Rahway, who I used to work with (I retired last week after 30+ years) to consider sending people home early: my weather notes continue to be sent to about 400-500 people there, even post-retirement, which is kind of cool.  
What did you do for OEM?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Looks like this is where the band has set up.  Could be 6" or more in these locations and travel is going to be rough.  

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1134 AM EST Mon Dec 2 2019

NJZ001-007>010-012-PAZ055-062-021745-
Morris-Hunterdon-Sussex-Somerset-Middlesex-Warren-Monroe-Northampton-
1134 AM EST Mon Dec 2 2019

...AN AREA OF HEAVIER SNOW AFFECTING NORTHEASTERN HUNTERDON...
MORRIS...SUSSEX...WARREN...SOMERSET...MIDDLESEX...NORTHEASTERN
MONROE AND NORTHEASTERN NORTHAMPTON COUNTIES...

At 1132 AM EST, an area of heavier snow continues to slowly move
across much of northern New Jersey.

Snowfall rates up to an inch per hour will result in an increase in
accumulations on untreated surfaces and also significantly reduce
the visibility. Remember, bridges and overpasses tend to be colder
and therefore be more slippery.

Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be
prepared that untreated roads will quickly become slush to snow
covered during heavier bursts of snow. Slow down and allow extra
time when traveling.

Locations impacted include...
New Brunswick, Perth Amboy, Morristown, Somerville, Port Jervis,
Newton, Montague, Mount Pocono, Somerset, Edison, Old Bridge, East
Brunswick, Bridgewater, South Brunswick, Sayreville, North Brunswick,
Carteret, Dover, Madison and Hopatcong.

Taking into consideration the recent guidance and the observed data, my thinking is that NYC remains on track for a solid 3"-6" snowfall (EWR closer to 6"). Parts of northern New Jersey could see 6"-12".  To put this into perspective, NYC has had only four snowfalls of 3" or more during the first week of December since 1950. Three of those winters went on to have 40" or more snow.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

What did you do for OEM?

I started my winter weather emails at Merck in the late 90s and then I became head of one of our major synthetic chemical pilot plants in 2000 and part of that job is being on the Site Emergency Mgmt team, given the tons of  flammable solvents and chemicals we have on site and use in that building; then in 2008 I was put in charge of process safety for the site, so continued my involvement with the OEM team.  My weather notes started going to the OEM guys, in the early 2000s, especially since we were all involved in snow removal (our operators are involved in that as part of the contract) and they grew over the years, such that we set up a service to have them sent to about 500 subscribers in the company as of now.  I just do winter weather and tropical weather and it's mostly for fun, but people seem to like them.  So many people wanted me to continue with them after retirement that we have one of the admins taking my content from an email I send her and posting it for employees.  

• Like 1

I started my winter weather emails at Merck in the late 90s and then I became head of one of our major synthetic chemical pilot plants in 2000 and part of that job is being on the Site Emergency Mgmt team, given the tons of  flammable solvents and chemicals we have on site and use in that building; then in 2008 I was put in charge of process safety for the site, so continued my involvement with the OEM team.  My weather notes started going to the OEM guys, in the early 2000s, especially since we were all involved in snow removal (our operators are involved in that as part of the contract) and they grew over the years, such that we set up a service to have them sent to about 500 subscribers in the company as of now.  I just do winter weather and tropical weather and it's mostly for fun, but people seem to like them.  So many people wanted me to continue with them after retirement that we have one of the admins taking my content from an email I send her and posting it for employees.  
Showoff.

Jk that's awesome brother

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Congrats on your retirement!

• Like 1

Euro seems like it has feedback issues to me like UKMET with convection off the coast.  It puts too much precip over central and east LI in next 6 hours.  Its 18-00Z QPF for LI makes no sense to me.  It does match the 12KM NAM though for E NJ and the Metro with the idea there will be most of the accumulating snow 23-05Z 

It would be pretty hilarious if NYC ends up with more snow from this than BOS. I doubt that’s the case still but they only got 1.2” from yesterday and they’re sweating what happens today/tonight the same as us. The radar looks quite intriguing with the blowing up precip south of here but the evolution will have a mind of its own from here. Hopefully it keeps nudging east. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

It would be pretty hilarious if NYC ends up with more snow from this than BOS. I doubt that’s the case still but they only got 1.2” from yesterday and they’re sweating what happens today/tonight the same as us. The radar looks quite intriguing with the blowing up precip south of here but the evolution will have a mind of its own from here. Hopefully it keeps nudging east. 

the people sweating are the nws at upton if nyc gets 6 inches they will have egg on their face again..